Tennessee Volunteers - Saturday - 3pm - ESPN

• From 2000-2010

QXY3jhD.jpg

• @DanR Cool, I drove thru there once upon a time. Beautiful country side, very strange people and not near as nice as people from the Midwest.

• kjayhawks said:

@DanR Cool, I drove thru there once upon a time. Beautiful country side, very strange people and not near as nice as people from the Midwest.

That is exactly as I’d describe it, except I’d say “suspicious” instead of “strange.”

Very glad to be back in Lawrence, KS. Everyone here is genuinely friendly, (not fake polite)… everyone, even the checkers at Dillons are happy. No one asks me what church I go to. Still have beautiful countrysides if you like wide open spaces and big skies. Roads generally go in two predictable directions. It brings out the best in a person, I think.

Miss the proximity to the Smoky Mountains, musicians, some colleagues and hard earned neighbor friends, but that’s about it.

• @DanR It’s actually very strange to me how not friendly or even flat out rude people are when I north or east. People in Kansas are generally pretty nice even in the worst cities like Hutchinson or Manhattan lol.

• Hutch? U kidding me?

• uh oh. I love Hutch. Bash on Topeka or Wichita all you want.

(and those places aren’t that bad either)

• @DanR thx!

• Lol. To each their own. I’m glad more people don’t love it here; I’d have to move if more people stayed.

• kjayhawks said:

@DanR It’s actually very strange to me how not friendly or even flat out rude people are when I north or east. People in Kansas are generally pretty nice even in the worst cities like Hutchinson or Manhattan lol.

Intra-Kansas fights are amazing. For example I will absolutely die on the hill I’m not from western Kansas. CENTRAL ISNT WESTERN MY GODS

• FarmerJayhawk said:

kjayhawks said:

@DanR It’s actually very strange to me how not friendly or even flat out rude people are when I north or east. People in Kansas are generally pretty nice even in the worst cities like Hutchinson or Manhattan lol.

Intra-Kansas fights are amazing. For example I will absolutely die on the hill I’m not from western Kansas. CENTRAL ISNT WESTERN MY GODS

Thank god. Sedgwick county police are the absolute worst in the state.

• My brother moved to Maryville (s of Knoxville a few miles) and he says he has never met nicer people in his life.

Our experience at a KU game at UTenn was wonderful. We were #1 and lost. People celebrating after the game actually apologized and sympathized when they saw our KU gear. Everyone we met couldn’t have been friendlier.

Perception is everything. I went to Ann Arbor for law school, and found the people were as cold as the weather compared to KC and KU. I heard students from NY and NC talking about how they had never been in a friendlier place.

• @mayjay I’ve found the less population the nicer the people are. But you get back what you put off. Also some of the poorest people I know are among the happiest. 🤔

• @dylans Studies have shown once you get to a certain point, the more money a person makes generally the less happy that person is. A few years ago the cut off was around 70k. Surveys showed once people made more than that they actually worried more about money than people who didn’t have enough. They became tighter with their finances and less likely to give generously which is scientifically the best way to boost happiness.

• @dylans what u put in?

• @Crimsonorblue22 sure. I meant vibes/attitude

• I went to a premier showing of a little documentary called “Happy” in the underground salt mines of my town, awful town I guess. They traveled all over the continent to find the happiest people.

• My neighbors are from Hutch. They have four little kids under 10 years old. Literally the happiest people on the planet. (Maybe it’s because they now live in Lawrence, but I think they were already like that)

I agree with @dylans too… you usually get back the attitude you bring yourself.

• I lived for 11 years in the south and found it to be quite unfriendly. Southern hospitality was not evident to us. Our only real friends were outsiders like us. Church potlucks were always cliques, and large extended families sitting together. I don’t miss them at all.

• Like anything, it’s pretty hit and miss. I live in the South now and it’s pretty similar to LFK as far as how friendly people are. But quite a few of us are transplants so ¯_(ツ)_/¯

• @Crimsonorblue22 thanks. Looks interesting. Will watch.

• I have family across the south and Midwest. Both have nice people, but I feel like the Midwest is quicker to accept people. No one in the Midwest cares that my sisters are “daughters of the mayflower” or whatever - doesn’t matter. Both have jerks of all natures as well.

