Hypothetical re: Bean

• Over

• Wished he had the experience to change the play when he has 2 unblocked guys coming at him

• Beans decision making was pure garbage Grimm is wide open for 4 yards on that last play. Defense missed too many turnover opportunities. On to the next

• Atrocious play call

• So as for the OP, absolutely not 😭

• KU beat themselves today. 3 screw ups on PAT’s, pick in the end zone, late hit on Grimm, and Bean’s terrible decision making in the 4th quarter.

• I just want us to get bowl eligible again but it stinks giving one away. This is why I want JD back, Bean was great in the first half but terrible in the 4th quarter. It’s not all on him with the defense giving up over 500 yards and special teams blunders. Good time for a bye week.

• Bean seems to play worse when there’s pressure. It’s not all on him though.

• Boy o boy. That one was winnable.

Some shockingly silly mistakes. Wow.

Hope that doesn’t come back to haunt us for bowl eligibility. We need our QB back!

• @Texas-Hawk-10 said in Hypothetical re: Bean:

KU beat themselves today. 3 screw ups on PAT’s, pick in the end zone, late hit on Grimm, and Bean’s terrible decision making in the 4th quarter.

couldn’t agree more. It’s one thing when you get beat legit, but when you give the game away really hurts.- -Still trying to figure out how in the hell we screw up so badly on PAT’S Then I believe it was after their missed fg attempt when we were up 32-30 make a big connection and why Grimm hits the guy in the back for late hit - - just killed us as we were well on the way in would of put us up 39-30-- this one hurts,

• One offside call. We made some enormous mistakes and yet were still in great position to close it out and one offside the refs don’t call and we lose because of one call. The unneccessary roughness call was a little shady to me, but one offside call. I do think we should have punted there TBH.

• @wissox said in Hypothetical re: Bean:

One offside call. We made some enormous mistakes and yet were still in great position to close it out and one offside the refs don’t call and we lose because of one call. The unneccessary roughness call was a little shady to me, but one offside call. I do think we should have punted there TBH.

KU didn’t lose because of one bad call by the refs. KU’s own self inflicted mistakes took between 9-17 points off the board. The botched PAT’s cost KU three points.

The pick in the endzone likely cost KU 7 points, 3 if we’re being conservative. Grimm’s late hit knocked KU out of FG range likely costing KU at least 3 more points, possibly 7. KU’s own self inflicted mistakes ended up taking at least 9 points off the board and up 17 points off the board.

• I had to listen to the game on Sirius radio on the OSU radio feed (traveling), and only caught the 4th quarter. So, that was not fun. Although I have to say the OSU homer announcers were not real high on their team, and were pretty fair to KU, and they seemed to think OSU was lucky to get some breaks at the end. More dead air space than I’m used to compared to Hanni/KU broadcast for sure.

• @Texas-Hawk-10 I acknowledged very clearly with “we made some enormous mistakes”. And yet if that offside is called, we have a first down, inside their 40, and I really like our chances. It was as huge a non offsides call there’s been since Abner Doubleday invented football.

• As a fan watching the game, there are few things more maddening than an end zone pick when we’re about to score. You just hope the remote is far enough away so you don’t chuck it at the TV.

Mistakes cost us this game.

Like Lance, I also thought OSU dude was offside. Seemed obvious. I must have missed the roughing penalty.

I’m no expert on the running game, but sure as hell seemed to me that our RBs didn’t do basics like cutting and hitting the hole hard. Many times they strung it out the line for a loss. Hit the freaking hole! A few yards is better than losing a few.

Bean. He sure has some highs and ghastly lows.

I really thought our kicking game had turned the corner this year. How do you explain today? Just basic stuff.

Positives: I was happy we overcame the initial deficit. Didn’t seem possible early on.

• Bean just folds under pressure. We have seen it time and time again.

• Lance said the refs on the roughing penalty on Devin was after the whistle. It most assuredly was NOT after the whistle. Game changer? Momentum hurt a bit but we still had a first down inside their side of the field, but another in that series that really were baffling. Lance is pissed

• Boy how easy is it to blame Jason for us ( KU ) getting beat. So Jason was the reason we got beat ? - - I beg to differ. - Now did Jason make mistake’s ? - -Ya , Critical mistakes for sure, but did Jason cause us to lose - -not hardly, there are lots we can choose from , Jason threw FIVE touchdown passes & right at 400 yards & yes threw two bad int’s. Right Jason had his part in us losing BUT Jason Bean did not cost us this game.

If we wanna place blame why don’t we look at our so called Defense? - -If they would of made an appearance today/showed up , the Oklahoma RB Gordon ran past us , around us like a knife through hot butter. How many passes did our secondary have or should have had right in their hands and dropped potential INT’s ? - -Our defense gave up over or right at 500 yards - --FIVE HUNDRED yards. , our defense made a QB that had averaged right at 54 % completion rate on the year, made him look like Brady. - -Jason Bean late in the game had a rating of 289 – -289 holy shit that’s beyond insane.

