Big 12 Suspensions

• Got a beer bottle thrown at me in Aggieville once just for wearing a blue (not even KU!) shirt. Good times all around.

• I have heard a lot of opinions about the incident. Here is mine. There are no fights, no suspensions, or even any hard feelings, if a punk named Gordon does not pull a bush league play while Silvio is running out the clock. I am sure Self has drilled it into the Jayhawk players to never run up the score or needlessly embarrass the opposing team. Remember the BGreene dunk? Squeaky said he told his players to stand down in the last few seconds. He is either a liar or his players pay no attention to him. Remember the Monmouth game earlier this season when another punk pulled a bush league play against Tristan dribbling out the last few seconds of a 110-55 blow out? I believe just maybe the Jayhawks are real tired of bush league punks coming into Allen Fieldhouse and after getting their asses kicked all over the floor for 40 minutes, they think they are getting the last laugh by being a punk. Bottom line is this: the punk Gordon is the one and only culprit in this melee.

• @rockchalkwyo @FarmerJayhawk Aggieville is trash if you ask me, too many idiots especially if anything is going on out at fort Riley. Hundreds of army dudes that want to get hammered and start fights. I’m lucky I’m just big enough at 6’2 230 (I’m getting fat lol) not a ton people looking for trouble come my way.

• I’d bet large sums of money if by chance they beat us in that shit hole there is a fight between their fans and our players.

• Right all the army guys want to do is get drunk and start fights. Sure. Great info.

• HighEliteMajor said:

I just don’t want to see him play here again. My opinion. I know that most probably disagree. This isn’t a felony, or a crime against humanity, he didn’t hurt anyone – I get that. He stood over a guy, then got caught up in the melee I which he was an active participant (I’m always good with someone defending themselves; he was more active than that. He pursued too), then inexplicably picked up a chair over his head as if he was going to use it. That’s what this was. The worst part is the reflection on our program.

This was too much for me, coupled with what his recruitment has brought to us. I’d like to see him play elsewhere next season and transfer. A fresh start for him, too. Hopefully, as with many folks that make mistakes, they learn and are better for it. I bet that’s the case here.

Is he going to graduate this year where he could transfer out and play elsewhere immediately? I just can’t see him sitting out another year for any reason. I feel its grad transfer, play for KU, or go pro.

• @HighEliteMajor not all but most, especially the pissed off 18 year olds just outta basic. I have a friend that’s a county sheriffs deputy up there and he says the crime over doubles when that place is full.

• @Hawk8086 I read some stuff on Bring on the Cats and got some laughs. Apparently because Weber told them to back off in the final seconds, according to Bruce himself. They get a pass for pressing and fouling hard the last TWO MINUTES, NOT SECONDS. Also apparently Silivio threw the chair at a KSU player according to them and for some reason no one mentioned Love actually starting the physical fight. Also Bruce wasn’t at mid court like he claimed apparently he was in the middle pulling guys out like Self and Co, their are just very sneaky lol.

• TMCats is over there talking trash, too.

• kjayhawks said:

@Hawk8086 I read some stuff on Bring on the Cats and got some laughs. Apparently because Weber told them to back off in the final seconds, according to Bruce himself. They get a pass for pressing and fouling hard the last TWO MINUTES, NOT SECONDS. Also apparently Silivio threw the chair at a KSU player according to them and for some reason no one mentioned Love actually starting the physical fight. Also Bruce wasn’t at mid court like he claimed apparently he was in the middle pulling guys out like Self and Co, their are just very sneaky lol.

Ya I heard the Weber weekly talk, he said he didn’t see anything , and didn’t even know what was going on - - he was on his way to shake Bill’s hand and then seen Bill and our Assistants running the other way. He said then He , ( Weber went and tackled Gordan ( Hell Weber couldn’t tackle a limp noodle ).

Then he say Gordan didn’t do anything wrong , talking about Gordon stealing the ball. He talked about how Gordon was taking things really hard , saying he was getting all this hate mail - - I’m sure. – ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• kjayhawks said:

Also Bruce wasn’t at mid court like he claimed apparently he was in the middle pulling guys out like Self and Co, their are just very sneaky lol.

More on the peripheral

8465E4E6-36D4-4A4A-B352-87B9C592E44D.jpeg

Squeaky makes it a step further in. (Still rotating pictures and I can’t figure out how to straighten it)

• I have no issue with Weber’s role in the brawl. That picture shows him straining hard trying to hold that hidden guy back. As I described before, he ushered that guy and Love out that exit immediately after Love ducked away from the fight. By doing that quickly, Weber might have actually helped prevent fans from trying to retaliate or provoke Love if they saw him leaving.

