2019 Transfer List

• IDK about transfers. They had better be a target like Malik and not a desperation grab like Charlie.

• dylans said:

IDK about transfers. They had better be a target like Malik and not a desperation grab like Charlie.

It’s hit of miss. But look at all the transfers left in the Sweet 16 that are making big impacts

Brandon Clarke started his career at San Jose St and is a Top 2 player at Gonzaga and will be drafted in the 1st round in June.

Texas Tech’s 3-6 leading scorers are transfers

Michigan’s 3rd leading scorer Charles Matthews transferred from Kentucky.

Braxton Key plays a role on Virginia’s team.

Paul White has been an intergral part of Oregon’s tournament success so far coming from Georgetown.

Bigby-Williams for LSU

Houston has 2 transfers in their rotation.

Reid Travis at Kentucky

Cameron Johnson of UNC is their leading scorer

• BeddieKU23 said:

dylans said:

IDK about transfers. They had better be a target like Malik and not a desperation grab like Charlie.

It’s hit of miss. But look at all the transfers left in the Sweet 16 that are making big impacts

Brandon Clarke started his career at San Jose St and is a Top 2 player at Gonzaga and will be drafted in the 1st round in June.

Paul White has been an intergral part of Oregon’s tournament success so far coming from Georgetown.

Bigby-Williams for LSU

Reid Travis at Kentucky

This.

You have to be involved in the transfer market now. There is too much talent to ignore. People are scared of by Charlie, but they really shouldn’t be. Two years in a row we have had a transfer be one of our better players. And we had a very positive experience with Black.

Every year there are quality guys, it is just picking and landing the right ones.

I don’t think it helps the way we recruit though. We are always recruiting guys deep into April when all of this shakes out, so some transfers are scared to come here.

• Kcmatt7 said:

BeddieKU23 said:

dylans said:

Bigby-Williams for LSU

Reid Travis at Kentucky

This.

You have to be involved in the transfer market now. There is too much talent to ignore. People are scared of by Charlie, but they really shouldn’t be. Two years in a row we have had a transfer be one of our better players. And we had a very positive experience with Black.

Every year there are quality guys, it is just picking and landing the right ones.

I don’t think it helps the way we recruit though. We are always recruiting guys deep into April when all of this shakes out, so some transfers are scared to come here.

Cunliffe didn’t work out too well either for recency.

Some success stories are Withey, Black, Lawson, Newman. Self has usually targeted transfers from Power 5 or bigger named schools.

I hope we take one grad transfer at least as well as a sit-out transfer. Not sure we’ll convince enough HS talent to come here at this point with the current situations going on. There’s a real chance only 5 Letterman return as it is. Best case reality type scenario seems to be around 8 + the two signee’s. I seem to repeat this every year but Self should sign as many 2019/20 eligible players as he can find. After that get 1 sit-out with experience to mold. One year was enough of having a young team. Self needs to get old no matter how

• I agree that you have to play in the transfer market. As @BeddieKU23 said there are a lot of teams in the S16 that have transfers and would not be there without them. It is just the way the college game has gone. Now I do think Self got a little over zealous on that here in the last couple of years, but hopefully he lands some high level kids in the next month or so and doesn’t have to take on a bunch more.

As far as Moore goes I think the staff just absolutely whiffed on him. They thought he was going to be a legit rotation guy averaging 10ppg. He flopped. It happens.

If Self and his staff are not scouring every avenue possible to find a shooter then they are not doing their job. They absolutely have to find a grad transfer like Hoover from Wofford that can shoot.

• Recruiting of any sort is hit and miss, high school or transfers. Obviously some 5* HS kids didn’t pan out either. But yeah, you have to play in that market now since so many talented guys transfer. You just have to do your homework and make the best judgment you can about what kind of player and person he is.

• BeddieKU23 said:

Kcmatt7 said:

BeddieKU23 said:

dylans said:

Bigby-Williams for LSU

Reid Travis at Kentucky

This.

Cunliffe didn’t work out too well either for recency.

