Greatest comeback of all time

• This is a big reason why all of us love sports is it not ? Nights like last night. There is the flip side of course (just ask Atlanta fans ) Pleasure, emotion, stress (lots of stress last night ) passion, total engagement, incredulous joy. Pride, endorphins released…

Yikes

My week is now so much better

• @StLJhawk Didn’t hear the fat lady sing but I did hear the fat boy cry.

• @wrwlumpy We were not as stiff as that parrot but close. I heard the “bring out your dead!” Call, but by George, we were getting bettah!

• @jayballer54 I didn’t think we had a chance until we got the margin to 6. I don’t have a problem with those folks leaving…fans can do what they want. Plus, as someone pointed out, it wasn’t really that many. I did think later that if a lot of fans had left…we might not have won without the raucous environment.

• What is the point in a game where we say, ok, let’s beat the traffic? Nothing wrong with that kind of thinking, but I know if I was at that game I’m probably holding out hope at 14 down just under 3 minutes. Just under 2? Well, I’m probably walking slowly towards the door. Now if the team has given up, not fouling or whatever, then boom, I’m gone.

Some of this question depends on whether it’s my only KU game of the year, or in my case, the decade. Then I’ll probably stick it out to the bitter end. When I’m in Austin next weekend, I’m sticking to the end. I’ve seen the Jayhawks in person once since 1988 when I graduated.

Ranking this comeback in my own mind, well Memphis game is #1. That’s easy for me. It was just as improbable, but much more important. I’ll take this over the Missouri game. This is partially because one of my old students got married that afternoon and invited me, so I missed that whopper of a game. Maybe if I’d watched the Missouri comeback I’d place it above this.

Not sure how this one rates with KU comebacks in school history. Most of us weren’t around in the first half of the last century and therefore, have no memory of comebacks from that era. Surely we had some whoppers then too.

• @Fightsongwriter Its not the best. It is right up there with the best though!! That was a killer win by our guys. Killer!

I’m super psyched to see those guys grit out such a tough win like that. I mean, that toughness they showed last night!? That was right up there with the MU game come back and the 08 NC come back. Our boys showed they are tougher than anyone, as tough as anyone. They can win a game when their trey ball isn’t falling. They can win a game when their backs are against the ropes and getting pounded with foul trouble.

Rock Chalk Jayhawk!

• @Lulufulu Ku over UCLA = greatest wave of momentum, least important (non con)

Ku over MU = most emotional, greatest relief knowing what a loss would have meant for history

Ku over Memphis = most important, *Greatest not in the field house

Ku over WV = highest degree of difficulty, most improbable, deepest hole escaped in least amount of time, Self-described greatest pure comeback.

• I recalled a KU/OU game I was at in the mid-2000s where we were way down and came back and won. It ended up being Feb. 5, 2006. We were down 50-34 with less that 10 minutes left and won 59-58. Not the greatest, of course.

But I found a link to an old KU sports article with some comebacks – here’s the link: Comeback kids Thought this would interesting since this game would like be in the top 5.

I saw the Purdue game in 2012 on the list. One of my favorite comebacks. Teahan with the huge three.

• @mayjay Fran’s tweet wasn’t an off the cuff remark. He had time to think before he hit send. He could’ve said confidence, Fran chose to use the word arrogance. At best it’s an underhanded compliment. But why throw shade? He didn’t call the game, why comment? Just to get a shot in? There are many complimentary words that he could’ve used.

There are worse announcers than Fran, but he was better when his disdain for KU wasn’t so freakin’ obvious.

• @dylans Envy. Our accomplishments overshadow the rest of the conference anyway, but to add in the best comeback of the year …well, it’s almost more than a jealous person can take. I noticed that Doogie Snotlieb retweeted a post from a Misery grad/fan claiming the refs “cheated”. What do all these losers have in common? J-E-A-L-O-U-S-Y.

• @wissox We had no business being behind in that misery game, imo. That is why I probably discount that comeback. This game was different. We were DOA.

• @HighEliteMajor Kind of interesting to go to that link from 2013 and see some of our names there commenting on the comebacks article. We had some good commenters over there that didn’t come here with us unfortunately.

• Worst nightmare scenario for KU fans…Fran and Gotlieb calling KU’s game for the National Title…luckily now they have two additional TV streams with teams partial to each school calling the game.

• @bskeet I cannot hate WVU like I did Mizzou. There was just too much bad blood there for too long, quantrill, antlers, Norm, no-mom-Tom.

WVU has an 800+ win HOF level coach, who has a Top 10-15 team EVERY year with NO McDAAs. He was a Mountaineer. I felt bad for Nathan Adrian, who embodies WVU’s work ethic. Sure they want a piece of us, since everybody guns for the blue blood. And they thought they had us in the sights of those old muskets…then some phog rolled in from Petersburg, VA, Dead-to-rights turned into dead-on-Mon-nite, cowboy’s aim (self) was better. Beat em w/their own press! Self-destructed.

No, I only tip my hat to Bob Huggins, worthy competitor, and that style preps us for whatever midmajor that thinks they may want to press D KU. Didnt we always say our own conf didnt prep us as well for the Madness? Be glad we get to fight against Huggy, Dixon, Beard, Underwood, Kruger, & the rest of the lesser pests.

