Brent Dearmon appreciation thread

• Here we are headed into November and we are still not only talking about KU football but in a positive manor. How about Brent Dearmon? He’s only 3 weeks (2 games) into debut offensive coordinating job at not only a D1 school but a power 5 school. Man I’m trying to contain my excitement for what this team could be in a a year or two. First time since 2009 since KU has had that offensive output in back to back games. Good enough to rank 3rd in all of FBS in that time frame. I really hope this guy loves Lawrence as much as we enjoy having him because if he can keep this thing going, he could very easily be the head coach in waiting a few years down the line. Thank you coach, you made Kansas football worth watching again.

• Stat of the day. We haven’t scored 35+ in two league games in 10 years. Dearmon did it twice in his first two games.

• @FarmerJayhawk that seems good. Can’t wait to see what he dials up for the rest of the year. If he can continue this it should pay huge dividends on the recruiting trail.

• Well this might help get even a little more fired up for Saturday. - -No reason why we shouldn’t be able to move the ball unless we just miss the mojo boat.

K-State on defense is giving up 6.39 yards per play - -that’s figures out to 110th in the Nation

Put it in perspective - - Texas averages giving up 6.42 per play - -which averages out to 112th in the Nation.

Now to water this down a little - - - if you have ever watched K-State they like to go on those LONG boring drives eating the clock. - -We have just got to make key plays - - we have got to get off the field on 3rd down situations.

It’s a must to have a spy on Thompson - -they love that little QB sprint draw - -and then the Grad transfer - -on almost like a jet sweep getting on the edge - -two VERY BIG plays,

They grind the clock and limit opposition possessions - - - D has gotta stand up act like you got a pair – D-Line has got to get penetration , can’t let Thompson stand back and eat his packed lunch and pick you apart - - - got to get pressure - - TFL’S - - lets do this – ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• @jayballer73 it will be an interesting matchup. KSU really wants to run the football and we have struggled to stop it. We must force Thompson into throwing situations. Yes we will need to spy him all game long, which worries me because we have struggled versus running QBs for 30 years. Going back and watching the Texas tape, seeing how Sam killed us on 3rd and long with his feet will hopefully get us a better idea of hope to contain. We should be able to move the ball as Baylor and OU both put up big numbers on this KSU Defense, OU just had zero help defensively. Keys for me are winning 3rd down on both sides of the ball, which we did against Tech. Winning the turnover battle is a must and fixing the field goal protection. Every team left on our schedule is licking their chops on special teams because they have a chance at a big play. I think if we can hold them to 30 points are less we have a fair chance at a win.

• kjayhawks said:

@jayballer73 it will be an interesting matchup. KSU really wants to run the football and we have struggled to stop it. We must force Thompson into throwing situations. Yes we will need to spy him all game long, which worries me because we have struggled versus running QBs for 30 years. Going back and watching the Texas tape, seeing how Sam killed us on 3rd and long with his feet will hopefully get us a better idea of hope to contain. We should be able to move the ball as Baylor and OU both put up big numbers on this KSU Defense, OU just had zero help defensively. Keys for me are winning 3rd down on both sides of the ball, which we did against Tech. Winning the turnover battle is a must and fixing the field goal protection. Every team left on our schedule is licking their chops on special teams because they have a chance at a big play. I think if we can hold them to 30 points are less we have a fair chance at a win.

agree on everything you said. - -like you said for me is the 3rd down - it is a MUST to be able to get off the filed - -not letting them convert time after time after time. - - Our run defense has really lacked this year. - -Skyler can just kill us if we allow him to get out - -and we can just not ignore the grad transfer either - - pretty good back he has shown.

I was pretty close last week on the score – off 3 points for each side - - I had 34-31 - - this week - - -sa much as I hate to say - -I hope I’m dead wrong but just kind of feel these fools ( K-State will find a way ) - -like 41-34 - -might be a little high - -mercy hope I’m wrong - -our run defense just scares me

• K-State grinds clock to disguise the fact that they don’t have a lot of athleticism at WR or on defense. If they can run the ball, they can cover for those weaknesses.

Luckily, though, our advantage is that our WR group is very athletic. If they have to load the box to compete against our running game, we can match up very favorably on the outside, very similar to what we did against Texas Tech. We may not have many sustained drives, but hitting three or four big plays could make up for that.

• @jayballer73 hard to predict a KU victory, with how the series has gone here recently. Tho I thought we’d get spanked last season and really had a couple of bogus holding calls help KSU. That worries in the sense they will be ready this time and they have a ton of momentum.

• We have to keep them behind the chains. One of my major concerns is they torched OU by getting backs to the edge. We haven’t been particularly good about sprinting to the football and making the tackle on the perimeter. If we can contain their running game (I think two of their backs are banged up) and make Thompson throw it from the pocket we’ve got a good shot.

