What does Frank have to do to get a whistle?

• @JayHawkFanToo That was Pomeroy’s point. There is NO such rule. Jeff Goodman was on ESPN saying that it should have been called because of the “3 feet rule” right after the game on SportsCenter with SVC. They even have a video asking something like “Was Mason’s Play Illegal?” Pomeroy was tired of the bs coming from him and that’s why he tweeted that.

• On PHOGNet, someone posted a link to the NCAA rules, noting that pages 69-72 specifically address the inbounds pass. There is no rule concerning 3 feet from the boundary. The 3-foot “cushion” is lateral and permits the inbounding player to make a step pass. Also, another poster on that board noted that while Gottlieb continued to whine about it, Goodman later tweeted that he had been wrong about the so-called “3 feet” rule. I say Gottlieb’s still got something on backwards.

• @RockChalkinTexas

I know. I watched and followed the entire process and kept wondering if there was “new” rule I did not know that required 3 feet…with all the new rules that were recently implemented I wondered if there was one I missed…apparently there is not one.

• Furthermore, it’s the same amount of out-of-bounds space for both teams.

• @DanR ha ha!

• @drgnslayr If there is no rule, then why do the refs make the defender step back?

• @Hawk8086 Because they want to give every possible opportunity for KU to lose.

• @Hawk8086 I know when I officiated games it depends on the gyms. How much space there is. On open ended gyms a player that is in bounding only can step back so far as well.

So with the sideline at AFH having the scorers table so close to it they have to advise the defender to step back for space at the beginning of the play.

That’s my interpolation anyway

I played in a few gyms when we’d inbounds I front of the opposing fans when you went to run into the floor they’d try and trip you or pull on your shorts.

Actually saw a ref get tripped by a fan as he was back peddling down te court. They couldn’t prove it was on purpose. But found out after the game it was their coaches wife that did it. Lol

• @JRyman bet it was Marsha’s wife!

• @JRyman So…if there was not much room…and the ref had to ask Frank to step back a few feet…doesn’t that become a defacto “rule”? Meaning…isn’t there validity to the point that Frank shouldn’t have stepped back close to the inbound line? And thus maybe violated a “rule”?

• @Hawk8086 not sure how you’d call it and on what terms. “Cause I said so” won’t hold up.

Now if Frank makes ℅ txt with him or the ball while crossing the line the whistle should blow and its usually a T for interference.

• @JRyman Then I guess I don’t see why the refs even bother to tell the defender to back up, if it is not enforceable.

• @Hawk8086 curtesy I guess.

seems like they always tell a defender to back up even on the baselines. Or wave their hands I front of the inbounded to make sure there’s space and to go verticals.

• @Hawk8086

Good question. Because in some situations, like the one we are talking about, passers don’t have enough space.

But the problem is on the depth of the sideline.

This is a discretionary thing with refs. And they should work this out the right way, but the problem is really on sideline plays because many venues simply are not designed with enough space.

The NCAA (once again) needs to get off their brain (backside) and take some responsible action. On courts where the venue can’t create more space without major renovation, allow them an exception but requiring them to put a small sideline line out far enough so refs can force defenders behind the line. As it is now, there is no definition of the rules.

For example… what does it mean to have a ref scream out, “hey, get back and give him some room!”

What do they do if they have interpreted the defender didn’t do it to their liking? Based on what? Imagine a national championship being decided on this?

In fact… we don’t really know if this situation will have later repercussions. What if OUs seeding is reduced because of this loss, which was affected heavily by this call?

I’m pretty sure if this had gone the other way… and we were behind and threw the ball in and had this happen… we would be shizzing all over ourselves because we would feel ripped off.

• No one likes whiners… but I have no doubt that guys that talk up refs are taking one of the steps necessary to get calls. Having a coach argue for it is also a big help. Flopping isn’t necessary and hurts the game, but showing a bit of drama during the foul is very helpful. Devonte and Frank both use the head jerk drama sometimes. It seems to work better for Devonte, the less stout of the two.

Finally getting back to this thread,since I’m sure Frank reads this forum, I fully expect “Stone Cold Mason” to add a little drama to his arsenal. None of that Marcus Smart *rap, but just what you’re saying, @drgnslayr. Enough to force the refs’ hands a little!

