Doke

• Self says it could be one game or season ending. At this point the kid has been injured more then he’s available

• It sounds like they think it was just a bruise and Self was surprised he said he couldn’t go. Self said he didn’t find out he wasn’t going to play until the bus ride to Hilton for the shoot around.

• BeddieKU23 said:

Self says it could be one game or season ending. At this point the kid has been injured more then he’s available

Bill seems mad.

• We r crap w/out doke and Silvio! Dokes so young. No prep time either. Bad luck w/bigs!

• Doke wouldn’t have changed much, he would have fouled out or been in foul trouble. But this is what his 4th injury in 3 years…

• BShark said:

BeddieKU23 said:

Self says it could be one game or season ending. At this point the kid has been injured more then he’s available

Bill seems mad.

Protecting the goods yo

• @Woodrow

Nothing is just a bruise with doke

• BeddieKU23 said:

BShark said:

BeddieKU23 said:

Bill seems mad.

Protecting the goods yo

Ugh

• Dble ugh

• BeddieKU23 said:

BShark said:

BeddieKU23 said:

Bill seems mad.

Protecting the goods yo

he doesn’t have aby goods to protect as far as the NBA goes - - he is old man NBA - -his game in the NBA has passed him by - -he has no shot. - -we have had this discussion before - - big’s now days take it out on the floor hit that mid range jumper - he might get drafted ok 0 - just to be a very limited reserve- - if he wants to continue to play - it won’t be in the States.

I know it sounds bad - -BUT beginning to wonder about his toughness -his pain tolerance - Coach Self really sounded like it was a surprise - – yet like you , he wouldn’t of been the difference in this game - - Ball control - -better shooting - -THAT would be the difference in this game

• Put a soft cast on it and let him play. Maybe it helps his FT shooting.

• Cast up both wrists

• Marcus too

• Still no word on the severity of the injury… not looking good

• No news is good news?

• BeddieKU23 said:

Still no word on the severity of the injury… not looking good

Legit could lose the conference w/o Doke.

• Done for the year.

• This puts the streak in serious jeopardy

• This hurts my heart for the big fella. Any chance he can redshirt this year???

• Fudge

• Figures just another season with a big man injury or eligibility issue. Same crap every single season

• Well, we still have Vick!

• (bonus years for guys that might not have been here this season in the first place)

• Wow, gosh I feel terrible for Doke. Feel like hes spent over half if his time here injured now. The streak is in serious jeopardy friends. Hopefully Big David can come around quickly and by an act of God himself SDS gets cleared.

• Well THIS will get interesting…

and yes we do seem to have been snake-bit with our big men the past few years. Lawson is now officially the man, Grimes and Vick and Dotson being our only viable scorers. Mitch and McCormack please step up.

Look at it this way… if somehow we DO win the conference, it will be flat out stupendous… !

(I’m trying hard to stay upbeat here … what else can I do?)

• So, let me get this straight… the Texans get pummelled… my Jayhawks get smashed…the Rockets get drilled… and Doke is out for the year. Did I miss anything? I can’t wait to get back to work.

• RED ALERT

Start David McCormack. Start him now. Live with the ups and downs. It is critical that this guy develop. He won’t do that playing a 10-12 minutes. Start him. Play him 'till he drops.

• Big Mac needs to step up and show that high IQ. This is his time.

• BeddieKU23 said:

Figures just another season with a big man injury or eligibility issue. Same crap every single season

Double whammy this year…

• @HighEliteMajor I like that idea, you don’t have to play him a ton but he needs to be getting starts and a fair share of minutes. I don’t think I would be as worried most years but with the way we shoot 3 pointers, this is trouble forsure.

• No more HACKADOKE. I will be at the game in Norman.

• So I am not sure if KU can afford to play small ball. Normally you sacrifice some defense and rebounding to gain shooting, but KU doesn’t even really gain shooting by playing small. I think it’s time for the Dave Lightfoot experience.

• Really need the NCAA to get off its lazy ass and clear Silvio. Silvio-Lawson is still a top 5 front court in the country. And I believe Doke just got Brandon Rush’d.

• FarmerJayhawk said:

Really need the NCAA to get off its lazy ass and clear Silvio. Silvio-Lawson is still a top 5 front court in the country. And I believe Doke just got Brandon Rush’d.

Agree. I don’t see how Doke is remotely draftable at this point with his injury history.

• Play Garrett at point, get Dotson off the ball. Dotson is KU’s best shooter, but he can’t get his own shot yet on the perimeter. Dotson and Vick on the perimeter without the ball will force defenses to respect their shooting because they’re the only two who can consistently make an outside shot. Garrett is a good enough passer and protects the ball well enough that him running the show could actually open some stuff up inside for Dedric and for Grimes to drive which it seems like the light has come on for him finally.

• The rest of the league just caught a huge break.

• Texas Hawk 10 said:

Play Garrett at point, get Dotson off the ball. Dotson is KU’s best shooter, but he can’t get his own shot yet on the perimeter. Dotson and Vick on the perimeter without the ball will force defenses to respect their shooting because they’re the only two who can consistently make an outside shot. Garrett is a good enough passer and protects the ball well enough that him running the show could actually open some stuff up inside for Dedric and for Grimes to drive which it seems like the light has come on for him finally.

I actually really like this idea. I’ve been pretty impressed with Garrett as a lead guard.

• joeloveshawks said:

This hurts my heart for the big fella. Any chance he can redshirt this year???

Doke has played his last game for KU. - there is no way he is coming back next year - - hell he about was gone this year - - -nothing to gain for him to come back - -the way things are going for him would be a huge risk - -he is so injury prone - he comes back and the next time might injure so bad would ruin any chance of playing anymore ball anywhere - might as well go oversea’s and try to pick up some money

• kjayhawks said:

Wow, gosh I feel terrible for Doke. Feel like hes spent over half if his time here injured now. The streak is in serious jeopardy friends. Hopefully Big David can come around quickly and by an act of God himself SDS gets cleared.

