Will Barnes Be Brutally Bounced By Burnt-orange Bevo?

• Are the fans and faculty at the most sacred Temple of Longhornville finally fed up with the mediocrity of the Rick Barnes era?

In 17 years he has recruited some really outstanding basketball players, yet his teams have consistenly under-performed. He’s got ONE Final Four appearance (2002/2003), ONE Conference Championship (tie Kansas 2007/2008 ). His teams are 20 W - 20L in the NCAA tournament and his conference games winning percentage is .580.

I say to the Texas A.D. - FIRE HIM NOW.

Let him come work for us as a recruiter.

• @nuleafjhawk I think he is gone. UT has not even been to the Elite 8 in 7 years. They did not even make the NCAA a couple years ago and might not make it again this year. They were billed this year as the team with the most talent in the country not named Kentucky. Now they are on the bubble. If Mack Brown gets the boot I can’t imagine why Barnes would stay.

• @nuleafjhawk

Your numbers are not correct He has won or tied for the conference title 3 times, finished second 5 times and third 3 times; this is 11 top 3 finishes in 17 years, not really a bad record for team not named KU and whose school main sport is football with basketball a very distant second or even third. His overall record at Texas is 402–178 (.693) and his conference record 186–94 (.664).

He has made it to the NCAA every year except in the 2012-2013 season and has 1 final four and 2 elite eight in the same period.

• @JayHawkFanToo wasn’t he the big 12 coy last year? I think he’s safe, I hope he is. No way though, ISU is better. Time out coach!!!

• @JayHawkFanToo You know what - someone take this whole post down. I can’t read, write or think today. Sorry - 1999, 2006, 2008 - that’s 3, just like you said.

Still think he should be gone.

• @nuleafjhawk Aw, regardless of statistical accuracies, I like the last line of your initial post. Barnes has recruited some terrific players. And so far as I recall he has never stepped into illegal behaviors which have brought embarrassments down upon the Longhorn Program.

• @nuleafjhawk after u delete, hit it again and hit purge, gone. Try it on this.

• @nuleafjhawk

No worries, sometimes is nice for posters to bag on a different program for a change. I don’t believe Barnes is an elite coach but I don’t believe he is a poor coach either. He gets very little fan support; look at their home court and even in big games like KU, the place is not even sold out. I believe that most people in Texas don’t really care that much about the program and as long as he makes it to the NCAA and keeps the program out of trouble they are OK with that.

• @JayHawkFanToo I think he’s a good guy - just not a great coach. He obviously has an eye for talent. I really would like to have him on our staff - not that he would ever take such a job.

• @nuleafjhawk I’m thinking that awesome recruiting trait is going down, after this season! Of course he could go far, if he gets in.

• @Crimsonorblue22 I don’t know - I think the city of Austin recruits about as well as a lot of coaches. It’s a beautiful place, beautiful campus, great food, great music, great weather. I can see why great players would want to go there.

For a year or two…

• @nuleafjhawk better than central ks?

• @nuleafjhawk I was on campus in the 70’s for the Texas Relays and it was beautiful then with lots of grass and trees. Now it is mostly buildings and concrete. I do like Austin but I think most Big 12 and SEC campuses are nicer than UT. JMHO

• @nuleafjhawk I can’t speak to what the people in Texas are saying like some of our state of Texas Alums can. But, I think that, even though he has underperformed given the talent he has, his record of success, compared to most programs, is pretty good. I can imagine that they have lesser expectations for basketball (compared to football)…just like we do for football (compared to basketball). It would not surprise me if, given their success (ignoring the talent level), he keeps his job.

• From sunup to 5:00 pm, EVERY sports radio show had nothing but callers saying Barnes has to go. Most favored a younger guy like Shaka or Bennet and just a few calling for a more experienced coach. There reasoning is that they don’t want to see UT even get in the tourney as it would be fools gold to then win a few and somehow credit Barnes and keep him, only to have next year be the same as all the others. People know that with a new coach they could have rebuilding year(s), but they would rather have hope that they would become relevant. Right now they know they will never be with Barnes.

I agree. They have the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ and the facilities and can have the whole state for recruiting. They made the change in football forcing Mack out and they want the same for Barnes. NO ONE thinks he is a good or great coach. Fans were more upset that Turner only played 10 mins. and were incredulous that Barnes sat him. He WAS their savior this year and as usual Barnes couldn’t coach him. The players do not like him. Something has to give.

Just my take from the Live Music Capital of the World where 100,000 people are descending on us for the next 2 weeks for SXSW film and music festival!!! OMG.

😞

• @RockChalkinTexas Would they really be able to get Bennett? Smart has also turned down jobs. They don’t get the fan support you would think they would…it’s a football school first. Aren’t they overstating how good of a job that is?

• @Hawk8086 That is what all the radio guys told the callers – you fans are fair weather fans and don’t show up for the games. One said Look at AFH or Hilton Coliseum – filled every game. Granted football is king here, but really since 2005 when they won Natl Championship they have not had a winning season.

• @RockChalkinTexas

There is no way Bennett goes from UVA to Texas. UVa is now a premier program in a premier conference with lots of fan support and East Coast exposure. I can see Bennett eventually moving to a more prestigious program but Texas ain’t it. I can see Marshall going there though…

• @JayHawkFanToo the thought of that!!!

• @nuleafjhawk

I think Rick will be around next year.

We are applying our expectations on Texas. Seriously… Texas fans do not have near the same expectations we have. I’ve had discussions with plenty of Longhorn fans. Sure, they want to improve. But they don’t quickly throw Barnes under the bus. He is very well-liked. And many of the fans point to his achievements more than his failings.

First… if they let go of Rick, who would they replace him with?

Granted, Rick underachieves in results, but he does recruit some top talent. There is no guarantee the next guy could recruit as well as Rick. And it is very unlikely he will be as well liked. Rick has a bunch of friends, not only the State of Texas, but all through the B12 and USA.

Texas is a football school. And also a baseball school. Basketball… well… to be honest, what is helping build Texas basketball is Baylor. Yes… Baylor! Texas fans don’t like to lose to anyone in their State. They used to be focused on TAM, but since they are gone, the focus is on Baylor and Scott Drew continues to recruit a lot of talent and challenges Texas hard. More UT fans are speaking up with Texas loses to Baylor. These same fans expect to lose to Kansas.