Why Would Division 1 College Basketball Recruiting Yield Exactly the Same Recruiting OUTCOMES, If The Apparent PETROSHOECO-AGENCY COMPLEX Were Not Involved?

• I’m interested in hearing this POV articulated.

Assume NO Power AAU Team’s, because no Shoe sponsorship.

Assume no agents, or agent runners.

Assume no coaches or schools with enormous shoe contracts.

Why would recruiting outcomes come out the same?

• Banned

I think it’s obvious that the big money is really affecting the College game in today’s era. Coach Cal doesn’t even have to leave the UK campus to bring in the stellar recruiting classes he’s been getting. Look at Coach K who has been running the Duke program for like ever. Sure he’s always gotten his fair share of talent. Yet all of a sudden he too is banging out stellar recruiting classes. What happened? Did Coach K all of sudden change how he recruits? I think not.

To answer your question. I think one would have to look at recruiting through the eyes of a High school recruit. I would think there are three things a recruit looks at.

1. Playing time

2. National exposure

3. Can friends and family come and watch

To be honest I wander if the OAD effects recruiting more so than the Shoe petro. Any kid that has the goods has no choice but to seek playing time, and national exposure. They just don’t have time to attend a program that is rebuilding.

• @DoubleDD

Thanks for the thoughtful response. What do u make of those long stack recruiting classes that occurred for a couple years where U.K. would have a roster of Ten new and former OADs and Duke nine? Or the 2012 UK team with 6 OADs? Why were those OADs willing to sit?

• Banned

@jaybate-1.0

Well I really don’t have a good answer for you. It could be the stacks was a new thing. I would imagine Coach Cal promised equal playing time.

Remember the white and blue teams Coach Cal played around with?

I wouldn’t be surprised to see a correction in the whole stack approach. As Coach Cal is finding out they NBA cares more about potential than what a kid does in college. As he forced to recruit kids, to replace kids that could use another year of college ball.

I would also think the NBA would correct it’s self at some point to. As the cost for paying for potential and that talent not coming to fruition as to be weighing on GM’s across the nation. At some point a GM is going to pass on the going for broke approach and take the seasoned and proven player.

Then again I could be wrong.

• @DoubleDD

Good points. Still, the question is: why would 5 OADs want to play half the time and not? Fishy.

• @jaybate-1.0 less exposure to the shortcomings in their game. Go to UK as a highly ranked hs recruit and get drafted- you don’t have to play.

• @dylans I think you have offered a sound premise re exposure of weaknesses. Kids who are cast in the 34 minute role are bound to display every wart. Those who can be shuffled in and out of 20 minute production, their blips can be shielded.

• Another factor: Recruits who have to spend a year in college hope to avoid injuries. If they can play for and get exposure with an annual top ten program, remain injury free and not expose their warts, a win-win thing, even if they play only 22 minutes. Their McD’s status doesn’t get tarnished and they don’t sustain injuries which might curtail their future pro earnings. Selden and Ellis might have improved their draft status if they had been picked up by Calipari; might have gone to the league earlier. Oubre might have moved up a slot to lottery numbers. Kinda sad, to think so.

• @REHawk Perry was always going to have a hard time making it to the NBA regardless of where he played in college. Not strong enough for the 4, not quick enough for a 3, not a good enough shooter to be a stretch 4, average at best defender, and a subpar rebounder for his size. I love Perry as much as anyone that’s worn a KU jersey, but Perry has always been more suited for Euroball than the NBA.

• @Texas-Hawk-10 Yeah, you are probably right re Perry. One of my favorite KU players in the Bill Self years, but if he does find a slot in the NBA it will probably be a long shot as a backup player who earns rare minutes. Heck, even TRob struggles to glean minutes on an NBA court (although he has clocked millions of dollars, to date), and it looks as though he might be moving off from the Lakers…to what, his 6th or 7th franchise?

• @Texas-Hawk-10 “not a good enough shooter to be a stretch four”. What??? Perry was a complete boss at hitting outside shots his senior year. Not good enough compared to who?

• @HawkChamp

Ellis shot 0.438 from the 3 in his senior year, 0.376 in the G League.Pretty good if you ask me.

• @JayHawkFanToo Yep. Not sure what he/she is talking about

• The points made by @Texas-Hawk-10 on Ellis, though, but for the shooting part, probably makes it highly unlikely Ellis sticks. He’all make money playing basketball somewhere.

• @HawkChamp Ellis did not take a lot of 3’s and had a very slow and low shot.