• benshawks08 said:

@dylans Studies have shown once you get to a certain point, the more money a person makes generally the less happy that person is. A few years ago the cut off was around 70k. Surveys showed once people made more than that they actually worried more about money than people who didn’t have enough. They became tighter with their finances and less likely to give generously which is scientifically the best way to boost happiness.

The happiest people I ever met were in Negril in the late 80s. The average household income at the time was around $1000 per year. The location sure didn’t hurt though lol. It’s become more commercialized lately - more money, but the people seem a bit less happy too.

• !

2010 pre-game in Knoxville. I’ll have better seats tomorrow. And a better phone camera.

(Testing to see if I can upload pics from my phone)

• Nope

• 1CCD049F-EC33-4A69-BF41-07368B8A15E1.jpeg

Ok. Figured it out.

• @Crimsonorblue22 I’ve never liked Hutch or had any good experiences with the people there, 3/4s of the people I see in that don’t have any teeth and look like they are on meth. Took my kid to a park there once and found syringes laying around. One of my coworkers is from their and doesn’t have anything good to say about it either. That doesn’t mean there ain’t good people there, just a place I’d never consider living along with Manhattan and Wichita. We don’t have to take everything to an extreme, plenty of people may not enjoy where I live and that’s fine. We have a right to our opinion, most people’s vary.

• @kjayhawks where do you live?

• @DanR a Small town of 600 people in central Kansas.

• I assume during gameday when they aren’t bashing Silvio they’ll talk about the walk-on game at UTK. The vols had a bunch of suspended players in that game 10 years ago. Some interesting parallels.

• @DanR what are they gonna say in front of self? Can’t take words back!

• DanR said:

1CCD049F-EC33-4A69-BF41-07368B8A15E1.jpeg

We had the exact same angle but were in literally the very top row.

Weren’t the halftime girls (preteen baton twirlers?) really amazing?

Did you go to the KU rally at Calhoun’s On the River?

We might have been 20 ft away from each other all day!

• Hey @mayjay We undoubtably participated in the same “Let’s go Jayhawks-clap clap - clap clap clap.” cheers that upset the native vols. The vol fans also didn’t appreciate the KU players huddling up on the center court’s sacred power T logo. (I thought that was amusing.)

Didn’t go to Calhoun’s.

I’d forgotten about the halftime show, but you’re right: batons. There seemed to be an inordinate number of baton twirlers in the Southeast/SEC. I guess if they can’t sing or play guitar by age five, they put a baton in young girls’ hands. Impressive, in a way. KU has one baton twirler and she’ll probably graduate soon and that will be the end of it.

Our seats were 2nd row from the upper deck railing on the south side. Not horrible for a 21,000 seat arena. My wife was on the academic/athletics board for a few years and she had a pair of complimentary season tickets to football, basketball and lady vols BB. We went to almost all the lady vols games (later Pat Summitt days/Candice Parker era) and I went to a lot of mens games on my own. Bruce Pearl kicked a bunch of dud guys off his teams; and, despite his own flaws, I still think he’s a pretty decent coach. Definitely had his players motivated that day.

One of a few inconsequential losses for KU fans. Legendary game for UT fans.

• @kjayhawks I’ve lived in both Bigger and Smaller towns here in Kansas and Texas & Colorado.

In Colorado had the time of my life , of Course I didn’t live or deal with the bigger Cities , and I loved it didn’t have to deal with people where I was at. Lived in a little town named Hayden Colorado , about 30-40 minutes away from Steam Boat Springs , loved it Could sit on the porch and hear the stream running - -closest neighbor about 5 miles away Sweet Mountain face right at the edge of the back yard loved it - -WHY did I ever come back lol.

Lived in San Antonio Texas can’t really judge that scenario that well cause umm active Military at that time , it was ok I guess maybe just wrong place at wrong time lol.

Yet now you said you didn’t like Wichita ? I loved Wichita for the size of the city very easy to get around , had no overly problem with the people , sure you had some but what city doesn’t ? - -Lots to do very easy to find things to do. Use to love to go watch the Minor league Baseball team there. - Then also lived in out lying area in a little town by the name of Benton Kansas about half way in between Wichita and El Dorado , loved it there just a little hole in the road but very nice little country town

• @jayballer73 Wichita is too big for me. Wichita has some nice parts but also some very bad parts. Most bigger cities are that way, any place I could afford in Wichita, I’d have to stand guard with a shotgun 24/7 lol.