Some success stories are Withey, Black, Lawson, Newman. Self has usually targeted transfers from Power 5 or bigger named schools.

I hope we take one grad transfer at least as well as a sit-out transfer. Not sure we’ll convince enough HS talent to come here at this point with the current situations going on. There’s a real chance only 5 Letterman return as it is. Best case reality type scenario seems to be around 8 + the two signee’s. I seem to repeat this every year but Self should sign as many 2019/20 eligible players as he can find. After that get 1 sit-out with experience to mold. One year was enough of having a young team. Self needs to get old no matter how

I can’t believe I forgot Withey. So our last two FFs, we had a transfer play a huge role. Actually, that FF team with Withey also had Wesley and Young as well. 3 transfers that year.

• lowa state 6-foot-9 sophomore bigman cam lard is transferring, source told @stadium

• @Kcmatt7

Forgot about Kevin Young

• JAYHAWKFAN214 said:

lowa state 6-foot-9 sophomore bigman cam lard is transferring, source told @stadium

He would probably be blocked in going to KU. but he is the kind of guy we need. Long, athletic, and can protect the rim.

• I wonder if Kira Lewis would be interested? He may bolt after Avery got canned. KU was on him as a possible 2019 guy.

• FarmerJayhawk said:

I wonder if Kira Lewis would be interested? He may bolt after Avery got canned. KU was on him as a possible 2019 guy.

Would take in a heart beat.

• @Woodrow Are you saying we have to play in the transfer market generally or specifically now to fill an obvious hole? The latter may be be necessary given where we are, but not sure I agree with the former as general proposition. Has UNC relied on transfers? Seems that Roy has done a pretty good job of keeping guys around for at least 2-3, if not 4 years - not relying on transfers and in many years, not very many of the top recruits out of HS.

• @DCHawker His leading scorer this year is a transfer.

• @Kcmatt7 Ha - I don’t want facts to get in the way of a good narrative… 😉 Thanks for setting me straight. But, has that been the rule or is this year an exception?

• @DCHawker I am saying we should only take a transfer to fill a hole. Like next years team needs a shooter so we should be looking for a shooter. ( Next years team needs a lot )

I am not advocating to become the next Iowa St. or transfer U, but I don’t think we should look at it is taboo and be afraid to take one every now and again. If Kentucky didn’t take Reid Travis they would not be in the S16 and contending for another title.

• @DCHawker An exception. As has Reid Travis at UK.

What is happening more and more though is teams are able to build a high caliber team with transfers, or in a case like this season, add that final piece.

Nevada made a FF run around transfers. Houston has transfers this season. Nova won the Championship with one last season. Gonzaga went to the NC last season with a team based around transfers. It’s has really changed the game as of late.

• Bucknell Transfer Nathan Sestina is taking a visit to Kentucky.

• Isaiah Joe from Arkansas would be worth a look of he transferred out. 6-5 twig. Shot 8 threes a game at a .414 clip. Would have led KU in steals (although I’m sure a good chunk of that comes from the Mike Anderson system). Would have 3 years of eligibility left.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/isaiah-joe-1.html

• I count Lawson as a miss. 4 scholarship years tied up between Dedrick and KJ for one meh year from Dedrick that resulted in a third place Big 12 finish.

• @dylans What more could Dedric have done than average a very efficient double-double and lead the team in scoring? Dedric was absolutely fantastic this season, imo.

• FarmerJayhawk said:

I wonder if Kira Lewis would be interested? He may bolt after Avery got canned. KU was on him as a possible 2019 guy.

He has entered the transfer portal

• dylans said:

I count Lawson as a miss. 4 scholarship years tied up between Dedrick and KJ for one meh year from Dedrick that resulted in a third place Big 12 finish.

My gods.

• Woodrow said:

FarmerJayhawk said:

Wow this is the best player yet to enter.

• BeddieKU23 said:

Woodrow said:

FarmerJayhawk said:

Wow this is the best player yet to enter.

DO WANT. Plenty of size to play the 2 if he can get eligible immediately.

