Super Bowl I rematch (?)

• I’ve gotta laugh when I hear the network hype for the Chiefs-Packers game as a “rematch of Super Bowl I.” (And not just because I’m so damn old that I remember the game!)

First off, that game wasn’t even called The Super Bowl, but the awkwardly-titled “AFL-NFL World Championship Game.”

It wasn’t anywhere near a sellout. The game only drew a little over 60,000 fans to the cavernous 90,000-plus L.A. Coliseum.

The halftime show was bereft of any pop, rock, R&B, country or rap stars, but instead featured the Grambling State and Arizona marching bands, and rotund New Orleans jazz trumpeter Al Hirt (who had no wardrobe malfunctions, thank God).

The Packers were the better team by far that day, but I suffered one final indignity many years later…I found myself working part-time for a company owned by ex-Green Bay defensive end Willie Davis, who helped shut down the Chiefs offense. To make things worse, a year later he sold our company to another outfit without giving any of us advance notice, and we found ourselves out of a job.

Things worked out okay for me, but it made me even more of a Packer-hater than before.

Oh well…GO CHIEFS !!!

• Yeah, the super bowl rematch is dumb. I am an old fart as well, I was watching the game with my dad and uncles. I was eight years old and i LOVED the Packers. I remember getting thrown out in the snow when the Chiefs lost. Anyway, I got over it and and am now a full blown Chiefs fan.

• @nuleafjhawk nice relatives!

• @Crimsonorblue22 yeah, I’ll say we’re "competitive "

• I’m not going to come down too hard on the defense this time. They were gassed after that third quarter. The injuries didn’t help either.
    A lot better effort than I expected.

• nuleafjhawk said:

Yeah, the super bowl rematch is dumb. I am an old fart as well, I was watching the game with my dad and uncles. I was eight years old and i LOVED the Packers. I remember getting thrown out in the snow when the Chiefs lost. Anyway, I got over it and and am now a full blown Chiefs fan.

I’m sorry lol

• Surprised it was this close with Matt Moore. Andy is a great coach.

• McCoy should be cut or traded at this point. His continued holding of the ball with one hand away from his body is insanely stupid. He has had fumble issues his whole career because of it. They traded Hyde who appears to be much better. That fumble was the difference coupled with being to scared to run press coverage on a 3rd and 5. Doesn’t seem to smart to line up 8 yards off the ball when they need 5. That was pitch and catch for Rodgers. I honestly wonder if Sorenson has pictures of Hunt with someone else’s wife because he’s never been an NFL caliber player nor will he ever be. Matt Moore played fairly well and the game was closer than expected because of it. Everyone but the Chargers lost again today so it really didnt hurt too much.

• @kjayhawks The Sorenson comment made me chuckle. I saw Thornhill come up and drill a guy in the legs two yards short of the marker. Sorenson would have tried tackle high and been drug for the first down. He is just horrible.

But I don’t think Hyde is “much better” than McCoy. I really do think McCoy is better and more versatile, such as catching the ball out of the backfield. The Texans use Duke Johnson for that. And I don’t think McCoy should be cut or traded – yet. But to your point. Reid should DEMAND that he carry the ball high and tight or he is done. Period. The first thing my younger son and I talked about when we saw McCoy carry the ball was how loose he was, swinging it around. You just can’t have that. That changed the game last night. I’d be fine just going with the Williams boys and Thompson to be honest.