2021 Recruiting

• This video might give you a glimpse of what he could do at KU. Against high level competition as well.

Some steals that are Chalmers/Garrett esque’, the ability to get in the lane and finish or find an open man. He looks like a high level defender now. He had a steal and dunk on one sequence that was absolutely filthy. Hard to imagine this kid isn’t a Top 50ish prospect

• @BeddieKU23 The staff looks for that, it’s something they want in a PG.

• Is he (Cuffe Jr.) a good ball-handler? He didn’t help much to break pressure in that video and his handle looked a little shaky. Obviously ultra-athletic and a good defender, but his skillset almost seems more like a wing than a guard.

• @BeddieKU23 said in 2021 Recruiting:

This video might give you a glimpse of what he could do at KU. Against high level competition as well.

Some steals that are Chalmers/Garrett esque’, the ability to get in the lane and finish or find an open man. He looks like a high level defender now. He had a steal and dunk on one sequence that was absolutely filthy. Hard to imagine this kid isn’t a Top 50ish prospect

thanks for that ya, the one just picked him clean nice hops. - tell you also that Kyle collier look pretty dam decent to me also. - -seems like I’ve heard of him too can’t remember where he was going could be wrong

• @KirkIsMyHinrich said in 2021 Recruiting:

Is he (Cuffe Jr.) a good ball-handler? He didn’t help much to break pressure in that video and his handle looked a little shaky. Obviously ultra-athletic and a good defender, but his skillset almost seems more like a wing than a guard.

He probably has a bit to go in that regard. In listening to some of his interviews he knows his future in pro basketball is at the PG spot due to his size so he has been working on it.

One comparison I saw is EJ and I don’t think that’s too far off. Ideally you would want him to develop as a PG better, and obviously stay healthy.

@jayballer67 Noah Collier is at Pittsburgh this year. Not much of a factor yet.

• I don’t get as much info as I used to, but lock this one in.

• Bossi posted a breakdown, it’s VIP. The gist is he needs to improve skill wise.

• @FarmerJayhawk said in 2021 Recruiting:

I don’t get as much info as I used to, but lock this one in.

ok, got a question Farmer. - -so if Cuffe commits for 2021, that gives us Curry, Clemence , KJ And Cuffe - -would end up being nice class. - -However wouldn’t we be over the limit ? - someone getting squeezed out ? ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• @jayballer67 said in 2021 Recruiting:

@FarmerJayhawk said in 2021 Recruiting:

ok, got a question Farmer. - -so if Cuffe commits for 2021, that gives us Curry, Clemence , KJ And Cuffe - -would end up being nice class. - -However wouldn’t we be over the limit ? - someone getting squeezed out ? ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

Let me try to do the math…

In: Curry, Clemence, Cuffe, Adams Out (or won’t count against the cap of 13): Silvio, Marcus, Mitch

So I think we’re 1 over with Cuffe? With the likelihood of immediate eligibility for transfers, someone will leave. I don’t see anyone going pro early off this team.

@jayballer67 said in 2021 Recruiting:

@FarmerJayhawk said in 2021 Recruiting:

Let me try to do the math…

In: Curry, Clemence, Cuffe, Adams Out (or won’t count against the cap of 13): Silvio, Marcus, Mitch

So I think we’re 1 over with Cuffe? With the likelihood of immediate eligibility for transfers, someone will leave. I don’t see anyone going pro early off this team.

ya thought we would be. I’m guessing and or hearing a little bit that maybe - - -Tristan or maybe Gethro /jossell maybe ya think ? I think might be Gethro

• @BShark

Gonzaga starting to recruit at the highest level. Suggs is now the gateway recruit

• The Wolverine meme but Wolverine is Calipari and in the picture is Kenny Payne.

• Kentucky is in trouble, and Gonzaga is here to stay no doubt, loading up on recruits now.

• Recent Rivals update. KJ Adams moved up 11 spots to #74. Clemence stayed at #35.

