Les Miles Coaching Staff

• The key with Chip Lindsey is whether he’s bringing his offense, or if he’s running Les Miles offense. Supposedly he requested his release from Auburn because of Malzahn meddling too much.

I would imagine he wouldn’t take this job to run the Miles offense so I’m hoping we’ll see a similar style offense to what he ran at Auburn which was a very high powered spread offense.

• Texas Hawk 10 said:

The key with Chip Lindsey is whether he’s bringing his offense, or if he’s running Les Miles offense. Supposedly he requested his release from Auburn because of Malzahn meddling too much.

I would imagine he wouldn’t take this job to run the Miles offense so I’m hoping we’ll see a similar style offense to what he ran at Auburn which was a very high powered spread offense.

I bet we see what we did at Southern Miss with Monken. Won’t be the Air Raid, but will be closer to traditional formations and balance. They had a wicked PA game.

• Texas Hawk 10 said:

The key with Chip Lindsey is whether he’s bringing his offense, or if he’s running Les Miles offense. Supposedly he requested his release from Auburn because of Malzahn meddling too much.

Big piece of his offense is - that it varies a lot – -both run and pass. He ran the air raid for sure but also ran a lot of the running game

So a big point is this if we land him is landing a big time QB that can feel the role - -got to get a duo threat QB - -that can run either - -ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• Texas Hawk 10 said:

Gus runs that show on offense. No way he doesn’t.

• Outstanding. Lindsey will go hog wild with pooka.

• https://www.ksal.com/miles-tabs-chip-lindsey-to-lead-the-kansas-offense/

Lindsey’s 2015 Golden Eagle offense ranked fifth in the nation in total touchdowns, seventh in total points, eighth in total passing yards and completions, and 12th in points per game and passing yards per game. The 2015 Golden Eagles tallied more than 4,200 passing yards and just under 2,500 rushing yards. The national leader with 102 explosive plays, they were just the second school in FBS history with a 4,000-yard passer, a 1,000-yard receiver and two 1,000-yard rushers.

In 2017, Auburn became just the eighth team in SEC history and the first in Auburn history to rush and pass for 3,000 yards in a season. The Tigers also ranked 26th nationally in total offense and set an Auburn record scoring 327 points in SEC play, winning the SEC West. All-SEC quarterback Jarrett Stidham, the second Auburn QB ever to throw for 3,000 yards in a season, led the SEC and ranked ninth nationally in completion percentage. Running back Kerryon Johnson was SEC offensive player of the year, and Ryan Davis set an Auburn receiving record with 84 catches.

I sure hope he can bring some of that to KU ASAP!!!

• I think it’s a great hire, I know they didn’t have a great season offensively compared to last season but they had to basically start over up front and still put up better numbers than we did playing in the best division in CFB. I’m being told that both Tony Hull and Clint Bowen are going to return as assistants, they both are currently out recruiting. I think everyone agrees Hull needs to stay and I know Bowen hasn’t done great at DC but I think he’s a solid Safeties coach. He had a much better year this season than in the past. I’m fine with him remaining here just not as an DC.

• @kjayhawks Links about Bowen?

• KUSTEVE said:

Outstanding. Lindsey will go hog wild with pooka.

Lindsey I think is a great hire. - -he has run an offense while at Auburn where the team was the only team in the SEC that has ever ha an offense that ran the ball for over 3,000 yards AND passed for over 3,000 yards in the same season - -I think I like that very versitale – I think I like that a lot. - - ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• kjayhawks said:

I think it’s a great hire, I know they didn’t have a great season offensively compared to last season but they had to basically start over up front and still put up better numbers than we did playing in the best division in CFB. I’m being told that both Tony Hull and Clint Bowen are going to return as assistants, they both are currently out recruiting. I think everyone agrees Hull needs to stay and I know Bowen hasn’t done great at DC but I think he’s a solid Safeties coach. He had a much better year this season than in the past. I’m fine with him remaining here just not as an DC.

Ugh. I want no part of Bowen staying. We can do better at literally any position on defense than him. I don’t care if he loves KU. I also love KU but shouldn’t be on the coaching staff.

• @Kcmatt7 No links, just what my sources are telling me.

