If WSU Were the Best Team, Why Did VanVleet Apparently Put Perry Out of the Game When KU Was Pulling Away?

• Why would WSU need to put KU’s best player out of a game, and risk its star player doing it, if WSU believed it were the better team?

Logical answer: It wouldn’t.

Hypothesis 1: WSU decided it wasn’t the best team with Perry on the floor in pre-elbow smash condition. WSU apparently decided KU was, because KU was pulling away despite 7 fouls called on KU and one called on WSU. WSU probably anticipated a whistle swallowing period coming up. WSU apparently decided its only chance to win was to put KU’s best player out of the game, and leave him so degraded when/if he returned that WSU could win. End of Hypothesis 1.

Isn’t the above an interesting hypothesis?

I welcome data for testing purposes.

Another thing that occurs to me: Perry returned to the game and appeared foggy and still hung 17 and 9 on the Schlockers.

OMG! How many would Perry have hung on WSU had he not been apparently intentionally elbow smashed in the face so badly that his nose bled, he looked woozy, and he had to be lead to the locker room before returning and never looking sharp!

Maybe 27 and 12? Maybe 32 and 15? These would easily have been in his reach and enough to make it either a KU victory, or a one possession game, which KU has been superb at winning.

Apparently WSU had no one that could really stop Perry, even after Perry was significantly degraded by the elbow smash.

Hypothesis 2: WSU wouldn’t have had a prayer without that cheap shot by VanVleet.

I think it was appropriate of Coach Self to put Perry Ellis out in front of the media and show them the player that appeared to have been intentionally elbow smashed, so that the media could see for themselves how WSU apparently played the game.

Interesting that the media appeared to duck.

Just some grist for the off season mill.

Rock Chalk!

• I guess we’ll ever know.

• @jaybate-1.0 I don’t think they even looked at the monitor so I guess I must not understand the rule…contact above the shoulders?

• @jaybate-1.0 mrs slime ball said she had more definition in her arms than KU. Oregon news reporter twitted. Birds of a … In other wichita, kake tv news… Kake calling out KU and wsuck fans for booing our not so liked governor. Ha ha 2 colleges where he’s cutting funding. Dumbass, what did he really think would happen? Sorry if you like him, not really though.

• @globaljaybird

Though I am a layman and do not keenly understand the rules, the key appears to be the no call loop hole that appears to enable so much thugging in college basketball and encourage so much counter thugging due to lack of a viable appeal process.

As I understand it, one can only contest a call that has been made, not one that has not been made.

For instance, if an offensive player were to drive into a defensive player and withdraw a concealed Glock 9mm and shoot the defensive player in the face repeatedly and the ref saw it and heard it and called it a flagrant foul, one might appeal the call, though perhaps not successfully.

But, if an offensive player were to drive into a defensive player and withdraw a tiny, well silenced, small caliber pistol and quickly shoot the defensive player in the face a few times and then quickly return it to concealed position, and if the referee did not see, or hear, the event and did not call a foul, an appeal to review the shooting in the face could not be made, even though a police investigation likely would ensue.

I am of course using XTReme Exaggeration for illustative, conceptual purposes only, and as I said I am only a layman and engaging in opining and speculative conjecture, at best. I would willingly defer to an expert opinion on this off course. 🙂

• @jaybate-1.0 You just don’t really understand the game, do you? You see some sort of conspiracy or well plotted out ‘assassination attempt’ in a bam-bam basketball play. I suppose the refs could have looked at the monitor for a possible ‘letter of the law’ violation, but I (and apparently the refs) just didn’t see any intent there. And if they did look at the monitor, all they would have seen, as I did, was a ‘basketball move.’

Perry looked fine to me when he returned. You can make all the excuses you want, but Wichita was just the better team. They were just more mentally tough. Did you happen to listen to Len Elmore all through the second half?

Wichita just plays a tougher, more hard-nosed game than we do. Maybe it’s just the wheel of karma turning on Bill for his Illinois thug-ball days. Get over it. You just sound whiny.

• @KUinLA

Agree. There was no intent and deliberate “let’s hurt Perry so we can win” strategy. Come on, man up JB! We got beat by a better team. Get over it and move on…BTW, Perry had a decent game and the time off the court was minimal (re coach’s assessment).

• @KUinLA

HOWLING!!

Ooooh, “conspiracy smear” rhetoric.

Oooooooh, conspiracy boo!

Smear as data point?

Uh, nope.

Hmmmmm, the Len Elmore appeal to authority fallacy.

Uh, nope.

Hmmmm, Perry looked okay to @KUinLA.

Opining as data point.

Uh, nope.

Thanks for trying.

Next.

• @jayhawk-007

Nudge. Nudge. Wink. Wink.

Why do we have to get over it?

Why can’t we ridicule and satirize nose smash offense?

• @jaybate-1.0 FWIW I turned the sound bar off & listened to audio from Bob & Greg on the Jayhawk network because Marv incites me to purge when I recall the disgust of his famed cross dressing incident, i.e; Marv the Zorro Sombrero…JMO

• @globaljaybird

HOWLING!

• @jaybate-1.0

I don’t know… but it sure looked like Perry broke his nose. He said it wasn’t broken… though I wonder if he just didn’t want to tell people it was. That type of hit usually means a busted nose.

Kudos to Perry for putting up a fight and returning with his busted nose!