Coaching changes in the Big 12

• We know the one in Austin that should be official after this weekend, but there’s another coaching change that’s likely to be official next week as well. Baylor is apparently going to hire SMU coach Chad Morris to take over their program.

Morris is a long time Texas HS coach who has many strong connections in the state. He also spent 4 years at Clemson as their OC. Morris has long been one of the hottest names in coaching and he definitely fits the Big 12 style of offense. The biggest risk to Baylor is that Morris is an Aggie and with Sumlin’s seat getting hotter each year in College Station, any success Morris has at Baylor will likely fuel speculation of Morris to A&M.

This is a really good hire for Baylor as they now have a HC who was a coordinator for national title contending teams at Clemson.

• @Texas-Hawk-10

I’ll trust you, because you care and keep up.

But unless Baylor’s chain of command above head football coach up to Chancellor is sacked and replaced with high quality persons, I’m afraid taking the Baylor job is akin to a dog lying down with fleas.

• Another potentially huge domino is that Tom Herman could named the new coach at LSU as soon as Saturday. LSU is playing Texas A&M tonight and UH plays Memphis tomorrow so the timing makes sense.

This would be a huge blow to UT because Herman wasn’t even LSU’s top choice and could be enough to force them to keep Charlie Strong for another year due to lack of options beyond Herman at this point.

• Big news, LSU is going to take the interim tag off of Ed Orgeron and name the Louisiana native the next HC of LSU. This clears the path for Tom Herman to Texas with Charlie Strong losing to TCU yesterday and losing what little hope he had of keeping the job.

Definitely a very surprising change on the coaching carousel.

• @Texas-Hawk-10

Weird. Thanks for the info.

• Texas has pulled the trigger on firing Charlie Strong which means we should hear Tom Herman announced as the next coach at UT some time in the very near future.

I will also say that Texas Tech’s beat down of Baylor likely cools Kingsbury’s hot seat enough to give him one more year. That means Kingsbury as a potential KU OC is 100% off the table at this point.

With Charlie Strong gone, I’d love to see Beaty take a run at UT’s OC Sterlin Gilbert because UT’s problems had little to do with their offense and were much more related to the defense. Gilbert helped make Buechele looked very good as a true freshman this year.

• @Texas-Hawk-10

That would be a slam dunk hire imo (Gilbert as kU OC). But…would he be willing to come here.

• @BShark Gilbert has a strong Texas HS background, coached at Eastern Illinois, Bowling Green, and Tulsa prior to Texas so I think if Herman doesn’t retain Gilbert (that sounds like a possibility from what I’ve read), and Beaty moved quickly on Gilbert, I think it would be possible to land Gilbert.

The problem for Beaty in hiring assistants is that unless there’s someone like Bowen with strong Kansas ties (there’s not a lot people out there right now), KU is going to be viewed as a springboard job for just about every assistant coach out there to either a coordinator job or position coach at a bigger, better program.

• That didn’t take long, Tom Herman is the new head coach of the Texas Longhorns.

• @Texas-Hawk-10 I figured, Herman didnt want LSU

• @kjayhawks I think Orgeron is a much better fit at LSU than Herman would have been. Orgeron is a native son, the players absolutely love him, and he has greatly improved as a HC since his flop of a tenure at Ole Miss about 10 years ago.

I also honestly think Tom Herman is the second coming of Kevin Sumlin. UT has the pieces to be really good for the next couple of years, but I think he peaks UT at 8-9 wins most years.

• @Texas-Hawk-10 I agree but heard LSU offered him.

• @kjayhawks I absolutely believed LSU offered, but Herman’s agent likely told UT that Herman preferred UT over LSU yesterday and that started this quick moving chain reaction

• @Texas-Hawk-10

Seems like we agree on most points.