Clear out the side = free state

Terms that are the same in both states:

Oil.

Natural Gas.

Hooters.

• @jaybate-1.0

Let me help you with this…

Kruger:

Steal = first give Native American tribes much of Oklahoma as their permanent ground as an incentive to kick them off of land viewed as more valuable at the time. Then… later… after farming techniques improved… realizing the land in Oklahoma was valuable so STEAL it back to operate a “land rush” and give land to settlers.

• @jaybate-1.0

Hooters = Urban definition is female boobs. Rural definition is owls. Nerd definition is noses.

• @jaybate-1.0

Natural Gas = Urban definition is propane (very, very wrong). Rural definition is bottom burps from eating refried beans. Nerd definition is flammable gas, consisting largely of methane and other hydrocarbons.

Actually… it is flammable gas in all three definitions.

• @jaybate-1.0 said:

Disruption = John Browning

John Brown? Or the Utah dude that made guns?

• @drgnslayr

And don’t leave out the Mellons, who reputedly decided they did not want to compete head up with the Rockefeller’s in Texas fields and in Texas gubmint and so created the state Of Oklahoma to pump oil more under their control. And who decided they would need SE Kansas coal fields for crAcking the Oklahoma and Kansas crude in their refineries in both Oklahoma and Kansas. And yes, old Judge Mellon did reputedly pay a visit to the pendergasts and Nelsons of KC to secure the flank, and that’s the rest of the story. Oklahoma and Kansas might have been called Mellonstan once upon a time… But who can say for sure?

• @jaybate-1.0 Sounds like a couple of posters on this thread have carnal knowledge of the Oil and Gas industries. It would be really weird to discover they happened to be professors of mine while I attended school.

• @Mikey-P

Nope. And I like the oil men and oil bidness generally. I just am long a student of the history of Kansas a couple decades either side of 1900. And I’m always on the lookout for little known books by Kansas professors and lay Kansas historians that tell about that era in unsanitized ways. There was apparently a pretty concerted effort by establishment historians to simplify and varnish the era because it was a pivotal time and place in consolidating robber baron hegemony, putting down populist uprisings, and barreling forward into Globalization 1.0. Great, exciting history to finally see covered without simplistic scoping, whatever one’s POV!

Let me know if your profs wrote any good books on the subject of oil in that era.

• @DanR

Don’t know the reference to a Utah guy, sorry.