• @ajvan Yeah, like in the OU game, he got basically clothes lined on the play right before the end of regulation, right before Lucas fouled on a rebound attempt.

Its not " Where’s the beef?" Its Where’s the whistle?"

• Banned

@Texas-Hawk-10

Buddy is a great kid one we true college basketball fans should root for. No problems with that. Yet you know as well as I do. Buddy is not an uberstar. Meaning to be successful in in the NBA he needs to find a niche something he can hang his hat on.

The NBA is a cruel reality. Buddy’s success depends on a lot of variables. Like who drafts him, what kind of offense does the team play, who is the coach, who is on the team, and can he get any playing time?

You must not bet much, as betting is a numbers game. Well that is if you want to win, or break even. Sure betting on the long shots can bring big money but very seldom do they ever come through.

Also you didn’t disagree with me you told me I was wrong and in so many ways acted like your right. Kind of rude if you ask me. Especially when all I said was the odds are against Buddy making it in the NBA.

• Banned

@JayHawkFanToo

Sorry my friend if you’re rude to me, then I’ll be rude right back. Just how I roll.

• @DoubleDD

I disagree with your statement "the odds are against Buddy making it in the NBA." and I will tell you why:

If you are one of the many players in college basketball, the the odds of making it in the NBA are against you.

If you are one of the better players in college basketball, the the odds of being drafted and making it in the NBA are definitely better.

if you are one of the superior players in college basketball, the the odds of being drafted and making it in the NBA increase even more.

If you are drafted by the NBA, it means you are one of the top 60 available prospects in the world. and the odds of making it in the NBA improve dramatically.

If you are drafted by the NBA in the first round, it means you are one of the top 30 available prospects in the world. and the odds of making it in the NBA improve even more.

If you are drafted by the NBA as lottery pick, it means you are one of the top 14 available prospects in the world. and the odds of making it in the NBA are such that the NBA will give you a guaranteed contract.

If Buddy is a lottery pick, like it seems he will be, the odd of making in the NBA are pretty darn good, probably much, much better than not making it.

That is my justification; what is your justification to indicate the odds are against him? Frankly, any reasonable person would agree with my justification above…unless you can come up with something to disprove it…

• Banned

@JayHawkFanToo

The NBA is tough

I’m not sure why you’re taking this so seriously? Like I said Buddy is a good kid hope he makes it but the odds are against him. Even as a lottery pick his are only 50/50.

I don’t even know what we are arguing about? I’m giving could hard facts and you’re giving me what you think it should be.

Yet for some reason I’m an asshole because I post the obvious. It will be hard for Buddy to make it in the NBA.

• @DoubleDD

Did you actually read the link you posted?

"This chart is simply the rosters of the NBA broken down to show where each player was drafted (keep in mind these are only the players averaging 25 minutes a game or more). So, the first thing you will notice is that the majority of the players — approximately 82 percent — were drafted in the first round of the draft. To go even further, 90 of those 139 players were drafted in the lottery; and that equates to about 53 percent of all players on current NBA rosters. This shows us the fundamental truth that lottery picks are more valuable and have better outcomes than other picks in the draft."

Again…

"This shows us the fundamental truth that lottery picks are more valuable and have better outcomes than other picks in the draft"

One more time…

"This shows us the fundamental truth that lottery picks are more valuable and have better outcomes than other picks in the draft"

Which is exactly what I said…Never mind, if the source you posted makes my case, then there is no sense in discussing further. 😃

• Banned

@JayHawkFanToo

Numbers can be twisted, as you’re doing right now. Yet I still think the evidence I provided proves my point that even being a lottery pick is still a 50/50 chance of making it.

I mean you’re hanging you hat on if Buddy is drafted high then his chances increase, which I wouldn’t argue. Yet it’s still a 50/50 proposition and not the slam dunk you’re trying present.

I rest my case. 😛

• @DoubleDD @JayHawkFanToo you guys need to take this outside!👊👊

• ku_bkc_ou_04_t960.jpg

• @wrwlumpy Great pic! I didnt get the sense that Frank was about to go off though. Now, Coach Self on the other hand? I dont think Ive seen him more pisst off!! I mean he went absolutely Mount Vesuvius on that ref. Omg!