2023 Recruiting

• Chatman OV this weekend. Nice!

• AJ Johnson mentions his intentions to visit KU in the future. Recruitment is shall we say heating up

• Well read where Jacobe Walter committed to Baylor. - -Considered the # 1 overall shooting guard in the class and the # 21 recruit in the Nation. Scot is becoming a real pain in the ass

• @jayballer67 said in 2023 Recruiting:

Well read where Jacobe Walter committed to Baylor. - -Considered the # 1 overall shooting guard in the class and the # 21 recruit in the Nation. Scot is becoming a real pain in the ass

I agree he really is, but we/the conference needs the competition. The conference grind as I like to call it helped everyone out in March and April.

• Well, every year I wait til the current year’s recruiting class is settled before digging into the next year’s recruiting thread. (2023).

Somehow I still don’t feel like the team is set!

But maybe it’s time …

• Layden Blocker to Arkansas

• Probably already been mentioned some where in here but Chris Johnson is going to be on Campus I think Monday - -and we all know Mikey is coming - -and remember the phrase let’s get Mikey. Mikey likes everything. Soooo if Mikeys likes it then good news for KU lol

Probably already been mentioned some where in here but Chris Johnson is going to be on Campus I think Monday - -and we all know Mikey is coming - -and remember the phrase let’s get Mikey. Mikey likes everything. Soooo if Mikeys likes it then good news for KU lol

Those two and Chatman are names I would follow.

• If Bshark says it I would believe it.

• @BShark said in 2023 Recruiting:

@jayballer67 said in 2023 Recruiting:

Probably already been mentioned some where in here but Chris Johnson is going to be on Campus I think Monday - -and we all know Mikey is coming - -and remember the phrase let’s get Mikey. Mikey likes everything. Soooo if Mikeys likes it then good news for KU lol

Those two and Chatman are names I would follow.

I could live with that. - Might sound silly /crazy but the longer this goes the more serious and the better chance I think this whole Mikey thing just might become a reality

• Mikey on Campus today. - -wonder is it official or un official ?

Mikey on Campus today. - -wonder is it official or un official ?

Official

• @FarmerJayhawk said in 2023 Recruiting:

Official

Thats even a little better then right ? - - I mean if he is using one of his Official visits for KU? - must be more then an eh - - ok I’ll stop by. Gotta be a little more serious contention right ?

@FarmerJayhawk said in 2023 Recruiting:

Official

Thats even a little better then right ? - - I mean if he is using one of his Official visits for KU? - must be more then an eh - - ok I’ll stop by. Gotta be a little more serious contention right ?

Man, I’ve got zero feel on this whatsoever. Mikey could easily pay his own way considering how much he makes from Puma. And I doubt he uses all 5 officials, so I guess no harm here.

• New offer out to 2023 unranked guard Elmarko Jackson 6’3 from South Kent CT.

Safe to say he’s going to be ranked soon with a ton of new offers in the past month from Virginia, Tennessee, Minnesota, Oklahoma, Miami, Penn St, St Johns, Kansas St, Depaul. Recently visited Maryland and he’s in no rush to decide

• @BeddieKU23 said in 2023 Recruiting:

New offer out to 2023 unranked guard Elmarko Jackson 6’3 from South Kent CT.

Safe to say he’s going to be ranked soon with a ton of new offers in the past month from Virginia, Tennessee, Minnesota, Oklahoma, Miami, Penn St, St Johns, Kansas St, Depaul. Recently visited Maryland and he’s in no rush to decide

ya, sounds like he is just getting really noticed now I reckon

• Reada an article where KU is recruiting 7’1 post man Dennis Evans 210 pounds - -averages nearly 7 blocks a game. - he said KU had been in contact with him - - ALOT- - # 18 according to 247 sports - seen some video - -needs to add some weight but DAM 7 blocks.

KU - -Minnesota - - Florida State - - TCU – San Diego St. - - - KU - -San Diego State and another the ones with most contact

• @jayballer67

Big upside on Evans especially at his size. I’d say he’s a work in progress as far as being a complete player but his jump into the Top 20 is taking into account the long term potential he has.

@jayballer67

Big upside on Evans especially at his size. I’d say he’s a work in progress as far as being a complete player but his jump into the Top 20 is taking into account the long term potential he has.

seen a little on him not to bad - -but mercy those nearly 7 blocks a game sticks out. - - He says we hitting him all the time - - you think we legit trying to get this kid - - might be a nice pickup 7’1

• @jayballer67

It sounds like we are after him. Ideal rim protector/lob guy. Not sure of need especially if Udeh/Zuby/Zach are around for a while.