• kjayhawks said:

I think it’s a great hire, I know they didn’t have a great season offensively compared to last season but they had to basically start over up front and still put up better numbers than we did playing in the best division in CFB. I’m being told that both Tony Hull and Clint Bowen are going to return as assistants, they both are currently out recruiting. I think everyone agrees Hull needs to stay and I know Bowen hasn’t done great at DC but I think he’s a solid Safeties coach. He had a much better year this season than in the past. I’m fine with him remaining here just not as an DC.

ya I don’t have any problem with Clint stain on the defensive side somewhere. – That defense kept us in a lot of games this year - - you didn’t see any blowouts at all this year - - -they were put in some bad spots if people couldn’t see improvement then they looking the wrong way.

Is he the DC - possibly not but he should be retain fir some capacity safety coach would be fine. and I think he will be retained in some way. He is out recruiting now with Hull is he was being let go - -I think he would already be gone. - - NOT STILL RECRUITING. - -rock chalk all day long baby

• well looks like Lindsey is already re-connecting with recruits… – Lindsey/KU - -has offered 2020 QB - - - Robby Ashford from Hoover Alabama – has offers from Penn State - - -Georgia - - -Auburn - - & Mississippi State - -sounds like he already had a relationship with him while he was at Auburn -sounds like might be pretty good with those kinds of schools coming after him also. - - ROCK CHALK AL DAY LONG BABY

• @jayballer73 and you were freaked out a few days ago because he hadn’t named his staff yet…lol. feel better now?

• KUSTEVE said:

@jayballer73 and you were freaked out a few days ago because he hadn’t named his staff yet…lol. feel better now?

lol - -much better lol

• jayballer73 said:

well looks like Lindsey is already re-connecting with recruits… – Lindsey/KU - -has offered 2020 QB - - - Robby Ashford from Hoover Alabama – has offers from Penn State - - -Georgia - - -Auburn - - & Mississippi State - -sounds like he already had a relationship with him while he was at Auburn -sounds like might be pretty good with those kinds of schools coming after him also. - - ROCK CHALK AL DAY LONG BABY

Hoover is an elite HS program that typically sends a lot of players to P5 programs.

• Land quality coaches that can get you in recruiting areas unavailable to us before. Lindsey is born and bread out of Alabama. He has coached at several HS in Alabama. He should be able to get us a kid or two each year out of there, I’d expect.

I’m excited to see who’s next on this staff. Les is 2 for 2 in my book.

• Mercy ,I haven’t been so jacked for a season to start - I know crazy , I mean we don’t have any more recruits yet – BUT their there I know it - -I feel it.

Have got the start of the makings of a very good staff - -I’m just sure Tony gonna be here to go with our two other new additions.

So many names being thrown out now about recruits -making this old man’s head spin , where as before it was just a bunch of crickets.

One thing is for sure evident all ready - -Les is working to shut the State down - really getting after these locals. - -Read just a couple of minutes ago that the KU staff was at Lawrence Free State today talking to Keenan Garber . and he is suppose to visit KU this weekend - would be great to get him to flip - -then there is Russell too.

Another recruit they offered is Valerian Agbaw 3 * Wide Receiver from Powder Springs Georgia.

This recruiting and where we are recruiting going to become ALOT more interesting. Hitting Louisiana - - - Alabama - - -Texas - -all Football recruiting hotbeds - -pull some guys from those area’s - -plus working our home state a lot more – things about to change boys. - - -ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• Les doing work to flip these kids

• I’m curious, is flipping commits a common acceptable practice in college football?

• @approxinfinity its ruthless and fair game until they’re on campus

• approxinfinity said:

I’m curious, is flipping commits a common acceptable practice in college football?

Yes. Totally different from basketball. A kid giving his verbal really only means you’re still in it until he signs his LOI. It’s fairly common for kids committed to one school flip to another on signing day. I remember one dude even having a signing ceremony and then faxed his letter to a different school. If folks think basketball is corrupt, my goodness.

• approxinfinity said:

I’m curious, is flipping commits a common acceptable practice in college football?