I like your train of thought for sure. - -However do you seriously deep down in your heart REALLY believe Silvio is going to be cleared to play this year? - come on now be honest.

Not only is our streak in jeopardy - -if we lose quite a few more games - well doesn’t have to be dramatic - we are also at risk of falling out of the top 25 period - -breaking another streak , you think about that - you realize we have the longest streak in the Nation for being ranked in the top 25 for consective weeks ? - quite a long streak. - -It’s more of a chance then what you might think

I can almost hear ALL these others teams just partying their ass off. laughing their ass off. - -we have a really good chance now of losing many more. - When you have the combination of horrible inconsistent perimeter shooting and losing your big man 0s - -NOT GOOD - -teams now for sure every time Dedric catches the ball will be double teamed - -and they will be able to do that since no Doke and not having to respect our outside shooting. - - -I don’t blame them either KU is gonna have to prove to opponents they can knock down the outside shot - this is going to force Garett into the starting line up - -and that’s NO GOOD here is another reason for them to sag in - - we will be playing 4-5 the rest of the year unless he can devise another starting line up - -this season has quickly turned to crap

• HighEliteMajor said:

RED ALERT

Start David McCormack. Start him now. Live with the ups and downs. It is critical that this guy develop. He won’t do that playing a 10-12 minutes. Start him. Play him 'till he drops.

that’s what we have got to do guy. - - - -he just going to have to develop on the run. – We have all of a sudden went from a deep team to thin again - - hopefully he can come along.

Here is something I’ve wondered since I heard this wonderful news. - -I know it isn’t the best move far from it but I kind of wondered. - -Like you say McCormack starting now at the 5 - - so what about and again it might sound crazy but what if we put Vick on the bench - -have him coming off the bench for at least for awhile till he can get his junk together - -start him on the bench - -let’s put KJ at the 3 - -that way keeps Garett from being a liability on the offensive end - - gives us a little more height in the starting Five - - -we were starting Garrett - -well KJ is just as good - -I know he is a better option anyways on the offensive end. - -Start KJ at the 3 - -bring Vick in and relieve KJ for awhile right now as Vick is in another one of his funks - -playing horrible ball - - Bring Garrett in off the bench to relieve Dotson/grimes - I know not the best possible solution by any means BUT can’t be any worse right now. - -Takes Garrett out at least the other teams would have to play us 5-5 instead of 4-5 - - and at this minute with Vick playing like he is can’t be worse right?

I have thought would like to see KJ possibly at least a little more , Garrett still be playing some anyways - I just think it might help some in this situation - - Add some height - -takes away the defenicy of no offensive threat from Garrett - -KJ pretty good rebounder - -go ahead tell me I’m crazy as a loonie tune - -what you guys think ? - let me have it

• @NCAA - #FreeSilvio! Send it early and often!

• Start Dotson, Grimes, Vick, Dedric, McCormack.

Garrett as sub at 1, 2, 3.

Lightfoot at 4 - move Dedric to 5 when they are together.

But we can run with doses of playing small when McCormack or Dedric is resting vs playing Lightfoot.

7 man rotation.

Play Moore and KJ only in emergency.

Just my opinion - I see Moore as one of the least impressive overall players to get real minutes under Self. He doesn’t seem even average at anything. So far. KJ just seems subpar. Why play either unless necessary?

While this is disappointing, this could be really fun. Now we are really vulnerable. But we have coach Self. No one else can say that. I’m not betting against him.

• @HighEliteMajor Self usually does great work with “short stacks”.

• I would love to see how Self backtracked face to face with Doke from his initial snotty statement indicating he didn’t give much respect to Doke’s reported injury.

Waiting for a few people on here who threw shade at him to fess up, too. Wrist ligament injuries hurt. Mine still hurts 46 years later.

• HighEliteMajor said:

Start Dotson, Grimes, Vick, Dedric, McCormack.

Garrett as sub at 1, 2, 3.

Lightfoot at 4 - move Dedric to 5 when they are together.

But we can run with doses of playing small when McCormack or Dedric is resting vs playing Lightfoot.

7 man rotation.

Play Moore and KJ only in emergency.

Just my opinion - I see Moore as one of the least impressive overall players to get real minutes under Self. He doesn’t seem even average at anything. So far. KJ just seems subpar. Why play either unless necessary?

While this is disappointing, this could be really fun. Now we are really vulnerable. But we have coach Self. No one else can say that. I’m not betting against him.

@HighEliteMajor I think i’m with ya, HighElite.

By default, that may have to be the lineup. There could be days where we start small though, depending on the matchups.

But, i’d say the first lineup Self roles with will be Mitch at the big spot. Just a guess. He can run the floor, stay out of Lawson’s way, maybe.

As much as i’m losing faith in Moore and Mitch, they now have to step up and play a bigger role. The sad part is that the players say Charlie knocks down shots in practice all the time. maybe it’s in his head. We all saw how long it took what’s his name (Newman) from last year to find his game.

I do like to dog on KJ, but he’s growing on me as a rebounder and energy player. Give him a few minutes with his brother. RED LIGHT on dribbling and shooting!!! He needs to stay under the hoop defensively as well.

Could this be the time that another Teahan comes to the rescue as a sharp shooter? 🙂

• @mayjay I bet he begged forgiveness. Just believing the drs.

• I really have lost hope. If Dedric looked better at isu, I’d feel better, but he’s our only hope and he stunk. Can’t even catch a ball. This is the first time I’ve been a Debbie downer.