@jayballer67

It sounds like we are after him. Ideal rim protector/lob guy. Not sure of need especially if Udeh/Zuby/Zach are around for a while.

ya , that’s my question. I mean exactly right sounds like huge rim protecter , just didn’t get why with the others we got. Don’t get me wrong who am I to question Bill I’d be fine if he did come

• Not sure if we take a 5, but if we do he is up there on the list.

• On Dennis Evans, I would drop everything to recruit this kid. At that size, with that coordination, his potential is basically unlimited.

Lots of things stand out to me, but I will only list a few.

1. he’s currently listed at 7-1, 210. Just natural development will probably have him at 225 by the time he gets on campus, and once he gets into a strength program, going to 240 is easily within reach. That will change his ceiling dramatically all on its own.

2. He has a soft touch already. That is critical since it is important for big guys to be able to shoot a little to prevent getting mauled in the post.

3. He’s quick enough to handle guards out away from the basket, and he’s so long that even if they create some space, it’s probably not enough to get up a shot that he cannot bother.

4. He’s a natural lefty, but he blocks shots with either hand (or both).

Basically, he’s got all of the tools already, and you can be confident that he’s going to get stronger as he gets older. He isn’t as far along offensively, but that is something that could happen quickly because he already can shoot. He could be a top 5 player in his class by the time November gets here.

Not sure if we take a 5, but if we do he is up there on the list.

That’s just it BShark. If Udeh , Zuby & Zach are still here which I don’t see anyway they won’t be - then the question becomes - - WHY is Coach even recruting a 5. - Since he is it looks like then I think this kid is for sure we could use. - -So are we intrestd seriously on this kid or what ?

• @jayballer67 Zuby is not a 5, he’s a 4. Zach Clemence has the skill set and ability to play the 4 in college since he can play away from the basket.

If a top 20 player who could move up further is interested in your program, you recruit him because you need talent and depth to win championships.

• @Texas-Hawk-10 said in 2023 Recruiting:

@jayballer67 Zuby is not a 5, he’s a 4. Zach Clemence has the skill set and ability to play the 4 in college since he can play away from the basket.

If a top 20 player who could move up further is interested in your program, you recruit him because you need talent and depth to win championships.

As long as Bill sticks with the 4 out (whether 2/2/1 or 1/3/1 guard/wing/big) Zuby won’t play the 4 here.

@jayballer67 Zuby is not a 5, he’s a 4. Zach Clemence has the skill set and ability to play the 4 in college since he can play away from the basket.

Agree with @Texas-Hawk-10 here. If a potential top 5 recruit that could be a top 5 NBA draft pick is even remotely interested in coming to play for you, you make those phone calls and set up those visits.

Even if Dennis Evans doesn’t improve to his full potential, he can already help a college team right now with his size and agility. But if he does improve to his potential, look out because he could end up being the best player on a college team.

• AJ or Mikey with Dennis in this class would have me elated.

• This post is deleted!

• Reading that Scotty is looking to make his College Choice by the 18th of July. - -I think if we wanted him hard - - he would be ours but I just think maybe aiming a little higher. Could be wrong have been n many times before. I wouldn’t be upset if he landed here just think we have other players maybe we are after harder. - - I think Scotty lands at U Conn.

We ar one of the final 4, well it was 5 but he never visited Tex a & m - I just don’t think in the end run they are in serious contention of the remaining schools

• New offer https://247sports.com/player/tj-power-46103238/

@BeddieKU23 from your neck of the woods

• @BShark

Yepp. Guess the 41pt effort caught their attention. Would be a “4” here. Can shoot it and has good ball skills. Looks like he’s taken OV’s to UVA & Iowa so far.

• https://twitter.com/GPCRyanG/status/1549868028288012288

I am now actually taking Tang seriously.

• So guys. does anyone have a feel , any kind of inside scoop , rumor or anything on how we feel about our Chances to land : - - Taison Chatman - -and or Chris Johnson - or both. Haven’t heard to much promising yet I know we will be fine just curious ?

Does anyone think we would actually get Mikey ? - -if he wanted - -do we take him ?

So guys. does anyone have a feel , any kind of inside scoop , rumor or anything on how we feel about our Chances to land : - - Taison Chatman - -and or Chris Johnson - or both. Haven’t heard to much promising yet I know we will be fine just curious ?

Does anyone think we would actually get Mikey ? - -if he wanted - -do we take him ?

