Everyone Wants the Hawks.....

• SEC teams rush to schedule the Kansas Jayhawks

Posted by Brent Sobleski on August 26, 2014, 6:04 PM EDT

Kansas Jayhawks football is growing in popularity, albeit for all the wrong reasons.

As conferences attempt to improve their non-conference schedules in order to be more attractive options for the College Football Playoff, the Jayhawks are one of the few teams which play in a Power Five conference that are still classified as a potential “cupcake” on the schedule.

SEC teams, in particular, have been quite interested in scheduling the Jayhawks in recent weeks.

Heard this today: The week the SEC announced mandated non-con games against BCS (or big five) teams, KU received “about seven calls.”

— Rustin Dodd (@rustindodd) August 26, 2014

Kansas’ reputation precedes itself. The program can’t escape the fact its 9-39 the past four seasons. And the Jayhawks are expected to finish last in the Big 12 Conference again this season. The program is essentially seen as a loophole in the SEC’s mandate.

The Jayhawks aren’t eager to regularly play against teams from the best conference in college football. And it may be the first time the program can actually turn down requests from other programs.

But don’t expect KU to have any home-and-homes with SEC teams, KU official says. Non-conference slate is pretty full through the decade.

— Rustin Dodd (@rustindodd) August 26, 2014

Schedules are generally created years in advance. The Jayhawks have a full non-conference slate through 2017, and they’re not exactly playing against powerhouse programs. The one team that’s been highly successful the Jayhawks face during that period is the Duke Blue Devils this season.

Kansas does currently have one opening in its non-conference schedule in 2018. And the program has two openings for the 2019 and 2020 season. SEC teams may have to fight over those opportunities to actually play Kansas in the future. At that point, Kansas may be able to leverage a home-and-home series with an SEC program.

• @nuleafjhawk depressing!!!

• @Crimsonorblue22 It’s starting to remind me of the old K-State games. When I was a kid (15 or 16) one of my friend/enemies was a crazy KSU fan. I bet him $20 ( a HUGE amount of money for me - then and now!) that Oklahoma would beat K-State and I gave him 60 points. (Mostly to just be a butt) Oklahoma won 63-0. He was so mad I don’t think he talked to me for a year. Didn’t pay me either.

• As someone living in SEC country, I wish this article was about SEC teams wanting to schedule the basketball team so I might see them play on occasion.

• Banned

It’s all a setup. KU has the SEC right where they want them. The SEC thinks they’ll be getting a cupcake, yet in reality they’ll be getting a fudge cake. The rise of KU football starts now. 😉