• How can anything replace the NC comeback for a trophy? And EJ39 game allowed us to tie KSU to share the conf crown with Weber. If it werent for EJs miracle game, we’d never live down the InferiorPurple taunts, like we endure from Snyder football fans. Beating Mizzou in that last mtg was epic. Self doesnt even acknowledge or shake F.Haith’s hand after that. Never seen Bill Self throw a roundhouse fist-pump in my life, as he did after that game!

WVU? Great comeback, but only to save ignominous infamy, nothing else. We saved face. Fitting, as we’d lost a considerable amt of face for 37min of regulation…in AFH, no less! Sorry to sound like a…well…um,…arrogant royalty program fan/alum…

• @bskeet Driving up to Omaha 2 weeks ago, I actual saw a car with a mizzery vanity license plate that read: QUNTREL

I Wanted to run him off the road.

• @ralster NC game gets an asterisk as it was not in the old barn, which was my original criteria that I probably did not make clear enough in my sleep-deprived state of post-game euphoria.

• @Fightsongwriter Quntrel: But you have to admit…that’s not bad.

• @Fightsongwriter Not sure if I’ve told my bucket buddies my Quantrill story. Ten or so years ago fresh outta trade school I took a job at a chrome plating shop, one of my co-workers was from Missouri and a big fizzou fan. When we played that year in football he wore his Quantrill burn baby burn shirt. I googled Quantrill for him long story short he never wore it again and said he threw it away. He wasnt Caucasian (not that it matters to folks outside of racist Missouri) , I think it really bothered him.

• Best game I’ve been to was the last mizzo game, hands down. Triple ot ou game was awesome, 2 years ago, when ll landed on Perry during the West Virginia game was a great come back too. Of course last pm was awesome to be there. I’ve been super blessed to see those games! The noise thing might have been lame, but pretty sure Adrian lost that ball due to me and a thousand of my friends! We actually broke the Kentucky record 3 times Monday pm. The few that left and the ones that gave up didn’t hurt us at all. I call those guys soft!🚷🍦🌬❄

• @kjayhawks Thanks man! Someone’s gotta educate Mizzou students/fans. I don’t have the patience required to work with special people.

• @Crimsonorblue22 said:

Best game I’ve been to was the last mizzo game, hands down. Triple ot ou game was awesome, 2 years ago, when ll landed on Perry during the West Virginia game was a great come back too. Of course last pm was awesome to be there. I’ve been super blessed to see those games! The noise thing might have been lame, but pretty sure Adrian lost that ball due to me and a thousand of my friends! We actually broke the Kentucky record 3 times Monday pm. The few that left and the ones that gave up didn’t hurt us at all. I call those guys soft!🚷🍦🌬❄

JEALOUS! I’ve seen some good ones, but they were in the L Brown and R Williams era. You’ve seen been to some of the greatest games of the Self era.

As for the best of the games you mentioned I have to give it to the final Missouri game. When we won, the feeling I had was very similar to winning the national championship. I know it shouldn’t be the same as it gives Mizzou too much credit, but the emotion was similar.

The OU 3OT game was unique in that it was back and forth and both teams played so well throughout… I just marveled at both and was proud that we came out on top.

The WV game was just so improbable that I’m still trying to process how incredible that comeback was. It looked like we were baked… there was virtually no margin for error, And after everything went wrong earlier, the momentum shifted and everything started to work out for us.

• @Fightsongwriter Not to get sidetracked with our greatest-comebacks lists, I totally agree about WVU comeback being great. Ive rewatched it a few times already. Truly special!

And you’ve allowed many of us to re-live more than 1 of KU’s special comebacks, just by having this thread…thank you!!

• @jayballer54 You asked how many thought that KU would comeback? I did. I always do. I also don’t lose my mind when we lose. I try to get over it as soon as possible. I never bail on the team. As a fan, I feel they deserve my undying support. It’s easy to make a comment saying the team sucks when they are losing. This player can’t do this. This player can’t do that. Where is this player? Why isn’t he producing? Those are easy comments designed to make the fan feel better, which I understand to some degree, it’s just not for me. My question is this: How hard do you think the Kansas Jayhawks are really trying to win? If they lose, I am sure they feel a lot worse than I ever could. They are the ones putting in the practice time, including numerous hours afterwards on their own, fine tuning their skill, and working to improve their shortcomings. So, I cheer to the final whistle, celebrate when we win, say damn when we lose. So, yeah with 2:45 left I thought we would win. Any Jayhawks fan that was still watching, at least hoped that the team would win, and that is good enough for me.

• @ralster Nobody comes back from 14 down with 2 and change, I mean nobody! That’s why it was so freaking amazing I still can’t believe it. Bill couldn’t either. Just when you think, “how could we add anything else truly worthy of legend and lore to the history of that glorious building?”, something somehow does. What could be next?

I’ll be there Feb 22 with my daughter hoping we see it. And if not that night, we will revel in the mystery of the Phog and all the lingering moments past.