Now, everyone knows I cannot abide Squeaky, but I can’t fault him for not diving deeply into the scrum–enough people were doing that.

• The tall guy in the black suit did what Weber should’ve been doing! Imo

• I would say that we got very lucky. Who knows, this team might now be on a mission - D-ing up, boxing out, rebounding, hitting wide open threes and the like. This could be a galvanizing thing for the team.

• @jayballer73 @kjayhawks That figures. One -sided and ignoring their part in the whole thing.

• @mayjay Very true what he did wasn’t bad. He grabbed Gordon on the peripheral of the fight and held him back. However, Bill from the other side of the court had run into the middle of the scrum and had both Silvio and McCormack by the jersey effectively ending the fight.

What no one sees in this is in the pre-game warmups the entire KU team is on the KSU side - some sit on the bench most are shooting; the entire KSU team is on the KU side doing the same except one player. Love was on the side the KU players were on, talking crap the whole time. Ironically next to a gal in an #unhandme shirt.

• @dylans Imagine that, lol

• I totally forgot Saturday is College Gameday in Lawrence…

The timing of this fight couldn’t have been worse lol. It’s going to be all they talk about in the lead up to our game.

• Kcmatt7 said:

I totally forgot Saturday is College Gameday in Lawrence…

The timing of this fight couldn’t have been worse lol. It’s going to be all they talk about in the lead up to our game.

Who wants to bet they show the still of Silvio holding the chair that he never ends up swinging?

• Dick Vitale has doubled down on his position that Silvio should be banned for the season. Hopefully that means he is so disappointed/disgusted in KU he never announces another one of our games!!!

• I guess fran said he thinks Self leaves for nba.

• I pretty much agree with the Jay Bilas response. My exception is that the refs should step in and stop a last second steal. Yes, that would have stopped this event but it is an overreach for several reasons. First… it is a slippery slope and before you know it, refs may be getting involved in outcomes that are still marginally known outcomes. Second… we have the gambling lines and I know gamblers don’t want refs to be anywhere involved in what the final score will be.

Thinking back to the brawl… there was no bad blood all through the game. Nothing. You couldn’t even tell this was a rival game. So it is clear that the players weren’t really holding much hatred/anger inside before the event took place. Knowing that… the brawl was really a “perfect storm” in how it escalated to such a crazy level so quickly. The steal was the first taunt. The Silvio stand over was the second taunt. And then it went straight downhill. I’m thinking the real gas on this fire came from players on both sides who were holding built up anxiety completely unrelated to players on the other team. With Silvio, it is clear he hasn’t had the year anyone expected, including him, and he has received plenty of criticism based on crushed expectations. Love seems to have frustration about his situation and injury. Gordon… ? And Big Mac might have some frustration, too. He must feel like he has added pressure to his game or he will get pulled for a 4-guard lineup.

All these factors seemed to fuel the “perfect storm.”

• @drgnslayr big Dave standing up for his brother. Same for Marcus.

• @drgnslayr Add in the facts that it happened with the clock seeming to expire and on KSU’s end of the court. Pretty sure Silvio would have still blocked it (and taunted) if it happened with 20 seconds left, but there’s no way the KSU bench players run out there with time still on the clock or if it had happened all the way on the other end of the floor. Who knows for sure.

It also didn’t really help that Fran acted like he was calling the Hindenburg disaster while it was going on. Oh, the humanity.

• With the chair as the lasting image from this event it may not be up to Self whether Silvio is on the roster after this season.

• Lost in the Sauce:

Illinois Alan Griffin gets suspended two games for stepping on the chest of a Purdue player during their game Tuesday.

Something was in the water on Tuesday.

• Kcmatt7 said:

I’ll bet that the next KU/K-State game won’t be shown on ESPN+… Ka-Ching! “Hey, do you want to air a commercial during the next KU/K-State game? Remember, they had that big fight last time. Everybody will be watching!”

• Kcmatt7 said:

Oh you know I would almost bet that will be their opening commentary and w will have to go all through the whole dam scenario all over again. Then they will talk about how KU has been Centerstage with not such good thing as of late - - per the NCAA Scandal among other things you can take it to the bank – I mean it’s ESPN - - THEY SUCK oh hell I’ve already said that lol.