• @kjayhawks You might try living in rural Indiana. Could leave your doors unlocked at night.

• Did Seth Greenberg seriously just say the B10 will get 12 teams in the NCAA tournament?

• That was entertaining. Yes he did. And then when asked who would win and by how much between Tenn and KU he picked Kentucky.

A bit off his game today.

• Texas Hawk 10 said:

Did Seth Greenberg seriously just say the B10 will get 12 teams in the NCAA tournament?

Ya - - that he did lol. Saying they have something 12 out of the top 15 spots on something. - -Same Greenburg that when giving predictions called KU - -Kentucky by 12 at first , not doing well lol

• He said they have 12 of top 50 teams. His rationale was that they will be playing each other in conference and that will = continued quality wins.

By the way, I think he said “may” or “could” get 12. I can’t say that for certain. That was my takeaway before reading the posts. But I didn’t record it.

• See these announcers are all ready talking about good chance of Tennessee up setting KU. Talking about little depth for KU because of suspensions.

I get that, ya it makes us thing - -BUT what the y don’t seem to understand is actually these suspensions aren’t as bad as what they could of been.

Silvio barely see Court time anyways , well at least up to this point in time , maybe like 5 minutes a game , he has been pretty much of a non factor anyways for us.-- McCormack ya plays more minutes - - BUT Coach has usually been taking him out and going 4-1 more and more. More of a factor, but not a huge difference maker - - more actually quite a bit more of a 4-1 then 3-2 lately , as long as Doke stays out of foul trouble , we are going to be fine in this 2 game suspension & today – Enaruna can give him spot relief, wish Jalen was available but I think the media is over blowing this

• @jayballer73 The radio ESPN guys think it helps KU - more playing time for shooters Moss and Braun.

• dylans said:

@jayballer73 The radio ESPN guys think it helps KU - more playing time for shooters Moss and Braun.

That’s what I’m saying too - - I don’t get it why they think that it hurts us that much

• dylans said:

@jayballer73 The radio ESPN guys think it helps KU - more playing time for shooters Moss and Braun.

It also means either Doke playing 40 minutes and probably being gassed at the end or Tristan playing at the 5 for a couple of games.

• jayballer73 said:

dylans said:

That’s what I’m saying too - - I don’t get it why they think that it hurts us that much

Here’s how it hurts KU. If I’m Barnes, I’m telling my team to drive at Doke to try and get him in foul trouble. Anything to get two quick fouls on him and drive Self to either play Doke with two fouls or bring Tristan in at the 5.

It doesn’t affect the perimeter at all and forces the 4 guard offense, but it does affect the front court because Self doesn’t have a true low post player active except for Doke for the next two games. KU could also have a 5 guard line up on the floor at some point if Tristan is as bad as he’s been lately as well with either Ochai or Garrett at the 5. When Doke comes off the floor, there’s going to be some interesting line ups for Self out there the next two games.

• @Texas-Hawk-10 who do they have for post guys?

• Texas Hawk 10 said:

dylans said:

It also means either Doke playing 40 minutes and probably being gassed at the end or Tristan playing at the 5 for a couple of games.

They brought out the fact that Doke has been playing like 33 minutes the last 2-3 games. Think your or what they are saying Enaruna going to spot Doke for couple of minutes

• jayballer73 said:

Texas Hawk 10 said:

dylans said:

They brought out the fact that Doke has been playing like 33 minutes the last 2-3 games. Think your or what they are saying Enaruna going to spot Doke for couple of minutes

That’s only if he stays out of foul trouble. Guaranteed Tennessee is going to be doing everything they can to get Doke in early foul trouble today.

• Dok been really good at staying out of foul trouble this season, even while becoming much more assertive on defense. He has fouled out only once, against Dayton, the game that went to overtime. He’s had 4 fouls in 2 other games.

It would be a good strategy to get him in foul trouble, but he has smartened up a lot, and I suspect he’ll be ok.

• @Texas-Hawk-10

Bracketology currently has 11. I dont think that holds

• @Texas-Hawk-10 - good call on UT tactics!