Shaka OutSMARTS Billy, Plays Modern Basketball

• Rough loss.

• Lol

• You misspelled Shaka’s team out hustles Self’s but still loses because he’s Shaka lol

• shaka still 0-FER against Self in the Big 12

• But he didn’t have trouble beating Self that one time.

• @BShark

The long term effect is he got a bigger job and gets to lose to Self at least twice a year. It’s a good gig

• Where is the box score???

• All the disparagement and snideness toward Shaka tells me that the E8 game still means more to this board than the dominance KU has in the B12. So we get all snarky because no VCU fans are here to say, “Yeah, but…elite 8.”

• mayjay said:

All the disparagement and snideness toward Shaka tells me that the E8 game still means more to this board than the dominance KU has in the B12. So we get all snarky because no VCU fans are here to say, “Yeah, but…elite 8.”

@mayjay I agree with what you’re saying and I am thrilled with every KU win over Shaka’s Longhorns. I hope the Longhorns never get a win over KU during Shaka’s tenure (or after, for that matter). Without that E8 win, Shaka would never have been considered for the job at Texas, nor probably any other power 5 team.

• @bcjayhawk well, never say never… It was the springboard, but who knows what happens at VCU; he had a good thing going.

• Final Fours are kinda a big deal.

• I don’t get the Shaka hate here. He’s a solid coach. Is it really just because he got his team prepared to beat us on a big stage when Self fell into one of his old habits (i.e., playing certain guys too much). That’s not Shaka Smart’s fault. We complain about that on this board all the time. Shaka Smart had a team that exploited that.

He would have gotten a P5 chance at some point either way, same as Marshall has had P5 offers, same as many other coaches have had P5 offers. He wasn’t dominant at VCU, but he had a good team that was consistent in a mid major, something that Bill Self can tell you is tough to do.

Smart had his guys ready again last night, and KU was fortunate they screwed up that last play, otherwise we are sitting at 2-2 in conference.

• @justanotherfan I get what you are saying. I was one that thought Shaka would do better than he has at UT. Some on here have pointed out that while his team’s at VCU were good, he didn’t (or maybe only the once…I don’t remember) win his conference. He did have his team prepared and road a hot streak into the final four. And you correctly point out, in my opinion, what Self did wrong in that game. That, and I believe, the Morii not taking VCU seriously. His snarky comment about KU as he came into the league probably doesn’t help him win over KU fans.

• justanotherfan said:

I don’t get the Shaka hate here. He’s a solid coach. Is it really just because he got his team prepared to beat us on a big stage when Self fell into one of his old habits (i.e., playing certain guys too much). That’s not Shaka Smart’s fault. We complain about that on this board all the time. Shaka Smart had a team that exploited that.

Personally, I was unimpressed with his snarky remark at the press conference when introduced as the new Texas coach. A reporter asked if his brand of basketball would transfer well to the Big 12, and he responded, “It translated pretty well a few years ago in San Antonio.” And then he smirked, with the most punchable face I remember seeing.

I didn’t hate him after we lost to VCU. I was pleased when he was hired at Texas because I thought he was a quality coach. But he could have handled that question with more class. I thought his answer was a dick move. One quality win did not justify his arrogance.

It was just one comment, and maybe he’s paid for it by now. But I probably won’t ever have any warm and fuzzy feelings for him.

• @tundrahok

Still hasn’t beaten self since joining the league. So far he doesnt have much to talk about

• There’s some discontent with Greg Gard at Wisconsin. Since Shaka’s a Madisonian I wouldn’t be surprised to see him mentioned as a replacement for Gard some day.

• BeddieKU23 said:

@tundrahok

Still hasn’t beaten self since joining the league. So far he doesnt have much to talk about

But…elite 8!

• That tournament was so winnable that year. How could we have let that slip?

• @tundrahok and that’s saying a lot coming from a well respected poster like you! I agree, by the way. I felt he disrespected Coach and KU by saying that. A lil to big for his britches as my gma would say!