KU vs Wichita game chat

• @kjayhawks said in KU vs Wichita game chat:

@BShark he’s just trying to get some PT for the young guys. Starting Saturday we will likely only see 7 or 8 guys plays. Unless foul trouble shows up

Right, just wanted to mention that as why the starters play more than ideally we would want. It’s necessary to win.

• @Texas-Hawk-10 said in KU vs Wichita game chat:

@jayballer67 said in KU vs Wichita game chat:

Juan scores 6 points very early in this game then not another word the rest of the game. He just has to look to score more. - -shooting 50 % from the three people have got to respect his shot IF he shoots

When the lead was as large as it was for most of the game, he doesn’t need to force himself to score more.

True , BUT there have been a lot of times when that lead s we have not really destroyed a lot of people this yr, check out th point differential – he needs to become more of a threat on the offensive end. Until that happens teams are going to continue to ignore him on the offensive and doubling even more on Hunter. - he has the ability , just very reluctant to shot, were going to need his offensive input somewhere along the line for sure this season.

• @Crimsonorblue22 said in KU vs Wichita game chat:

He shot another 3 and a 2 in the paint. He didn’t turn down open looks, he feeds open guys, lots of oops.

that’s great but there is gonna be times where w need more then oops - -he is just a very reluctant shooter which allows other teams to slack off him, in real game time w need hi more offensively aggressive to many WAY to open looks he turning down - -gotta take that shot. Coach Self haas even mentioned how they have gotten on to him about shooting more

• Did u notice he had 10 pts, 6 assts, 4 steals last game? I want him to shoot too. I think he’s picking the right spots. I know his TO’s are bothering him.

• I finally watched all the game on replay. We sure do have a top notch 4 starters and we might just have seen that we now have a solid five and what a difference Elmarko made. 86 points is great with little help the bench which was 5/20 from the field including 1/14 from three. This team is damn good but not a title contender yet with such a low performing bench, except for Parker who gives us that athletic big to offset the seemingly unending supply we seem to face.

• @Zabudda I taught at a school with a legendary coach (google name seimone augustus, he coached her at my school) and one season he had 4 competent basketball players. Like no one else who could dribble it for more than 5-10 seconds without turning it over. So he ran 4 player sets on offense, just told the ‘extra’ girl to stand to the side and be ready to run down to play defense. It was not that successful of a team of course, but kind of interesting to watch. Not saying we’re that bad off but it just reminded me of it.

• @wissox

That’s a coach who didn’t believe in wishful thinking who saw things as they really are and coached accordingly.

• @wissox sounds like a terrible coach in reality, you have all season to develop someone to at least be a decent player. Why do you think Self went to the bench early Saturday? Trying to get some young guys times to develop.

• @kjayhawks He’s not a terrible coach. He’s won multiple state championships. He coached in a really tough school.

• @kjayhawks Girls HS bball, I’ve seen teams with 5 players like @wissox described. On the flip side - There was one girl on our HS team that ended up getting drafted into the WNBA, they didn’t lose a single game for 3 years - all because of one player. Some games the other team could not advance the ball past half court because she would keep stealing it.

• @wissox said in KU vs Wichita game chat:

@kjayhawks He’s not a terrible coach. He’s won multiple state championships. He coached in a really tough school.

Won state championships but couldn’t teach a kid to dribble? At the high school level I’d prefer a coach that teaches kids the game over winning any day.

• You can’t “teach” a kid to dribble. They either can do it or they can’t. They might get better over time, but it’s like running. You can either run or you can’t. Or you love it or hate it. My opinion.

• @benshawks08 @kjayhawks He won 832 games as a High School coach, all at the same school. For a decade coached boys and girls teams simultaneously. Won 6 girls state championships. I can’t believe I’m having to defend this guy but he is a coaching legend despite all of you thinking he’s a chump. The situation was unique that year and yes, there were only 4 competent players. Even then they won quite a few games and qualified for the playoffs.