Unfortunately yes. It’s out of hand

• @approxinfinity @Kcmatt7 @BeddieKU23 @FarmerJayhawk

The thing that makes fb flipping more acceptable to me than bb is that schools are also more willing to withdraw offers to someone who doesn’t sign yet. The SEC has tried to address another practice called greyshirting that, I think but am not sure, asked a kid to defer enrolling until the spring semester so they can have schollie room to bring him on after someone else leaves in fall or doesn’t qualify. Too often, a greyshirted player waited and then there actually wasn’t a spot available, and by then other schools had none either (and little interest in likely 2nd or 3rd string guys who sat out a year).

I think the SEC may have done something like count all scholarships whenever the kid would start, but I cannot recall. Someone please correct me if I screwed up on this!

So, kids not signing and flipping are really just levelling the bumpy field.

• @mayjay

I find myself disinterested in fb recruiting a lot of times because there seems to be zero loyalty in this whole process. It’s a business, of course, and both sides recognize that fact. The resources that College Football coaches get for recruiting must be borderline insane. Having followed the fb recruiting scene for years as my favorite team (not KU) is always knee deep in crootin’ you see all highs and lows of a program daily, monthly, yearly. There are people who have jobs just reporting recruiting news, its big business.

• Football recruiting is chaos because there are so many guys. Most every school will sign at least 17 or 18 players, and the vast majority sign over 20 each year.

Generally, each school has one or two guys that don’t qualify for one reason or another. That doesn’t happen as often in basketball because you’re dealing with a much smaller population of people. Almost as many guys will sign to play football at P5 schools as will go D1 in basketball total (roughly 1300 P5 football recruits each year vs. about 1350 for D1 basketball). With so many guys out there, switching at the last minute is common.

Sometimes, its because a guy gets recruited over. In basketball, that may not be a big deal because if a top prospect comes in, he may be gone after one year. But if you get recruited over in football, you’re stuck behind a guy for three years. You may never see the field.

Coaching changes, especially with playing style changes, affect that as well. If you’re a FB and you sign with a school, then they bring in an air raid coach, well, you’re probably screwed. Might as well go to a different school. Same thing if you are a NT and a school switches to a 4-3 and you don’t have the speed to move off the nose. Maybe one coach sees you as a corner, while another wants you at safety.

Football recruits also generally form their biggest relationship with their position coach. Position coaches tend to move around quite a bit more than hoops assistants, so guys might be more inclined to follow the guy that actually recruited them (position coach) than the head coach.

• How about Urban Meyer for Co head coach? I know it will never happen, but goodness, why the heck not?

• Just heard that Urban Meyer is now in talks with K-State. Good friends with their chancellor.

• @HighEliteMajor

That would be huge if it happens; it certainly place the state of Kansas smack in the epicenter of football seismic activity. The question is…would KSU be a temporary stopover, ala Huggy, to get back in good graces with the football powers that be and a stepping stone to a better program or a semi permanent destination?

• @JayHawkFanToo It would … but I’m just kidding around. A KSU buddy of mine is a lurker here and I just wanted to prompt a text from him with his hopes up and all of that. Sorry about the #fakenews. And he did text me so mission accomplished.

• @HighEliteMajor

OK. I am not sure the state can support two quality programs at the same time. Their 15 minutes of fame or Decade of Dominance or whatever they called it are gone and now the pendulum has swung back to KU.

• HighEliteMajor said:

@JayHawkFanToo It would … but I’m just kidding around. A KSU buddy of mine is a lurker here and I just wanted to prompt a text from him with his hopes up and all of that. Sorry about the #fakenews. And he did text me so mission accomplished.

WELL DONE - -WLL DONE in deed lmao - - have you ever heard the saying " my job is done here lol " - - that’s for you -bet your friend was P - - - - - when you told him the truth - -very nice. - - day is off to a great start. - -Good ol Kensucky lost - -Marsha got the hell kicked out of him - - -and you got to make your ol K-straight boy look like a fool - - lmao. - - Could it get any better then this? - - -ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• Going to be DJ Eliot as DC barring something weird happening at the last minute. Previous stops at Rice, FSU, Kentucky, and most recently was DC at Colorado.

• FarmerJayhawk said:

kjayhawks said:

Ugh. I want no part of Bowen staying. We can do better at literally any position on defense than him. I don’t care if he loves KU. I also love KU but shouldn’t be on the coaching staff.

CHANGE THE CULTURE.

Bowen has to go. Period.

• wissox said:

How about Urban Meyer for Co head coach? I know it will never happen, but goodness, why the heck not?

