Les Miles Coaching Staff

• @nuleafjhawk Bowl game or guillotine, I say! We are KU! We deserve nothing less!

• Just Announced the hiring of Mike Ekeler as Special Teams Coordinator, He has been everywhere under the sun. The last 2 seasons he was at UNC but has had time at OU, Nebraska, LSU (under Miles), Indiana, USC, North Texas and Georgia. He doesn’t seem to hang around very long but has a experience and has had some solid units.

• @kjayhawks KSU alum. No particular area I can tell he recruited well. But Les must’ve liked him to hire him a 2nd time.

• @Texas-Hawk-10 12-14 UPDATED COACHING LIST

Chip Lindsey-------OC

Chevis Jackson------DBACK

Luke Meadows------OLINE

D J Eliot------DC

Emmett Jones------WR

Kwahn Drake------DLINE

Mike Ekeler-------SPEC TEAMS

Three more positions left. HULL???

• Word is Bowen being kept on as Safties coach.

• Really will piss me off if we keep him. Set yourself up for drama that way.

• And he is a dog shit recruiter.

Only explanation in my mind is that Miles is keeping him to save the $500K buyout.

• Kcmatt7 said:

Word is Bowen being kept on as Safties coach.

I know people have a very strong dislike for him. - - Me ? - -I have no problem with him staying in a limited Capacity.

Whether people like it or not - -His defense was better - -There was a lot of times that Clint’s defense KEPT us in the games. - -Defense was given rotten field position multiple times and people would be thinking well there is a given 7 – Defense would hold up and make the stop. Defense was right there at the top in take aways in the Nation. - -No blow out losses this season. - -so ya I would let wet myself if he was retained -let him Coach the safties - -fine with me. - -ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• My opinion on him staying has nothing to do with whether or not I believe he is capable of performing the job. It is just that it’s time to clean house (outside of Hull). Don’t cause awkwardness for your new DC and the players who may feel some weird loyalty to Bowen.

• Kcmatt7 said:

My opinion on him staying has nothing to do with whether or not I believe he is capable of performing the job. It is just that it’s time to clean house (outside of Hull). Don’t cause awkwardness for your new DC and the players who may feel some weird loyalty to Bowen.

Well looks like Coach Miles is confident enough he will fit with staff - -could very well also be he talked with the DC DJ Elliot and he also put in a favorable word for Bowen. --and felt like they could work together - -ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• I don’t have strong feelings about Bowen other than he’s a bad DC and recruiter. The only reason I’m even kind of ok with him staying (if true) is that it saves a ton of cash that we ended up spending on other assistants. Keep in mind there’s a fixed pool of money Les had to hire assistants. Bowen’s $500k would’ve been dead weight and enough for like 2 other dudes. Instead of not being salary competitive for two spots we bury Bowen at safeties or some minor spot and spend the extra cash on a really good assistant like Drake or Jackson.

• Bowen is more than capable as a position coach. He’s a borderline solid coordinator. As a position coach, he could raise the level of play.

My suspicion is that Hull will coach the RBs and maybe TEs.

Miles has not hired a QB coach yet. That’s still a major hire that he needs to nail if KU is going to turn this around.

LB coach is also still out there, unless someone already on staff is going to oversee them.

Either way, this coaching staff is world’s better than anything KU has had on the sidelines, particularly recently.

• justanotherfan said:

Bowen is more than capable as a position coach. He’s a borderline solid coordinator. As a position coach, he could raise the level of play.

My suspicion is that Hull will coach the RBs and maybe TEs.

Miles has not hired a QB coach yet. That’s still a major hire that he needs to nail if KU is going to turn this around.

LB coach is also still out there, unless someone already on staff is going to oversee them.

Either way, this coaching staff is world’s better than anything KU has had on the sidelines, particularly recently.

Bowen is a bad coordinator. There’s not really much more to it.

Lindsey will coach QB’s, and Eliot will coach ILB’s.

