Naz Long

• Iowa State junior guard Naz Long will have surgery on his left hip Wednesday, the university announced Tuesday.

Long played with chronic pain that worsened during the season, according to the school. He averaged 10.1 points and led the team with 77 3-point field goals in 34 games (33 starts).

Recovery time was set at three to five months, well before the start of fall practice.

• @RandyPete: The @coachotz hire reinforces that @ISUMayor32 is #cyclones coach for at least the next few years. http://t.co/ORJtAZ3FcX

• @Crimsonorblue22

Thanks for posting this.

Playing through injury requiring surgery to rectify it has always kind of disturbed me, even when part of me may marvel at the ability of the player to do it and still perform usefully.

I have a hunch that one day in the future our culture will look back at this convention of playing with injury requiring surgery, as being about as foolish as football coaches back in my childhood withholding water from football players until AFTER practice in order to toughen us up.

• @jaybate-1.0

I’m thinking in the future guys will get injured and have surgery at halftime and be back in play for the second half. Maybe in about 30 years from now. Advanced healing with some kind of electrical current device.

• @jaybate-1.0 I googled him and all I could find, yesterday, he had some crushed tissue-never heard of a hip injury referred in that way. It did say it was arthroscopic surgery. 3-5 months recovery.