Even if it were possible it gets a hell no from me. He is a bad human being.

• BShark said:

FarmerJayhawk said:

kjayhawks said:

CHANGE THE CULTURE.

Bowen has to go. Period.

He’s not sticking around. Hasn’t been recruiting at all since Miles got the job. Telling Hull has been on the trail.

• That Les Miles is a thinker. Jeff Long too. Love it.

• Reports are coming in that former Colorado and Kentucky DC D.J. Eliot has been hired to be the DC here at Kansas. I don’t think this is a big name hire and a lot of people are questioning it at this point. He really didn’t do great at Colorado but he was solid in helping turn around Kentucky. I also think he inherits more talent at KU for next season than he had at Colorado, which we all know you can’t win the Kentucky Derby on a donkey.

• kjayhawks said:

Reports are coming in that former Colorado and Kentucky DC D.J. Eliot has been hired to be the DC here at Kansas. I don’t think this is a big name hire and a lot of people are questioning it at this point. He really didn’t do great at Colorado but he was solid in helping turn around Kentucky. I also think he inherits more talent at KU for next season than he had at Colorado, which we all know you can’t win the Kentucky Derby on a donkey.

I think just because he’s relatively anonymous. He does have a very impressive resume. Played at Wyoming, had stops at Texas State and Rice, then promoted to FSU, UK, and then CU all by age 40. We know he’ll immediately be able to recruit Texas. Also a 3-4 guy, which you need to be in this conference now. I think it’s a solid B hire, with potential to get better. His DL coach at CU is also from NOLA…

• Les just keeps bringing in guys who can recruit. Good hire. No complaints.

• We just hired Emmett Jones as WR coach, Jones has spent the past 3 season as an outside receivers coach at Texas Tech. Looks like another solid hire.

• ABSOLUTELY LOVE THE WR COACH HIRE. HELL YES. CROOOOOOOOTIN.

• Yea dude was landing like 4 or 5 guys a year at Tech. Great hire.

• BShark said:

ABSOLUTELY LOVE THE WR COACH HIRE. HELL YES. CROOOOOOOOTIN.

HUGE - - HUGE – HIRE - - Emmit Jones - - -major , major big time recruiter and he is a stud in the Dallas Texas area - -radio said could already be paying dividends . - - -Stephan Parker a 4 * receiver had committed to Texas Tech – - Now Kingsbury - -is gone – Jones is gone - -very quite possible flip - for us - - sit back and see if we get in the mix - - like our chances.

Coach Miles has put together a hell of a staff. - -ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• Question? - -When is the LAST time KU has had this kind of Coaching Staff assembled ? - - -Ever ? - - another Question - -when is the last time you have seen this kind of emotion talking about KU football ? - -Ever ? - - - ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• Miles has put together a super solid coaching staff so far and as the saying goes… if you build it they will come…and seems like recruits are now looking at KU as a desirable destination rather than as a last chance stop. We are witnessing the birth of a real football program.

• I’m as excited about this coming football season as I can ever remember - BUT - I hope everyone doesn’t get their hopes too high at least for 2 or 3 seasons (or longer). There’s a very good chance that it’s going to take a while to put together a team that is a real contender.

I’m reminded of a trip to Beaver Lake (Arkansas) this summer. I KNEW my wife, my son and myself were going to be the new world record holders for the largest Striped bass ever known to mankind. Or at least we would catch multiple 20-30 pounders. After all, we hired an experience guide, and we were on one of the best Striper lakes (supposedly) in the country. We started fishing at 7:30 pm and finished about 1:45 am. My wife caught one fish that was 6 or 7 pounds.

I know this all sounds stuipd, but my hopes were SO high and I was SO dejected after that evening. I’ve fished all my life and I know that anyone can get skunked at any time on any body of water, but my hopes were HIGH. Not that I won’t still hope for great things, but my expectations will be more realistic from now on.

• Well sounds like we got an addition to our coaching staff. - -Being reported that Jimmy Brumbaugh is being added as our Defensive Line Coach.

Held same position last at Maryland , and spent 4 years at Kentucky, helped Kentucky get their line improvement - -pulled in some studs some 4 * - to help build Kentucky D-line - -would be sweet. - - ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY