Will the XFL hurt college football?

• Banned

Watched a couple games over last weekend of the new XFL. I have to say, “it wasn’t bad”. Wouldn’t be surprised if it sticks around. So if the XFL is successful does this hurt college football? I think it might.

• Why would it? Not sure I understand the logic here. It’s another pro league and is not competing with cfb for views or talent.

I could be missing something though, wouldn’t be the first time.

• @BShark I don’t think they have an age limit.

• Banned

@dylans

Yea the CBA of the NFL has a age limit, but the XFL doesn’t.

• They probably pay less than the SEC tbh.

• @BShark Kinda a preview of what the nba hopes to do with their minor league/academies deal.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/xflnewshub.com/xfl-players/xfl-player-salary-structure/amp/

1- Similar to the NFL’s “franchise” designation, a minimum $250,000 salary will be exclusively assigned to one player. This tier will likely be used for the quarterback. It could go as high as $600,000, but don’t expect Colin Kaepernick to be wearing an XFL uniform.

2- Three players will be assigned this pay level with a range of $150,000 to $175,000.

3- This level allows the largest contingent with 23 players. The salary will fall between $70,000 and $100,000.

4- The lowest pay will be allotted to 18 players. Their salary will be at least $50,000, with the potential to reach $70,000.

It may not seem like much, but consider college athletes who are less than three years removed from high school and ineligible for the NFL. Clemson QB Trevor Lawrence may find this a tempting opportunity. Others may also be enticed by endorsement deals available in the XFL which are forbidden by the NCAA.

• @dylans

I see it attractive for talented players that have trouble in school, academic, off-the-field problems etc.

If a big time player just quit College to play in the XFL that would turn heads

• I could see a few guys defecting. That’s honestly not terrible money. A guy like Lawrence has an insurance policy on himself so staying in school is the smart thing to do until draft eligible.

As far as getting top talent to defect to the XFL, I could see this being attractive to someone like Pooka maybe. He’s overachieved at a crappy school and is almost certainly getting overlooked at a national level. It would be interesting to gauge how NFL scouts feel about a guy who put up 7 yards a carry as a freshman and 5.2. as a sophomore behind atrocious offensive lines. But that is what I imagine that is about the only true defects besides those that @BeddieKU23 pointed out. I’m also curious how much under the table money Pooka is getting right now though… I’d assume it would rival the pay of the XFL.

• Some ex ku players that couldn’t stay or make the nfl, Ben heeney for 1. Anyone hear Chris Harris might be going to the chiiieerfffs?

• @Crimsonorblue22 said in Will the XFL hurt college football?:

Some ex ku players that couldn’t stay or make the nfl, Ben heeney for 1. Anyone hear Chris Harris might be going to the chiiieerfffs?

Rumors. He’d have to take a big discount for us I think. Spotrac has his contract estimated at like 3 years for $33M.

So I just don’t see it happening.

• The endorsement deals could be huge. Imagine how much Zion could’ve made; but would he be as marketable (Pre-NBA) without Duke?

• @BShark exactly, these XFL guys are getting like 50k a year. Cam Newton’s dad got 200k, I don’t think there is an issue with people jumping ship for that little of money.

• @dylans yes