Texas and the Clock

• KU is turning in a clock issue that happened in the last minute of the Texas game where the clock may have started late on the final drive on a couple of plays.

Article on the Wichita Eagle site.

In looking at the replay, it doesn’t appear to me that the clock operator did anything over the top. Maybe a difference of one or two seconds, but its hard to see when the officials signaled for the clock to start again because of the camera angles.

However, I will criticize the officials, who appeared to be taking their time getting the ball spotted and chains moved, which gave Texas more time to get organized between plays. That may not have been a factor, but it definitely did not make Texas rush. I would not have an issue if that’s how the officials spotted the ball when the clock was running, but you have to be consistent during that last drive. If you walk when the clock is paused to reset the chains, you walk when the clock is running.

• My dad lives just west of Austin and he said the media (and fans) are losing their minds. They’re calling for Hermans’ head (or at least his job) for letting “a team like KU” almost beat them at home.(Gasp!) I hope a lot of fans and media around the Big 12 feel this way in the very near future.

• @justanotherfan the refs definitely helped Texas on that last drive and they really shouldn’t of had to with 2 timeouts. Between clear lolly gagging and I’d say have the clock not start on time on a couple of plays and once the ball was set on a first down gave them around 9 seconds. Which would’ve made it at least a 7 yard deeper kick. Now they probably win with their all American kicker but it disappointing because they gave Texas games in Lawrence in 04 and 12. The B12 needs Texas and OU good to make the most money.

• Just heard – that Texas Tech had opened up as a 8 1/2 point favorite against us - - Now has dropped all the way down to a 3 –

Talking about how Vegas and people are already taking notice of the New OC - - HOT ONE - - look for the upset here - -it’s all set up - - ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• kjayhawks said:

Between clear lolly gagging and I’d say have the clock not start on time on a couple of plays and once the ball was set on a first down gave them around 9 seconds. Which would’ve made it at least a 7 yard deeper kick.

Like I say, they were clearly walking on plays where the clock was stopped. That’s only fine if they were also walking when the clock was running. As long as they were consistent, they are fine.

I used to officiate and we would always discuss whether we were going to run to spot the ball or not in the last five minutes of the game. We made that decision beforehand so that we could stay consistent when the ball was inbounds - we always walked on out of bounds plays or incomplete passes because the clock didn’t start again until the snap, so it gave us a chance to catch our breath.