• Kira Lewis is definitely a big time want.

And wow at Lard transferring. Writing was on the wall this year with suspensions and less PT but he will be a good player for another program.

• @BShark yeah Lard did not have a good go of it in Ames. So many suspensions. Also, can we not with Ryan? Not impressed.

• @FarmerJayhawk I sure hope it doesn’t come to him for a forward. Just get Hurt or Precious and it’s all good.

• FarmerJayhawk said:

@BShark yeah Lard did not have a good go of it in Ames. So many suspensions. Also, can we not with Ryan? Not impressed.

That’s a no with me for Ryan either - -not impressed - - I’ll take a pass. – ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• BShark said:

@FarmerJayhawk I sure hope it doesn’t come to him for a forward. Just get Hurt or Precious and it’s all good.

Well I dunno BUT after listening to Hurt’s interview with Rivals - has given me renewed hope/interest. - maybe a real reach - quite possibly reading to much into it but just sounded like he really was interested in Ku and Coach’s just everything about KU - -we will see. - -see how this last month goes before his announcement. - We deserve some good news for change – - -ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• jayballer73 said:

BShark said:

@FarmerJayhawk I sure hope it doesn’t come to him for a forward. Just get Hurt or Precious and it’s all good.

Well I dunno BUT after listening to Hurt’s interview with Rivals - has given me renewed hope/interest. - maybe a real reach - quite possibly reading to much into it but just sounded like he really was interested in Ku and Coach’s just everything about KU - -we will see. - -see how this last month goes before his announcement. - We deserve some good news for change – - -ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

My honest take is Hurt is still open to KU, dook, and UNC. I think a lot of the dook hype lately has been media driven.

• Not sure if this guy’s name has been bought up - I apologize if it has but his name is : Nate Sestina grad transfer from Bucknell - - 6"9 forward , some pretty solid numbers. - has had like 50 schools interested in him at the present.

15.8 - - -ppg - - - - -8.5 - -rpg - - - - - -38% - – 3pt % - - - -81 % – - ft - - - & 60 % - from 2 pt range - -I would think we might want to check it out - - -taking Kentucky visit soon. - - ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• BShark said:

Apparently KU is interested in https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/matt-ryan-1.html

Gross

• Got a question . - -Is it me? - -have I missed the boat? - -I just don’t remember such a huge stock plie of players transferring like this before in recent years. - -What has caused such a very big amount of players transferring like this in the past few years? - -what has changed to cause so many to transfer? - -Seems like just in the last 3-4 years. - is that right? - -or have I just been blind to this in the last decade?

• @jayballer73

875 kids last yr FYI.

Kids have more leverage and choice now. Gone are the days Coaches and administrations can just say your not going anywhere, or we’re going to restrict where you can go. It’s bad PR to do it now.

The Grad Transfer angle has basically made it free agency. College Football is headed down a very steep dangerous path with eligibility appeals on some high profile kids (Justin Fields, Tate Martell). The transfer portal is another very recent tool given to kids looking to transfer as well. If kids don’t like the situation they are in they feel empowered to change it. This is the times we live in now.

• More names today. Just a recap of a day that saw nearly 100 new names in the Portal.

Matt Freeman of Oklahoma. Matt Ryan of Vanderbilt. Keith Stone and Michael Okuru of Florida. Tai Strickland of Wisconsin. Amauri Hardy of UNLV. Cameron Lard of Iowa St. Kira Lewis Jr of Alabama. Jahaad Proctor (19ppg) for High Point.

• BShark said:

Apparently KU is interested in https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/matt-ryan-1.html

Not understand that one. He really took a dive on his shooting numbers at Vandy. Was known as a big time shooter coming into Notre Dame. Saw some Vandy games this year and he was not very good.

• Kira Lewis please and thank you.

• Kcmatt7 said:

Kira Lewis please and thank you.

