John Riggins

• Wow! I just finished a show that I had recorded from the NFL Network - A Football Life - John Riggins. What a great story!

When it was over, I was sad, happy, nostalgic and rejuvenated. I remember listening to KU football on the radio as a kid and John Riggins was one of my true childhood heros.

Any one that wants to reminisce about one of the all time great KU football players should check out this show. I don’t think you’ll be disappointed. What a football player, character and man!

• @nuleafjhawk

Riggins should have been a movie star. Larger than life in every way!

• @jaybate-1.0 When I was an 11 year old kid, John Riggins was an old dude, bigger than life and playing in the Orange Bowl (after having led KANSAS to the Big 8 Championship!!!)

Now he’s only 9 years older than me and I want to hang out with him. I don’t even drink, but I want to buy him a beer ( or 12 ) and go fishing and smoke cigars !!

• @nuleafjhawk

I heard John met a good woman and is no longer out ridin’ fences too long. It made me happy for him. He pushed out the envelope for longer than anyone else I knew. He deserved to find a quiet place. John was Huck Finn and Tom Sawyer filtered through Larry Csonka and Jim Brown. John was the Age of Aquarius in cleats.

• @jaybate-1.0 said:

John was the Age of Aquarius in cleats.

That may be the best line I’ve ever heard! That would make a great tattoo!