David Glass looking to sale

• Read the article - -David Glass looking to sale the Royals. - -Sounds like a done deal - -selling for over a Billion.

Looks like it’s gonna be John Sherman the current minority own of the Cleveland Indians - -said he would dissolve his ownership in the Indians to take over the Royals.

There you have it Royal fans - - -that’s the rest of the story - This is Paul Harvey - - Good Day lol. - -ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• Is this a good thing? If the guy wants to spend money instead of stockpiling talent to rebuild, he’s going to have to be in a city where this is an affordable strategy…

• I guess the KC tv market is #32, there aren’t many bigger markets that don’t have a team: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_television_stations_in_North_America_by_media_market

• approxinfinity said:

I guess the KC tv market is #32, there aren’t many bigger markets that don’t have a team: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_television_stations_in_North_America_by_media_market

KC is a good market with a loyal fanbase. I don’t see it leaving. Royals lease is until 2031. That would be the earliest I’d expect to see them leave.

I think it’s more likely that you see the Royals move to downtown or the Legends area than actually change cities when the lease is up.

As far as spending to be competitive, I think we just need an owner willing to be at the forefront of analytics in all aspects of the game. The Rays, since '08, have a winning record. The A’s have been doing well on nothing payrolls for 19 years.

This was fantastic news. I’m still in shock tbh. I thought Glass would pass this down in his family.

• I do think you could see a new trend though, where the teams have 2-3 host cities. Depends on what happens with the Rays.

I’d be interested to see what TV money the Royals could get if they played 1/2 of their games in KC, 1/4 in OKC and 1/4 in Memphis/Nashville/Little Rock.

Seems like that is the way of the future for small market teams.

• @Kcmatt7 A possibility…but I’d doubt the AAA teams would be comfortable with it (and if they didn’t have AAA already, I would doubt the market would be large enough to support the Royals for even a partial schedule).

• ICThawk said:

@Kcmatt7 A possibility…but I’d doubt the AAA teams would be comfortable with it (and if they didn’t have AAA already, I would doubt the market would be large enough to support the Royals for even a partial schedule).

I think it would be more up to whoever owns the stadium. And my guess is they’d love to see the Royals play while the minor league club is out of town. That’s just extra revenue.

Memphis, OKC and Little Rock are all good enough TV markets that if you could add them in would generate revenue.

It’s more about TV dollars than anything else.

• They could call them the Kansas City Omaha Kings.

• Rotating home dates would be a nightmare logistically. You could end up with a situation where you would go literally a month or two without having games in a certain “home” base. It would be more expensive in the long run because you would need two or three sets of staffing infrastructure instead of just one.

On top of that, I doubt many players would want to do that. Most at least have apartments in their “home” city, even if they don’t live there year round. If you had two or three “home” cities, You’re basically living in hotels through the entire season.

• justanotherfan said:

Rotating home dates would be a nightmare logistically. You could end up with a situation where you would go literally a month or two without having games in a certain “home” base. It would be more expensive in the long run because you would need two or three sets of staffing infrastructure instead of just one.

On top of that, I doubt many players would want to do that. Most at least have apartments in their “home” city, even if they don’t live there year round. If you had two or three “home” cities, You’re basically living in hotels through the entire season.

Well most parks are actually ran by 3rd party vendors. So I don’t see that as an issue. Especially if you did it in places that already had the infrastructure in place. Security and concessions are for sure contracted out.

The issue is definitely the Player’s Association being okay with it. I think they would be if it meant significantly more revenue for small market teams. It would mean higher contracts across the board.

Even if it was somewhat more expensive to run, I’d imagine the additional attendance, merchandise sales and TV revenue would far exceed any additional costs.

• It’s an interesting idea, but if my team splits dates and is “home” less than 80% of the normal home games I’d loss allegiance. However, if it meant as team I formerly didn’t care about was suddenly playing close by, I’d become a part time fan.