He’ll have plenty of suitors. KU and Tennessee recruited him to the end last spring. Maybe we get lucky 2nd time around like with Malik. Kira is a jet with the ball similar to Dotson with a little more size and length. Was impressed by him this year

• BeddieKU23 said:

Kcmatt7 said:

He’ll have plenty of suitors. KU and Tennessee recruited him to the end last spring. Maybe we get lucky 2nd time around like with Malik. Kira is a jet with the ball similar to Dotson with a little more size and length. Was impressed by him this year

I watched a couple of Bama games this year. He stands out. I’m actually sort of shocked he wasn’t on draft boards, but I think that’s only because he’s not eligible. Still 17 until next Saturday.

• @jayballer73 Because nobody can commit to anything anymore. No loyalty. Everybody wants to be the star of the team and not a team player.

• Kcmatt7 said:

BeddieKU23 said:

Kcmatt7 said:

I watched a couple of Bama games this year. He stands out. I’m actually sort of shocked he wasn’t on draft boards, but I think that’s only because he’s not eligible. Still 17 until next Saturday.

Same, saw some games and I was surprised how good he was. Beat out veterans, led the team in scoring. I know he was young but I didn’t realize he was Svi young.

I have a feeling wherever he lands he’ll appeal to be immediately eligible. I would if I were him after what has happened in College Football.

• nuleafjhawk said:

@jayballer73 Because nobody can commit to anything anymore. No loyalty. Everybody wants to be the star of the team and not a team player.

Prison Mitch says HELLO

• nuleafjhawk said:

@jayballer73 Because nobody can commit to anything anymore. No loyalty. Everybody wants to be the star of the team and not a team player.

Sure, that’s part of it.

The other part is that coaches constantly leave jobs. The odds of you playing all four years for the coach you committed to is very unlikely.

Another part of it is coaches incorrectly assessing the talent of players. Bill Self has basically kicked several players out of the program. He isn’t the only one.

Another part is that coaches are liars. Recruits are told they’ll be given the world. Anything to get them on campus. Then, they realize that everyone was told that. It wasn’t the truth. And now they have to make a decision.

The last part, of course everyone wants to play. You get 4-5 years to play and then for the majority of guys, it’s over. Why would you not want to spend your time playing? If it looks like you are never going to get the opportunity you were looking for at this school, why wouldn’t you go somewhere else that you would be more valued? You’re going to spend 40+ hours a week doing this. You should try to be somewhere you feel happy and welcomed.

I want to ask two questions. Have you ever changed jobs before? Why weren’t you completely loyal to the first place you ever started working? Better opportunity elsewhere? You hated your boss? Job description turned out to be different than was explained to you? You like to be an integral part of a smaller organization than just a cog at a big one? Wanted to move back closer to family?

This is no different than leaving a job for another that you may be more interested in. The only thing people owe loyalty to is themselves and their family. They don’t owe a coach who may leave at any second loyalty. They don’t owe the school who won’t even remember them any loyalty. Their only responsibility is to do what is best for themselves. Call that selfish all you want, but you only get one life and it’s your responsibility to try to make the most out of it.

• BeddieKU23 said:

Kcmatt7 said:

BeddieKU23 said:

Kcmatt7 said:

Same, saw some games and I was surprised how good he was. Beat out veterans, led the team in scoring. I know he was young but I didn’t realize he was Svi young.

I have a feeling wherever he lands he’ll appeal to be immediately eligible. I would if I were him after what has happened in College Football.

That would be absolutely amazing… I mean, if Tate Martell and Justin Fields can get immediate eligibility, I’d think anyone can at this point.

• @Kcmatt7"This is no different than leaving a job for another that you may be more interested in"

Yes, in my 43 years of employment I have changed jobs. I won’t count my High School jobs or my first …I guess i’d better make some kind of money to pay rent job - after those I spent close to 9 years at one job, we moved to another state and I spent close to 9 years at the next job (was laid off) and have been in my current job for 22 years.

So, I guess my opinion is that I’m not a big job hopper.

What sets that apart from the college basketball playing that we’re talking about is this:

When I started looking for a “real” job, not every single major, high paying company in the free world was sending me letters, knocking on my door, offering to buy cars, houses, hookers, whatever it is that’s on the table these days in order for me to come work for them.

