Dec 12 Headlines

• http://worldonline.media.clients.ellingtoncms.com/img/croppedphotos/2013/12/12/masoncollinsselfBWCROP_t650.jpg?eec9ecda5f66de59a37bbdb23c6f48523261b548

####KU Sports: Self says KU reacting too slow vs. zone####

Kansas University’s basketball rotation players work on attacking the zone defense regularly at practice.

That just hasn’t been evident in the past two games — Saturday’s 75-72 loss at Colorado and Tuesday’s 67-61 setback at Florida — in which the Jayhawks labored offensively.

####KU Sports:Column: Like predecessors, Mason should grow out of inconsistency, into talent####

Gainesville, Fla. — Nobody can make a freshman point guard play like a rookie quite like a polished senior backed by a frenzied crowd in a building where only a few feet separate the spectators from the participants.

####Jayhawks held players-only team meeting day after loss to Florida####

The members of the Kansas University men’s basketball team held a players-only pow wow in the locker room Wednesday, a day after suffering their third loss in four games at No. 19 Florida in Gainesville.

• Ok, I got this from my Espn.go site that I have paid for. Im not sure if I can post this or not but Im gonna try anyways because I think its very relevant. But first, I’ll say that I agree with TK’s assessment that Mason and Collins are very similar players at this stage of their careers with the exception of Mason’s trey %, their stats are nearly identical. I myself have thought Mason was basically Sherron jr even before seeing those numbers. On to Dickie V’s article on ESPN.

Florida’s 67-61 win over Kansas on Tuesday night showed that Jayhawks coach Bill Self has some work to do to get his young team to play up to its potential.

The last time Kansas lost three games this early in the season was 2006, when they opened 2-3. But coaches like Self and Florida’s Billy Donovan are not afraid to schedule a game like this early in the season. Remember, both squads started the season in The Associated Press top 10. Self and Donovan don’t worry about the result at this point of the season because they believe a game like this will help in the long run. Both coaches are secure in their position, and each should make it to the Hall of Fame down the line.

It was a great environment in Gainesville as Florida won its 21st consecutive home game. There was a lot of emotion and pride on the line between these teams, as many of the players know each other from travel basketball. But the Rowdy Reptile fans were a factor early against a young Kansas squad, which started four freshmen and a sophomore.

More from ESPN.com

Tuesday’s loss at Florida showed Kansas coach Bill Self where his young Jayhawks need to improve, writes Dick Vitale. Story

Some put Florida’s national title chances to rest after two early losses, but, as the Gators showed Tuesday by beating Kansas, they’re a force to be reckoned with when at full strength, writes Myron Medcalf. Story

• Nation blog

The Gators used a 21-0 run over eight-plus minutes in the first half to build a big lead that Kansas could not overcome. Florida’s zone defense was very active and gave Kansas trouble, creating havoc while leading to its tremendous first-half spurt. Turnovers were also a huge factor in the contest, as the Jayhawks had 16 in the first half – prior to Tuesday’s contest, 16 was the most they had in an entire game this season – and finished with 24 for the game.

There were times when the Jayhawks’ offense was simply out of sync. Their transition game veered out of control at inopportune times. Passing was a struggle and very little came easy. They looked unsure of themselves.

These are the signs of a young team trying to get together. Having new players in the backcourt was a factor, and their inexperience was evident. It will take time for the unit to mesh, but experience will lead to better results as they become more cohesive.

Rebounding was another area of concern for the Jayhawks. Kansas allowed too many second and third opportunities to the Gators, especially in the first half.

One player who shined for Kansas was Andrew Wiggins. The diaper dandy had 26 points and 11 rebounds, showing why he is going to be a special player at the next level. In the second half, he was more aggressive going to the basket. When he has the ball in transition, he is outstanding. My friends, he is a superstar. That is why people love his skills at the next level.

There are such great expectations tied to Wiggins. There are times when he is too nice a guy. He has a tendency of trying to please his teammates. But when he wants the ball and attacks the glass, he is tough to stop.

There is talent on the Jayhawks’ roster. They’re going through a learning stage and understanding how to play the game at the collegiate level. And it will not get easier with New Mexico, Georgetown and San Diego State ahead on the nonleague agenda. But I am confident that Self will get his team to right the ship.

• Speaking of ESPN. How is the Brown resigning, Saban to Texas Rumor not the TOP Story???

• @KipMcSmithers -

TEXAS ???

I thought he was headed to Lawrence…

• Now Wiggins is a star? The media just had him labeled as “over-rated!”

Maybe they should meld the two definitions to cover their bases:

“He’s a bright new superstar who sometimes earns the tag ‘over-rated’!”

I’m curious to see what is written about him after our next game… especially if he goes back to having a lower stat night. If he would have missed all those 3s the other night he would have been labeled a bum. The light gets hot when they are all shining on you…

I hope Wiggins can zone out all this chaos. I hope the team can, too.

It’s clear that our victories from here on out will be won in the practice gym. Focus, fellas!