Ranking the greatest KU football teams

• I was sitting thinkng about what this years team was able to accomplish by winning our 7th bowl game in history and winning 9 or more games for also the 7th time in KU history. I decided while we wait for Saturdays basketball match up, I’d ranking my top 5 KU football teams.

1. 2007 12-1- The orange bowl team known for winning the first and only new years 6 bowl in program history lead by Todd Ressing, Kerry Meier, Brandon McAnderson and co on offense. That until recently was easily the greatest offense in KU history (still is). The defense led by Darrell Stucky, Aqib Talib and James McClinton were no slouches either. Coached by Mark Mangino

2. 1947 8-1-2 Big Six conference champions wouldn’t lose a game until their final one in the schools first not only bowl appearance but orange bowl. They had 2 tie games one with big 6 co-champions OU and the other TCU to open the season. Lead by all-American Ray Evans, Don Fambrough and the Double threat from Sublette Otto Schnellbacher. These guys played all 3 phases of the game most the time. This team coached by George Sauer holds the record for most points scored in a game with 86 against South Dakota.

3. 1968 9-2 Big 8 co-champions again with OU would only lose 2 games by a combined 5 points against top 6 teams in OU and Penn State in the programs second orange bowl appearance. The offense was lead by KU legends Bobby Douglass and John Riggins. While future Pro Bowler John Zook led a tough nosed defense. This team not only has KUs last conference championship but also was the last KU team to win in Lincoln, Nebraska. Pepper Rodgers was at the helm for this group.

4. 1995 10-2 Aloha Bowl champions coached by Glen Mason this would be Kansas’ third 10 win season and first in 90 years. The first Kansas team since 1968 to finish the season ranked in the AP top 10. Lead by KU running back great June Henley and WR Isaac Bird offensively. While the defense featured 3rd round draft pick Dorian Brew at cornerback and a strong defensive line lead by Dan Dercher.

5. 2023 9-4 Guaranteed Rate Bowl Champions, this was a toss up between several teams including the 10-0 1905 Jayhawks, 1992 Aloha bowl champions and the 2008 insight bowl champs. Looking at the tough schedule this team faced and the challenges at the QB position with JD being out. Add in how down ridden this program has been the 15 seasons, I think this is accurate.

Feel free to debate or make your own list. Fun fact of the day: KU as of right now has the same amount of bowl wins in the last 20 years as Kansas State with 4. Obviously that could change tomorrow but still funny for the power house they claim to be.

• I would be thrilled beyond anything if we can attain the heights of the Mangino years. Those Mason years were a lot of fun too. Not sure how many games I was able to watch so I don’t have many memories there but I do recall watching the Aloha Bowl.

• @wissox I watched the aloha bowl, had a friend w/a kid on the team. My boys went to orange bowl.