I was the one who had to put in the legwork. I had to make sure my resume was good. I had to look and act decent at interviews. People were not begging me to work for them and pay me whatever i wanted. Even through those circumstances I felt a certain amount of loyalty to my employer for the time that they did invest in me.

I feel that when colleges invest thousands of dollars, plus the time involved to recruit players, the players should feel some sense of loyalty, some sense of obligation to stay there. Of course, there are always circumstances that dictate that a player must go, but it should be, in my opinion an extreme rarity.

I know my values are outdated, old fashioned and not realistic with todays society, but that’s how I feel.

• @Kcmatt7 lol, I stuck around at my job so long my boss retired and I took over the business. I’d be ok with it if they allowed highschoolers to go pro and/or didn’t allow college freshmen to play (not so fond of the second one, but it would show a definite commitment and would force the kid to be in the system for 2 years to figure out if he’s any good before he bales due to being work brittle). I’d also be ok with requiring a 2 year scholarship commitment from the university for every recruit. i.e. OADs cost 2 scholarship years.

• nuleafjhawk said:

@Kcmatt7"This is no different than leaving a job for another that you may be more interested in"

Yes, in my 43 years of employment I have changed jobs. I won’t count my High School jobs or my first …I guess i’d better make some kind of money to pay rent job - after those I spent close to 9 years at one job, we moved to another state and I spent close to 9 years at the next job (was laid off) and have been in my current job for 22 years.

So, I guess my opinion is that I’m not a big job hopper.

What sets that apart from the college basketball playing that we’re talking about is this:

When I started looking for a “real” job, not every single major, high paying company in the free world was sending me letters, knocking on my door, offering to buy cars, houses, hookers, whatever it is that’s on the table these days in order for me to come work for them.

I was the one who had to put in the legwork. I had to make sure my resume was good. I had to look and act decent at interviews. People were not begging me to work for them and pay me whatever i wanted. Even through those circumstances I felt a certain amount of loyalty to my employer for the time that they did invest in me.

I feel that when colleges invest thousands of dollars, plus the time involved to recruit players, the players should feel some sense of loyalty, some sense of obligation to stay there. Of course, there are always circumstances that dictate that a player must go, but it should be, in my opinion an extreme rarity.

I know my values are outdated, old fashioned and not realistic with todays society, but that’s how I feel.

I don’t think people should be big hoppers. I also just don’t think people should judge others harshly for altering their position for what is best for them and makes them happy.

There is nothing wrong with loyalty. It is a very good trait that can take you far. But it can also be a fault. Expecting every 17-18 year old to be happy with a decision they (or their parents) made as they mature into a young adult is foolish, imo.

This is their pay the rent job. It’s also their summer internship. It also has the potential to be a multi-million dollar decision for them. So, in my opinion, it is ok for players to spend these 4 years of their lives in a somewhat selfish manner considering it could change their entire lives.

• dylans said:

@Kcmatt7 lol, I stuck around at my job so long my boss retired and I took over the business. I’d be ok with it if they allowed highschoolers to go pro and/or didn’t allow college freshmen to play (not so fond of the second one, but it would show a definite commitment and would force the kid to be in the system for 2 years to figure out if he’s any good before he bales due to being work brittle). I’d also be ok with requiring a 2 year scholarship commitment from the university for every recruit. i.e. OADs cost 2 scholarship years.

Well congratulations! Loyalty most certainly is a good trait and pays off for many. I’d love to start/own a business someday.

Now to the rest of your point:

I fully 100% agree players should be allowed to go pro and it’s kind of dumb that the NBA ever put that rule in, in the first place.

I fully 100% disagree on the rest of your ideas. I don’t believe that we should be limiting the opportunities of athletes just because we as fans enjoy watching sports more if players are here for 4 years. Limiting the opportunities of students is absolutely against the spirit of any Higher Learning Institution. A scholarship restriction does this, as does forcing a player to sit.