Mikey Williams will follow the money. Whatever option makes him the most money whether it’s NIL or pro is where he’ll end up. If he goes the college route and wants to come to KU, yes KU should take him because he is a very good player and plays a position of need for KU’s 2023 class.

So guys. does anyone have a feel , any kind of inside scoop , rumor or anything on how we feel about our Chances to land : - - Taison Chatman - -and or Chris Johnson - or both. Haven’t heard to much promising yet I know we will be fine just curious ?

Mikey Williams will follow the money. Whatever option makes him the most money whether it’s NIL or pro is where he’ll end up. If he goes the college route and wants to come to KU, yes KU should take him because he is a very good player and plays a position of need for KU’s 2023 class.

ya probably true and probably pro

https://twitter.com/GPCRyanG/status/1549868028288012288

I’m not until he wins some games. A 60th ranked player in 23 is more like a fringe top 100 in stronger years

• @jayballer67 With his social media following, I think college and NIL money is where he’ll end up. He has almost 4 million followers on Instagram so he’s one of those guys who could potentially rake in 8 figures in NIL money in college. That’s not likely to happen if he goes pro instead of college.

@BShark said in 2023 Recruiting:

I’m not until he wins some games. A 60th ranked player in 23 is more like a fringe top 100 in stronger years

Even if he is decent as a freshman, keeping him in Manhattan for 4 years with the new rules is easier said than done.

• For those who follow recruiting much more closely, why is it that KU has zero commits in the 2023 class? And, seemingly nothing more than a “warm” with anyone on the 247 list? Duke and UK each have 5-6 commits or 100% predictions in the top 50. Several other schools have multiple top 50 commits.

• @Kcmatt7 said in 2023 Recruiting:

@FarmerJayhawk said in 2023 Recruiting:

@BShark said in 2023 Recruiting:

Even if he is decent as a freshman, keeping him in Manhattan for 4 years with the new rules is easier said than done.

This is fair.

• @DCHawker said in 2023 Recruiting:

For those who follow recruiting much more closely, why is it that KU has zero commits in the 2023 class? And, seemingly nothing more than a “warm” with anyone on the 247 list? Duke and UK each have 5-6 commits or 100% predictions in the top 50. Several other schools have multiple top 50 commits.

My guess is KU only ends needing to fill 2-4 slots and will be highly selective. TECHNICALLY only Cam Martin will be coming off the books but I would bank on Jalen leaving, and probably McCullar as well. As mentioned it is a weak class, so outside of landing someone like a Mikey Williams, I could see the staff wanting experienced talent.

In addition to Mikey, some names to know: Chris Johnson, Taison Chatman and Kaden Cooper. Wings is where we will likely need to add some guys and 3/4 here are wings. Bigs are basically set. Dennis Evans is very interesting but I could see not adding a big at all. I think you take Evans if he wants to come and figure it out.

@FarmerJayhawk might have some more insight.

• @DCHawker

Not sure the staff has pushed for a commitment from anyone. They have had plenty of visitors but all of them are still going through the process. It’s a down class as well so I think that adds to being selective. Personally I hope we turn the heat up. I think we will see enough turnover to need 3/4 guys. Take 1-2 guys early and then focus on best available in portal and late signing guys.

I know a lot of guys are coming off the board early so I get the concern.

• Chris Johnson taking an official on June 25th. Perhaps that will be one to seriously watch!

• It’s still early yet, so not a ton to report. If I had to wager, I’d say there will be 4-5 spots open (Martin, McCullar, Wilson, a wing, maayyybe Yesufu since he’ll graduate). So based on that, you take a big, a wing, and 2-3 other skill guys. The line gets fuzzy between wing and combo guard, so it might be useful just to categorize as big, wing, PG. Mikey is a take anytime. I believe they’d take Chatman or Johnson right now too. TJ Power is kind of a mystery right now since he went supernova. If we get Mikey I think you’ll see us go back to two guards, two wings, and a big.

• Don’t think Kaden Cooper is a target. He visited Gonzaga & is looking to set up visits to LSU, Texas & Alabama.

• Dennis Evans is coming for Late Night. Will be one to watch for sure.

Dennis Evans is coming for Late Night. Will be one to watch for sure.

I think this s a no lose situation. We have plenty of inside presence coming up But if Evans still wanted to come - - - – hell ya with his rim protection and other things he has got goin I’d take him

Don’t think Kaden Cooper is a target. He visited Gonzaga & is looking to set up visits to LSU, Texas & Alabama.

Yeah writing is kinda on the wall. Compare how it progressed with him and how the Chatman and CJ ones are going.