Or if that doesn’t work for ya how about Luke Grimm’s senseless penalty when KU was driving in Oklahoma State territory which would at least at minimum was probably a field goal which would of made it 35-30-- or possible TD to make it 39-30 - -Luke wasn’t even in the play, he was trailing behind when the catch was made -that penalty was a killer. OR how about our special teams playing their part missing multiple PAT’S . - -Again ya Jason played a big part BUT JASON BEAN did not cost us this game, he had a part, but by far everyone played a role. - How about the O-Line not opening holes or sustaining blocks for our RB’S ?. Thing is , it’s easy to place blame on him sure - -he is in the spot light more, everyone focuses on the QB’S

Now 32 points isn’t a direct result of Jason, but 30 points is – Five touchdowns directly thrown from him is, he didn’t have a part in our special teams blunders. - - 32 points is going to win you a hell of a lot of football games , especially if you have a respectful defense - Jason took us to that -just like when we win - it’s a team win - -if and when we lose -it’s a team loss. -This team just sucked in phases of the game yesterday. Difference between a good team and a average team. - -We had no reason to lose this game yesterday , still lot’s of work to do.

• Yesterday is why I’ve been hesitant to say KU will win 8-9 games this year despite havingtge talent to do so. This team has still yet to show it can beat similarly skilled teams away from Lawrence with any level of consistency.

Can KU go into Ames in 3 weeks and beat a team that they should beat on paper, regardless if it’s Daniels or Bean under center? Until KU gets to a point where their going at least .500 in those games, this is going to be a program that tops out at 6-7 wins per season.

• @jayballer67 Hold the phones - our defense made HUGE progress after giving up 700 yards to Texas🙄

• @Texas-Hawk-10 said in Hypothetical re: Bean:

Yesterday is why I’ve been hesitant to say KU will win 8-9 games this year despite havingtge talent to do so. This team has still yet to show it can beat similarly skilled teams away from Lawrence with any level of consistency.

Can KU go into Ames in 3 weeks and beat a team that they should beat on paper, regardless if it’s Daniels or Bean under center? Until KU gets to a point where their going at least .500 in those games, this is going to be a program that tops out at 6-7 wins per season.

Before Yesterday I would of felt really good about beating Iowa State, & Cincinnati & before yesterday I thought we was going to beat them- -now I am not very sure at all. Our talent has gotten better and I believe it’s better then those three, which leads me to wonder - -Is it our DC ? - I will tell the truth, yesterdays loss has made me take a hard look on expectations for this yr

• @nuleafjhawk said in Hypothetical re: Bean:

@jayballer67 Hold the phones - our defense made HUGE progress after giving up 700 yards to Texas🙄

ya REALLY HUGE- - -700 yards to a legit team to 500 yards to a garbage team lol.

If we are looking and really reaching for something - -I guess if your really reaching for something to positive about we can always say we had the same exact results as K/State against them.- -The kitties lost 29-21 - - a 8 point lost, and we had a 7 seven point loss with our back up QB. - -now HEY there is something to write home about I mean we scored eleven point more the K/State did- - -BUT w gave up Ten points more lol–Yippee

• You can’t say this is a dumb penalty. This is a block being made as the guy is being tackled. Play is not over as Lance was lied to by official. https://x.com/MSwain247/status/1713555014843502840?s=20

• @wissox said in Hypothetical re: Bean:

You can’t say this is a dumb penalty. This is a block being made as the guy is being tackled. Play is not over as Lance was lied to by official. https://x.com/MSwain247/status/1713555014843502840?s=20

It was a dumb penalty because it was a block in the back and should have been flagged. From middle school up, receivers are always taught that if can’t see a defenders eyes, you don’t touch them. Refs call wrong names/numbers on penalties occasionally, it happens.

You’re trying so hard to blame the refs for the loss because of that call. That was a good call. Had KU not screwed up 3 PAT’s or the Bean pick in the endzone, KU would’ve been sitting on 45 points at that point in the game and it would’ve been a meaningless penalty. KU beat KU yesterday, not the refs.

• @Texas-Hawk-10 I don’t know, I’m not as smart as Lance and he was pretty pissed about it to, but the offsides. You don’t think I acknowledge them but I do, but the offside changed so much. It created a turnover when we would have had a first down. This team is still a work in progress and it’s great to argue about a KU football game because for a decade we didn’t give a hoot.

Blaming games on one call is an interesting business. While I also acknowledge that anything could have happened to us had the refs called it offsides, in many games a last play of the game type call means you can blame refs for a call that would have changed the outcome of a game. Despite everything that happened before comes down to a ref making the right call on the last play. Thankfully they almost always do. But at times they miss it and an outcome is changed because of the call. Saints-Rams NFC championship game is a pretty good example, not perfect, but pretty clear, if the right call is made, the saints whittle the clock down to an easy chip shot FG to go to the super bowl. Missouri fans point to the TRob block/goaltend and that noncall meant we win, they call goaltend, we lose. Even though lots of stuff leads up to that point.