Jonas Aidoo, 7 footer who KU was heavily involved with before he choose Marquette rose 70 spots to #33. Rivals said its more about potential with him but they like him.

• Sucks that Steve Prohm signed Tyrese Hunter. Kid’s moved up in the ranks all the way to #36. 6’1 athletic point guard. Pretty much the biggest need for KU…

• @BeddieKU23 Yeah but it’s Prohm so they still won’t win shit.

• Love Bill Self but we needed a good recruiting class this year and they did not deliver. Specifically they should have landed a high end point guard with plenty of minutes to offer and just wiffed completely. We are KU on a year were we need to infuse talent the class coming in next year is unacceptable.

• @hawk4life can’t bid enough

• @BShark your not wrong

• @hawk4life the problem is I’m not sure what they can do. They do want to get a guard but lost their top target to UK and Sallis will end up at a Nike school.

Gotta get someone…

• Transfer

Transfer

They need to find a legit PG and wing that can shoot wouldn’t hurt either . PG needs to be priority 1, 2, and 3.

• @Woodrow

Definitely need guards. Guards that can shoot. We have wings that can shoot but not guards. Thompson will improve tremendously over time. Unfortunate year he’s having

• They really do almost need to go the transfer route and find someone who can play day one vs a freshman.

We just need to get to the Spring. Coaching carousel will shake out some guys.

• @Kcmatt7

The free year of eligibility figures to make the transfer market extremely competitive this spring.

I wonder if Self would target a 5 year type guy or a guy with multiple years of eligibilty left.

Here’s some early options

Jalen Moore Jr- Oakland- 18ppg, 8 ast

Kendric Davis Jr- SMU- 19ppg, 7 ast (former TCU player)

Grant Sherfield Soph- Nevada- 18ppg, 5 ast (former KU target)

• @BeddieKU23 Not really in the position to be too choosy I suppose… If you can find a guy who will be here for 2-3 years great. But I’d be cool with a grad transfer.

• @Kcmatt7

Grad Transfer/multi year guy doesn’t matter to me either. I simply ran to the ESPN stats and found these 3 guys scoring and assisting at a high rate with more then 1 year left. 2 of the 3 have familiarity with Self. Davis was a guy I thought would be pretty good as he got older. I also seem to remember him playing well against KU as a freshman. Sherfield has thrived getting away from Wichita St. and the staff recruited him for a while.

I’ll say it now, I’ll be deeply disappointed if we don’t get a guard for next year that can impact the team

• @Kcmatt7 right. Look at what McClung is doing at Tech.

• Kennedy Chandler being in Nike’s pocket sucks. Perfect guard for Self, plays with Clemence. Difference maker if he’s coming here next year

Kennedy Chandler being in Nike’s pocket sucks. Perfect guard for Self, plays with Clemence. Difference maker if he’s coming here next year

He’s so good. Being Adidas blows.

• @BShark

It sucks in so many ways. The apparel sucks, they do not have pull in the game anymore after what’s happened. Whatever KU got paid, good for them but the impact of staying with them is felt in recruiting

• Maybe self can get 13 new guys. What he’s got so far ain’t gonna cut it

Maybe self can get 13 new guys. What he’s got so far ain’t gonna cut it

Guys will get better but yeah it’s frustrating. I decided not to watch the 2nd half.

• @BShark said in 2021 Recruiting:

@BeddieKU23 said in 2021 Recruiting:

Maybe self can get 13 new guys. What he’s got so far ain’t gonna cut it

Guys will get better but yeah it’s frustrating. I decided not to watch the 2nd half.

Good thing you did. Dicky V brought up the adidas thing a few times including Zion. What a punk.

• @BShark

Wilson Braun Dave. Good bench guys

• @rockchalkwyo said in 2021 Recruiting:

Good thing you did. Dicky V brought up the adidas thing a few times including Zion. What a punk.

DV also pulled out his Tampa Bay football gear at the very end of the broadcast as well. Totally cringe-worthy.