• @FarmerJayhawk - - thing is Clint isn’t going to be the Defensive Coordinator - -he is going to be the safties Coach - -so no reason not to let him be. - - Big difference between the two. - - got to remember that a lot of times during the season this year when other teams went deep on Clint’s secondary - -it WASN’T because of bad coverage - -it was just a matter of being out jumped - -their receivers just reaching over the top of the defense - -all just a matter of a 6’ - -6’1 Defensive back - -battling against a 6’4 – -6’5 receiver - -Clint can’t do anything on that - -he gonna be fine as a safety Coach

• Bowen will stay and coach the safeties and Hull will return to coach RBs. I have no problem with Bowen coaching the safeties, he has done good with the DBs in general in the past and gotten several guys to the next level. I think he was popular with the alumni and has done a good job recruiting. Obviously we all figured Hull was staying and I’m happy he is back. Idk whom it was (and I’m too lazy to look it up lol) that was giving me jazz when I said my sources were saying they both were staying and that I was wrong (usually my sources are right), enjoy crow lol.

• It is official now, Bowen and Hull are staying.

• @Big-Clyde52 ADDED:

Tony Hull-----RB

Clint Bowen------Safeties

• Last one! https://twitter.com/ku_football/status/1075518643998347265?s=21 Hecklinski seems incredibly qualified. Recruiting Coordinator, RB, and WR coach experience at Michigan and SDSU under Hoke and QB/OC experience at Zona. Also coached at Ft. Scott and Benedictine back in the day. Seems like a really good fit. We needed another guy who can get kids in the Midwest IMO.

• FarmerJayhawk said:

Last one! https://twitter.com/ku_football/status/1075518643998347265?s=21 Hecklinski seems incredibly qualified. Recruiting Coordinator, RB, and WR coach experience at Michigan and SDSU under Hoke and QB/OC experience at Zona. Also coached at Ft. Scott and Benedictine back in the day. Seems like a really good fit. We needed another guy who can get kids in the Midwest IMO.

My guess is that Hull ends up as recruiting coordinator, with Hecklinski overseeing the local strategy (Kansas, Kansas City Metro, Iowa, Nebraska, Missouri) while Hull works in the southeast part of the country.

Hull has done the work to deserve the promotion.

• Chip to Troy is done. Paging Fedora and Applewhite.

• That is brutal. Damn.

• To keep our place in the Bowl Playing Schools We HAVE to upgrade Facilities, We may love Old Memorial but it is completely dated. Gut the inside and add some seats. Hire a good recruiter with decent connections as Coach (Ha-we did that) and leave the Big 12. If we were available, the Big 10 would take us. And get rid of the Albatross (KSU)from around our necks.

• @Hula-Hawk https://kuathletics.com/sports/2018/5/7/football-construction-camera.aspx

They’re upgrading the facilities as we speak. The Memorial renovations should take place next.

• I hope so because we have the right Coach for rebuilding. My years of reading people tell me that unless we have good, modern facilities (It can be done-look at Soldier Field in Chicago. We can gut the inside and rebuild the old footprint, add more seating (NOT Benches) and leave the Big 12 for a more receptive Conference (Big 10-with either Oklahoma or even better Mizzou (what a great blessing to have our Border War again) The Big 12 is now a Southern Conference-and we are not a Southern State) Texas ran our old traditional Rivals away. Our future is in and with other Midwest States-not to the South.

• The facilities are no longer an excuse IMO, Miles has got the best of any KU coach in history especially in terms of walking in. The locker rooms are on par with Texas’s brand new ones, the Anderson complex is fairly new and really nice, the practice fields were added after the orange bowl win and soon we will have one of the best indoor practice facilities around. Yes Memorial needs a face lift but we have improved it by removing the chain link fence and track. The real improvements will begin when the improvements start on the field. That place will fill up if we are winning on Saturdays. It has in the past.

• Well just read where we have a new addition to the staff. Keith Belton the assistant Strength and Conditioning Coach from USC - - is coming on board for us.

Belton played football at Syracuse , was a running back - - had a four yr stint in the NFL - before going into the field. other previous stops in College has been at Wake Forrest , Baylor , and Washington. - sounds like pretty popular with players. - USC has taken a huge hit with their strength and Conditioning - -Head Coach left for the Seahawks - now we getting Belton , some of the USC players was even trying to get him hired as the Head Coach for the program Sounds like a nice addition for our program. - -ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY