Pooka

• That. is.awesome.

• Great, just after things were looking up for KU football. Let’s see what happens, we all remember the Bragg deal.

• sigh

• Every day is a fresh reminder of how stupid people can be.

• Hopefully Lindsey already signed his contract lol

• This is at the very least another example of a young man putting himself in a position in which there are no good outcomes.

And that’s at the very least, viewing it in the most favorable terms for him.

It could also be that he’s done something despicable and should be kicked off the team.

• We also need some kind of classes for these young men. There very well may be some in place. Can’t be enough mentors!

• @Crimsonorblue22 Classes would be beneficial.

Another thing that would help is common sense.

Do people have that any more?

• Brutal. What a talent. I’ll reserve further judgement to see what details come out

• I thought most football players lived at Jayhawk Towers; from the eligibility requirements looks like some strings might have been pulled to get him to Stouffer Place.

0_1544212049084_B708CE4B-C7C9-4450-8D5C-6F9B72838D1D.jpeg

• nuleafjhawk said:

@Crimsonorblue22 Classes would be beneficial.

Another thing that would help is common sense.

Do people have that any more?

nope they don’t obviously have ANY common sense. – How hard is it? -man when can we just have a normal season in football - - -basketball - whatever with out some kind drama - - anything not involving law enforcement - - Nice - --really sweet

• @Crimsonorblue22 If they need a class to tell them not to hit a woman, then they might not have the intelligence to grasp what the class is about.

• I will wait for the details of the incident to come out before passing judgment on Pooka. Best case scenario is he put himself into a bad spot and this is a teachable life lesson for him. Worst case is he’s a footnote in KU football history as a one year wonder with off field issues.

• KUSTEVE said:

@Crimsonorblue22 If they need a class to tell them not to hit a woman, then they might not have the intelligence to grasp what the class is about.

Classes really shouldn’t be seen as for the perps. They are for KU administrators who always throw up their hands in pure bewilderment that powerful kids recruited for skills in a violent game sometimes get violent with “civilians,” and classes enable them to smugly say, “See? Aren’t we on top of things?”

• @mayjay Nothing worse in my book than a woman beater. They can slice it and dice it however they want… have a circle jerk class where a grown man has to be told not to beat a woman, and dress it up as though he’s had some great breakthrough. Then he’ll say the appropriate apologies, and Viola…he’s starting again. And it leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I keep thinking of that video of Joe Mixon knocking a girl out - I can’t wrap around my head how anyone could hit a girl. It’s disgusting.

• Athletes need to learn very quickly that they will always be targets of people that feel like they want take them down a notch or two, in the case of amateur/college stars, or want a big pay day from pro athletes. They need to learn two basic rules:

• Pick your friend wisely and don’t put yourself in situation that lead to trouble.
    • If you find yourself in a bad situation…walk away; staying is a no win situation.

If Kareem Hunt or Pooka would have followed these two rules they would not be in the situations they are with their current careers in serious jeopardy.

• Hopefully he doesn’t turn into the next John Randle, boy I thought he was gonna be great and he was for a couple of years just pissed it all away. Then his little brother did the same thing SMH, it crazy to me how stupid some of these guys are that blow there chance at not only being filthy rich but greatness.

• We teach remedial classes in Math and English at KU. Nobody with a decent Jr High and High School education should have to take those classes, but not everybody gets a decent education in Jr High and High School.

So why not teach remedial classes in basic human behavior for those who need it? Apparently some people don’t get a decent education in that either.

• @tundrahok Remedial classes can also be for nontraditional students who haven’t been in a math or English class in awhile and need a refresher.

• @Texas-Hawk-10 Good point. And hopefully mature students would be less likely to need remedial classes in basic human behavior.

• tundrahok said:

@Texas-Hawk-10 Good point. And hopefully mature students would be less likely to need remedial classes in basic human behavior.

What kind of society have we become when we need to have “remedial classes in basic human behavior” at the college level?

• @JayHawkFanToo kids that have had the crap beat out of them. Not everybody has been brought up in the burbs

• I think the original point was that no one admitted to college should need a college class to learn that beating someone is unacceptable behavior.

I chimed in in support on that admittedly very limited point (by cynically questioning the administrators’ motives), but obviously any classes would have a much broader scope and deal with more subtle issues.

These types of classes can be just as helpful to, and are needed as much by, kids raised in the “burbs” as in the “hood.” Fraternities have grown infamous, and a few have lost their charters, due to ritualized mistreatment of women, both at parties and by requiring abusive treatment by pledges to get in. Many college students from all backgrounds have adopted drug and alcohol as accepted means to overcome lack of willing consent. Classes can educate students not only about what is unacceptable, but what actions cross the line between seduction and persuasion to criminal coercion.

It isn’t just violent behavior in a rage that is sought to be avoided. It is also the great confusion and controversies arising out of ambiguity, distress, anger, guilt, and regret that marks too many student sexual relationships and leads to charges and accusations that now are in the news constantly.

Maybe we cannot teach kids how to be good people, but we can teach them the best ways of acting to avoid life-changing trouble. We can teach them two rules:

1. No means no.

2. If there is doubt about whether number 1 applies, resolve the doubt instead of ignoring it.

Ideally, classes like these involve a lot of student to student experience sharing, which would help everyone learn from unfamiliar situations rather than only their own.

• A civics class should be mandatory in middle school, high school, and college because there are too many people who don’t know those basic things. It’s something that should be common sense, but too many people are brought up in scenarios where they’re taught differently or in environments where they see terrible things happening so they assume that’s a normal thing.

• @Texas-Hawk-10 And about 12 science classes.

• Crimsonorblue22 said:

@mayjay https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/jacob-walter-anderson-accused-of-drugging-and-raping-woman-fined-400-and-set-free_us_5c0fb9eae4b08bcb27ec996e

I wasn’t thinking about all those stinking rich frat boys! That’s a whole new level!

The same week the girl who was traffick victim that murdered her captor gets 51 years.

I normally don’t get into politics, but those two cases illustrate what white privilege in this country is about.

• @Crimsonorblue22 I had that one in mind when I wrote.

• tundrahok said:

We teach remedial classes in Math and English at KU.

Nope

• DanR said:

tundrahok said:

We teach remedial classes in Math and English at KU.

Nope

Of course they do. https://catalog.ku.edu/arts/ Any course below 100 at KU is remedial.

@Texas-Hawk-10 couldn’t agree more. I teach public policy at a higher ranked institution than KU and even my students come in without basic knowledge of our system of government. No idea what seperation of powers or federalism mean. Especially thinking through how to get from policy idea to implementation. I see things like “the Supreme Court should do X” having no idea what the Court can actually do (only rule on cases, nothing more).

• Crimsonorblue22 said:

@JayHawkFanToo kids that have had the crap beat out of them. Not everybody has been brought up in the burbs

Please reread my post, I believe you missed my point.

• @FarmerJayhawk

Hard to expect that from students anymore when an elected congresswoman does not know the 3 branches of government.

• @JayHawkFanToo what was your point?

• Crimsonorblue22 said:

@JayHawkFanToo what was your point?

My point was that in this and age we should not have “kids that have had the crap beat out of them.”…anywhere…We have failed as a society,

• Chasing 🦄 s

People suck as a general rule.

• @Crimsonorblue22 Sickening and @Texas-Hawk-10 I’d say rich has more to do with that color personally. Several people of all kinds of races have been slapped on the wrist for crimes you or me would go away for decades just because they are famous or have money.

• Granted Diversion. Interested to see how this plays out.

• @Kcmatt7 it will be for sure. He claims he pushed her, she says punched and choked. Supposedly she had bruises but the pictures haven’t been released to the public. I think he deserves another shot because he doesn’t have a criminal record or any previous Problems. These cases are so hard to read because it’s tough to prove or know exactly what happened.

• Pooka will sit out some games I bet - Seems like in even asking for a diverson - he is pretty much admitting guilt and like a plea bargain. When I was younger I has to go trough a diversion myself.

There will probably classes he will have to go to . I’m pretty sure he will be suspended a couple of games by Coach - -let’s put this behind us now - -Pooka do what he needs to do to satisfy Everyone - and then play ball - don’t get caught or put yourself in that type of a situation ever again - we need you - -w DON’T need more issues with our sports progam. - -ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• I’m uneasy about this diversion. I hope that he isn’t a scumbag, but I am also worried.

KU football has a lot of momentum right now. New coach. Good recruits coming in. Excitement around the program.

I hope no one bowed to the excitement and pressure and brushed something serious off as a “mistake.” If he did something bad, he should be punished, even if that means he’s off the team.

Now, that isn’t to say that he did do something horrible. I don’t have the facts. But I also know that there’s a pretty long and ugly history of athletes being granted much more leeway than they should have because they were helping the team win. College football has a long history of coverups in the name of team wins (see Baylor, Colorado, Penn State, Florida State, Miami, North Carolina, Tennessee, USC, Michigan State, LSU, Florida, Ohio State, Maryland, Nebraska - could go on, but you get the point). I just hope that this isn’t a sign that Kansas should be added to that list.

• justanotherfan said:

I’m uneasy about this diversion. I hope that he isn’t a scumbag, but I am also worried.

KU football has a lot of momentum right now. New coach. Good recruits coming in. Excitement around the program.

I hope no one bowed to the excitement and pressure and brushed something serious off as a “mistake.” If he did something bad, he should be punished, even if that means he’s off the team.

Now, that isn’t to say that he did do something horrible. I don’t have the facts. But I also know that there’s a pretty long and ugly history of athletes being granted much more leeway than they should have because they were helping the team win. College football has a long history of coverups in the name of team wins (see Baylor, Colorado, Penn State, Florida State, Miami, North Carolina, Tennessee, USC, Michigan State, LSU, Florida, Ohio State, Maryland, Nebraska - could go on, but you get the point). I just hope that this isn’t a sign that Kansas should be added to that list.

Well just because he was granted the diversion doesn’t mean he won’t be facing punishment. - -Coach more likely will be giving him some form of punishment on top of what the diversion calls for. - - I’m thinking he will be serving some suspension from Miles - -looking maybe a couple of games at the beginning of the season , on top of attending any say Anger Management and if he has any fines he will be made to pay - somewhere along those lines - -then let’s put this behind us and move on , and hope he understands he can NEVER put his hands on a woman NO WHERE - - NO TIME - -and just don’t let himself get caught up in this type of situation again.

He has a very legit shot of having a outstanding future - just has to use his head and choose is women the right way. - -ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• With his athleticism, I think he would work out/play with the basketball team…

• There should be punishment on his behalf, no question. I’m just not sure what really happened but if he’s willing to take some classes and sit out a few games I’d be fine with him being reinstated to the program.

• kjayhawks said:

There should be punishment on his behalf, no question. I’m just not sure what really happened but if he’s willing to take some classes and sit out a few games I’d be fine with him being reinstated to the program.

In the end run - -nobody will ever know for 100 % what really happened – boil down to one of these he said - -she said - -to be on the lighter side Coach Miles I figure will hold him out of a couple games at the least - maybe all the way to all the Non Con - do what he think saves face for the University as far as some form of decipline . - It would not look good it Les did nothing

• IF there was video he’d be Kareem Hunted/Ray Riced. No video so he can be forgiven.

• dylans said:

IF there was video he’d be Kareem Hunted/Ray Riced. No video so he can be forgiven.

Yupp, so far the difference between diversion and being kicked off the team.

• @dylans Isn’t a video what cleared Bragg when he was accused of domestic abuse?

Video may also confirm the legal punishment Pooka is recieving is a fair and doesn’t warrant being kicked off the team.

• @Texas-Hawk-10 The Bragg deal never passed the smell test.

The diversion is more or less an admission of culpability. I wouldn’t classify these the same

• @dylans The Bragg issue may have been suspicious sounding from the start, but video evidence is what confirmed Bragg was innocent in that just like video is what condemned Rice and Hunt. That’s what my point was, there was video evidence in all 3 of those situations that either showed the accused was innocent or guilty and if guilty, how bad it really was to the point that neither will play in the NFL again.