• @nuleafjhawk said in KU vs Wichita game chat:

You can’t “teach” a kid to dribble. They either can do it or they can’t. They might get better over time, but it’s like running. You can either run or you can’t. Or you love it or hate it. My opinion.

Yeah. That’s not how learning works. All skills can be learned if there is interest, instruction, support, and practice.

@benshawks08 @kjayhawks He won 832 games as a High School coach, all at the same school. For a decade coached boys and girls teams simultaneously. Won 6 girls state championships. I can’t believe I’m having to defend this guy but he is a coaching legend despite all of you thinking he’s a chump. The situation was unique that year and yes, there were only 4 competent players. Even then they won quite a few games and qualified for the playoffs.

To me the idea that one players job was just to stay out of the way indicates a lack of commitment to teaching kids who may not come with the same advantages as some of the others. I’ve never met the coach and have no real skin in the game but maybe it’s the anecdote you chose to praise him with rather than the coach themselves. I’m sure development happened for a ton of kids and I guess it’s good they won some games. But that story just ain’t it for me.

I coached golf at a school where NO ONE on my teams had ever played golf before. Most had never even held a club or anything. By the end of each season, they could at least play a round of golf and feel comfortable on the course even if they shot 120… I coached girls soccer for a year with the freshman girls who most of whom had never played before. It never occurred to me to tell a player to just stay out of the way while the good players play. My goal was that all 24 girls got on the field every game and got better at the skills they wanted to learn. Oh and they went 11-3 that year.

• I’m trying to think what the parents of the “one” gal would think? Let alone about the poor gals self esteem. Doesn’t take as much coaching to coach up talented kids as to teach average kids how to play. Summer workouts?

• I don’t think anyone understands the difficulty of the school I taught in. 1/3rd of the girls who graduated my first year there were either pregnant or were moms already. Shootings, gangs, drugs, fights, etc etc were part of daily life in that neighborhood. I guess I shouldn’t have brought it up since you all think you could do better in such a place.

• @wissox I wasn’t there so I’m not trying hate too much.

• @wissox I always knew you taught in tough places. Admired you for doing it. Not sure how not coaching the whole team flies, no matter the school system.

• @benshawks08 “even if they shot 120”.

Like that’s a bad thing?

• @nuleafjhawk a lot of the tournaments we played in were triple bogey max.

• @benshawks08 that being said, if I can teach kids to hit a golf ball, a half decent basketball coach can teach em to dribble a basketball.

I don’t think anyone understands the difficulty of the school I taught in. 1/3rd of the girls who graduated my first year there were either pregnant or were moms already. Shootings, gangs, drugs, fights, etc etc were part of daily life in that neighborhood. I guess I shouldn’t have brought it up since you all think you could do better in such a place.

To be clear, I’m not saying the coach was definitely a bad coach or anything about their value to the school or the community, just that the particular example you brought up doesn’t exemplify legendary coaching for me.

• @benshawks08 @wissox In my non-championship career of being a player/coach on 3 college/gov’t softball teams for about 13 years, we had one team that was in a league that required 3 women on the field and in the lineup. We had a helluva hard time recruiting women, so we often had players who came out for the fun without any experience in any sport, let alone SB.

The league had seen such unequal things before and actually had rules against any man zipping in front of a woman if the ball was more in her fielding area. Cannot, however, see how that could work in bb except to require all 5 players to cross halfcourt on both offense and defense.

As an aside, I’ve posted this before: to teach the women to actually swing a bat through the ball, I told them to imagine having a pillow-fight with a husband or boyfriend and swinging at the head. They loved it. Some hubbies and bf’s were not so happy, I heard.

• @benshawks08 golf was an extreme love/hate relationship for me. When I first started, I was on fire. I mean really very good. I played every single day for two years. Then the smarter I got, the more I learned, the worse I played. At the end of my golf career I was so smart I could throw my clubs further than I could hit the ball.