On offense, have to be able to run and throw. I wouldn’t mind taking a few shots early if we get a favorable matchup. We really need to avoid the slow starts we’ve had pretty consistently to keep the crowd in it and avoid KSU shortening the game. We need to hit some explosive plays to loosen up the box for Pooka. He’s not going to be great running into a wall every down. Their DL is the strength of their defense so we won’t have much of a chance if we keep running into a stacked box.

• Man I wish I could go!! I honestly think this could be the biggest crowd in a decade. I’d be shocked if less than 45,000 folks showed up.

• kjayhawks said:

Man I wish I could go!! I honestly think this could be the biggest crowd in a decade. I’d be shocked if less than 45,000 folks showed up.

Same! I’m going to have bad FOMO Saturday afternoon. I’m really hoping at least 3/4 of those folks are KU fans. I HATE seeing a bunch of purple at our place.

• @FarmerJayhawk we have been getting right around 32,000 so far so I bet a few more hawks show up and probably about 8,000- 10,000 Mildcats.

• The weather is supposed to be fairly nice as well with highs in the low 50s and sunny.

• FarmerJayhawk said:

We have to keep them behind the chains. One of my major concerns is they torched OU by getting backs to the edge. We haven’t been particularly good about sprinting to the football and making the tackle on the perimeter. If we can contain their running game (I think two of their backs are banged up) and make Thompson throw it from the pocket we’ve got a good shot.

On offense, have to be able to run and throw. I wouldn’t mind taking a few shots early if we get a favorable matchup. We really need to avoid the slow starts we’ve had pretty consistently to keep the crowd in it and avoid KSU shortening the game. We need to hit some explosive plays to loosen up the box for Pooka. He’s not going to be great running into a wall every down. Their DL is the strength of their defense so we won’t have much of a chance if we keep running into a stacked box.

Ya, even when we have made penetration - -we haven’t finished, some poor tackling , arm tackles and not wrapping up – love the way how aggressive a couple of the guys hit - - Mike Lee - - Potter already - -but just HAVE to finish. - -K-State does love to get to the edge , seems like pretty decent speed , or getting blockers out in front.

Again a HUGE thing is keeping a spy on Thompson - -really frustrating for me to see him keep running this - -wondering why the hell people don’t seem to stop that - -he can kill ya for sure with that , and seems to love running that.

One thing I’ve noticed with Pooka lately seems like he spends to much time dancing around in the back field - -seems like he is making a habit of reversing direction - -other teams are catching onto that and staying home - -getting thrown for bigger losses. - Think he just needs to take the chance hit it and go - -you get met at the line - -then you get met at the line - -but you dance around you lose key yardage in important yard and down - can really put you behind - -down and yardage. - -The O-Line HAS GOT TO do better of holding the block and open the hole

• kjayhawks said:

Man I wish I could go!! I honestly think this could be the biggest crowd in a decade. I’d be shocked if less than 45,000 folks showed up.

they have been talking on the local sports - that getting close to a sellout. - -Doesn’t necessarily mean that’s a good thing for the home crowd - -we need to get those tickets bought

• @jayballer73 The last couple of times they’ve been in Lawrence, there was definitely most State fans than KU fans but with how much more full it’s been on the average game especially the student section, I’d be shocked if it isn’t at least 65% KU.

• @jayballer73 Pooka does a little too much dancing and reversing of field at times for sure but he is just trying to find some daylight. On one play Saturday he broke 3 tackles and reversed field to get back to the line of scrimmage. I just looked at our attendance numbers from 2017 and KSU game was our most attended game by a fair amount with just under 37,000 fans. Which was considerably more than any game last season as well.

• The Women’s soccer team had the 1941 “angry” Jayhawk at mid field out at rock chalk park for the KSU game. I hope we can do the same for Saturday. Get the white helmet with them on there as well! Man I’m ready for Saturday, I just hope I’m not setting myself up for a huge let down.

• kjayhawks said:

@jayballer73 Pooka does a little too much dancing and reversing of field at times for sure but he is just trying to find some daylight. On one play Saturday he broke 3 tackles and reversed field to get back to the line of scrimmage. I just looked at our attendance numbers from 2017 and KSU game was our most attended game by a fair amount with just under 37,000 fans. Which was considerably more than any game last season as well.

There are still some plays where the line just doesn’t sustain anything. If Pooka were running behind Alabama’s line, he would have about 1500 yards this season.

Once we get more consistent blocking, things will start to really change. But that takes time.

• @justanotherfan No question, he probably ends up with over 1,000 again this season. I could average 4.0 yards a carry behind Bamas line lol.