• dylans said:

Dick Vitale has doubled down on his position that Silvio should be banned for the season. Hopefully that means he is so disappointed/disgusted in KU he never announces another one of our games!!!

lol , hell there is a better chance of me becoming the Pope tomorrow then Dicky not broadcasting another KU game lol. - -ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• @BeddieKU23

Self is already hearing a loud message from the student body and administration: CLEAN UP BASKETBALL!

But I will hand it to Self and he has always been a players’ coach and he will stand up for Silvio if he believes Silvio will reform. JMO

• @Crimsonorblue22

And then there is Big Dave.

I feel like his saving grace was the lack of video footage on his feet during the fight. It sure looked like he may have got in some kicks, though it is also possible he was shuffling because there was a Wildcat at his feet. Who knows…

I do know that if a camera was down low and showed Big Dave kicking, his suspension would have been much higher, as well it should.

• Sorry, but I have to love this statement from him on Silvio he said : I can be mad at him ( Silvio ) or say things to him in a private setting that the media won’t be privy to , BUT if my Son or Daughter made a bad emotional decision in the heat of the moment - -I don’t stop loving them. He’s ours and I’m proud that he is.

Well Said coach. - - -ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• @dylans

I probably shouldn’t have… but I chuckled on your image. It might as well be us exploiting the use of the chair though I know we will be seeing it all over Kittyland when we face them in Manhattan.

I’ve already heard some things about that…

Fans have been planning how to show the chair and they can’t bring in chairs. So they want to do big posters of chairs. From what I gather, KSU administration isn’t too hip on any additional buildup of the brawl so they will ban free speech involving chairs for the game.

Anyone else have inside info from Kittyland?

• We can all wear casts

• @Crimsonorblue22 that will imply that we lost the fight and are broken. We are anything but.

• @drgnslayr Don’t get me wrong - I HATE the incident that happened Tuesday. In fact, I saw the first few seconds (to process what was going on) and then I turned the channel.

But Kansas being told to CLEAN UP BASKETBALL !! ?? I don’t think there’s anything to clean up. It’s not like we’re a prison league team that brawls with everybody we play and spits on their cheerleaders. It was an isolated incident that really should have been between one KU player and one KSU player and it got out of hand.

I don’t think we need to clean up basketball. Just inform these young men that if they want to brawl, they’ll pay the price.

Just my opinion.

• @drgnslayr

I’m sure Self will stand by his players. However the AD, Board of Regents etc probably dont feel as much of a commitment when the product (KU) has yet again been run through the media mill. It doesnt look good.

• @jayballer73 Hard to dislike a coach who thinks and talks like this. Dude always says the right thing even if he may sometimes say too much.

• What I’m hearing from the student body after hearing about Case, is f u KSU!

• dylans said:

First, when the clock is running out in a blowout, let the clock run out. Don’t try for a steal. It is unnecessary. And, while the officials did a great job overall in dealing with the fight and did not make a mistake in this, I would consider calling a foul on the defender going for the steal. The offensive team was clearly trying to run out the clock. If you call the foul, you avoid a potential bad situation and discourage the same thing in the future.

This should be a point of emphasis for officials going forward.

• @bskeet Don’t think we should change the rules for the last few seconds of games only in blowouts. What qualifies as a blow out? How many seconds can a team “dribble out the clock”? If we change the end of games we need to go to the Elam ending. Completely takes stuff like this off the table. Every possession matters until the game is over. Every game has a game winning shot. Fouling to stop the clock becomes useless.

• @benshawks08 To be clear, it is not a rule change. A point of emphasis is an effort to enforce an existing rule to encourage behavior changes in the game.

(They’ve done this for flops, moving screens, etc. in the past)

I think it would be wise for the officials to watch closely. On replay, it’s not clear that the steal was clean.

• @bskeet If your saying call the game the same from start to finish I agree on that. But I don’t think blowouts and dribbling out the clock should have anything special or different from regular play. But I’m honestly not that upset about the steal or the block. Clock is running, game on. Does it make the KState player look foolish, sure but that’s for him to deal with.

• Decent coaches don’t let their players do it. Same as band directors etc!

• Self nailed it today.

• @BShark that’s my coach!😎❤💙

• BShark said:

Self nailed it today.

Yes he did

• Where’s Weber? I get that KU is a national brand and actually has to address issues, but K-State is acting just like what they are–a cling-on, always just hanging around in KU’s shadow. Man up, Weber. Your players got suspensions.

• @DanR man? Up lol How 'bout Coach up and get off the dang court! Guarantee our safety at your place! Maybe we should run up the score just to be safe.

• You all know me… and some of you know where I’m going now…

What will this do for our chip? Is it back?