• @BShark said in 2021 Recruiting:

@BeddieKU23 said in 2021 Recruiting:

Kennedy Chandler being in Nike’s pocket sucks. Perfect guard for Self, plays with Clemence. Difference maker if he’s coming here next year

He’s so good. Being Adidas blows.

I agree. But how could we dump Adidas with everything that is going on while still holding to some semblance that we didn’t know?

• Hmm , Golly just kind of Curious , wonder if we at least put out some feelers on this kid. - -We still in need of that true PG for 2021 possibly ? - -Saw this made me wonder , kid right here in our own backyard. 6’1 PG out of Blue Valley NW , Alston Mason

Read an article on Mason from Eric Bossi he had this to say about Mason : A kid who commanded the offense and led the team to a blowout win over Springfield MO Greenfield lab featuring a 5 * forgot to write THAT kids name - -anyways Mason hitting SEVERAL deep 3’s scored 32 points and had 6 assists , wooza a kid playing point that can score the ball - -this is what we currently ar having issues with - -no PG that is a scoring threat this kid can do that.

Bossi says Mason has a clever change of pace , & Skill off the Bounce . Mason played for Mokan Elitte in Summer and Bossi says Mason showed MAJOR improvement as a scorer off the dribble and continues to improve as a scorer around the rim he says Bossi also says that Mason also creates easy points by making his way to the free throw line with Regularity.

Schools that are currently involved as he is picking up a lot of offers lately but right now are : Neb , Southern Ill , UMKIC , Clemson , Colorado , Colorado St , KSU , Loyola & Missouri State.

You would think and from reading this from Bossi after Bossi watching him I think it was this past weekend you would think his ranking is gonna jump right now just listed as a 3 * and like 263 ranked player. - - This could be one of those hidden gems , that undiscovered Diamond like a Mason and or Graham possible, you would think Coach would of at least scoped this kid out – -right here in our back yard right under our noses - -hope they are least put out some feelers might be a big mistake not to - -what we got to lose ?

• @jayballer67

I mean he can shoot but physically he’s a string bean that needs at least a year in someone’s strength program. Just don’t see how he can help us

• Four-star guard Brandin Podziemski will cut his list in late February. Hoping KU makes the cut. Shooting over 40% from 3 averaging 35 a game.

• @BeddieKU23 thanks for the update. I was going to ask a few days ago how the recruitment was going for him and how he was doing this year.

I always appreciate the information you and others give

• @rockchalkwyo

No problemo, this one doesn’t seem in a hurry to decide which actually could be a benefit if some spots shake open after the season. He’s a shooter which we desperately are in need of

Four-star guard Brandin Podziemski will cut his list in late February. Hoping KU makes the cut. Shooting over 40% from 3 averaging 35 a game.

gonna be battling some other big boys , see Kentucky offered now too we could use a SG nice size 6’5 right ? nice hi-lights pretty decent

• @BeddieKU23 I like him.

• Jaylen Blakes, the top unsigned PG in the 21 class, teammate of Kyle Cuffe Jr (KU 22 commit) has Texas, DePaul, Illinois, VCU recruiting him. #101 ranked prospect has zero interest from KU… When you watch Cuffe film this kid strikes you as a high major kid as well. SMH

• Here’s an interview from Zach Clemence. It’s 8 plus months old and before he committed. I still got a few things out of it. Such as I had no clue he was interested in ball overseas and he doesn’t want to be a traditional big. Bill only uses traditional bigs. It’ll be interesting to see how Bill uses him.

PS sorry if this has already been posted

• @rockchalkwyo Because he isn’t a traditional big, nor are the other guys that are coming next year, though they can be bullies. Even Muscadin isn’t a traditional big. If Dave is - and he is - a traditional big, then I say goodbye and good riddance from now on to traditionalism.

• Looks like KU is somewhat involved with Jackie Johnson still. Still no offer but who knows we need guards plural.

• @BShark

sigh*