Poor Silvio

• Fran spins his own narrative all the time. Don’t listen to that old fool.

• @dylans he likes to throw others under the bus

• @FarmerJayhawk so did Chris beard

• I did not hear what Vitale said on air but he tweeted out that it was unfair to Silvio:

https://twitter.com/DickieV/status/1091883252833550337

• Also CBS’s Matt Norlander didn’t agree with the punishment"

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/ncaas-unfair-2-year-suspension-for-silvio-de-sousa-shows-that-players-not-coaches-or-schools-are-treated-harshest/

CJ Moore of the Athletic (pay site) also believed it was way too harsh: https://theathletic.com/796969/2019/02/02/moore-ncaa-should-have-shown-compassion-toward-silvio-de-sousa/

In fact, most of what I saw from the media and their reaction was the unfairness and blatant disregard for the student-athlete the NCAA continues to show.

• @FarmerJayhawk Baloney. We’ll agree to disagree. If the NCAA had tried to claim that a felon ( the Adidas rep ) was not actually working on behalf of Adidas but was a “booster” for KU, they would’ve been laughed off the national stage. Furthermore, the NCAA had all the salient facts for almost a year, yet they didn’t decide anything at all until after we had declared Silvio “ineligible”. If they had all this ammo that your ego is telling you they had, why did they wait until after that? The reason is simple…according to the FBI investigation, we were the victims of a fraud…which is why the only way we could be penalized is if we both declared Silvio ineligible, and that the Adidas rep was not actually a rep, but actually a booster. Now, the NCAA could nail us to the wall, which they did. I don’t want to keep going back and forth with you, since you aren’t even considering what I’m saying. Like I said…we’ll agree to disagree.

• @Bwag Just 180 degrees off.

• @KUSTEVE I think it is very conceivable that the NCAA told Long you have to do A, B, C ,and once we did they used A, B, and C to stab the knife in deep. I’d guess that is why he and Bill reacted so strongly. My hope is there is a way to sue the NCAA in some way and form a new precedent. But I fear that will not save Silvio.

• Usually we don’t see CS make a statement that boldly. Especially against any NCAA decision. I don’t believe we’ve heard the worst of this yet. And I stand with others who agree… Burn it all down. Don’t leave 1 piece of evidence that the NCAA ever existed once it’s over.

If we’re really dirty, and everyone else is too. Take them all down. Take it all down

• FWIW another agreement by a sports media person that the punishment does not fit the “crime”

https://twitter.com/Sam_Vecenie/status/1091475309633757184

https://twitter.com/Sam_Vecenie/status/1091473657493245952

• Anybody who assists in the recruitment of prospective student-athletes is a booster, according to the NCAA definition. Doesn’t matter what their job is, or if their company profits from that decision. Pretty straightforward.

• Fran did not say he approved, only that coaches were not surprised. I think coaches have no illusions about how unfair the NCAA is to athletes.

• @Fightsongwriter That’s exactly what happened. Remember that last year they approved him with the same set of facts. I guess my question is…our AD last year navigated the same slope, and got him approved, and our new NCAA “guru” got the same player suspended for 2 years, and put our results from last year in jeopardy. I understand he brought us Les Miles- no doubt that was a huge get. I just can’t for the life of me understand the lack of common sense when the NCAA asks you to declare the kid ineligible, and asks you to declare a felon incorrectly as a booster, and no alarm bells go off. That would be a guy I want to play poker against. That’s easy money. It’s not like the NCAA could turn around, and declare Silvio ineligible because none of the facts of the case had changed. The only way they could come after him or us is if we had declared him ineligible. And the booster declaration was just absurd. What a steaming pile of stupid that was. No doubt…shame on them for being corrupt liars…but shame on us for being totally ignorant. i have to think that Zenger would’ve smelled that one out from a mile away. Not old Jeff, though.

I like to watch the show " Live PD" because my neighbors to the north ( Pasco County ) are always prominently featured. One of the famous lines you hear again and again is when the cop says " you know, you can really help yourself here by telling me…". Then the suspect always proceeds to bury themselves by rolling over, and telling the cop a whole bunch of incriminating stuff. Jeff reminds me of a Pasco County crack rat after he just incriminated himself.

• KUSTEVE said:

@FarmerJayhawk Baloney. We’ll agree to disagree. If the NCAA had tried to claim that a felon ( the Adidas rep ) was not actually working on behalf of Adidas but was a “booster” for KU, they would’ve been laughed off the national stage. Furthermore, the NCAA had all the salient facts for almost a year, yet they didn’t decide anything at all until after we had declared Silvio “ineligible”. If they had all this ammo that your ego is telling you they had, why did they wait until after that? The reason is simple…according to the FBI investigation, we were the victims of a fraud…which is why the only way we could be penalized is if we both declared Silvio ineligible, and that the Adidas rep was not actually a rep, but actually a booster. Now, the NCAA could nail us to the wall, which they did. I don’t want to keep going back and forth with you, since you aren’t even considering what I’m saying. Like I said…we’ll agree to disagree.

You’re right. I’m not considering it because it’s not accurate. The NCAA has a definition of a booster (https://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/Booster Guidelines with definitions.pdf if you’re interested) and they could determine with or without KU’s cooperation (see Self’s texts to Gassnola) that Gassnola was a. known to KU and b. influenced and/or facilitated Silvio coming to KU. In which case KU’s cooperation is completely irrelevant. KU had to declare Silvio ineligible in order for him to play this year. Full stop.

An enforcement investigation is a different matter from the NCAA’s point of view than an eligibility investigation. Hence Silvio was free and clear last year, not this year, and KU is probably ok since they explicitly did NOT admit Gassnola was a booster for the purposes of an enforcement matter, just the eligibility review, which are conducted by totally different people. If you’re saying KU should’ve just cut Silvio loose when they found out something could possibly be amiss that’s one thing.

KU also was not aware of the shady stuff with Silvio’s guardian when he was cleared last year. Otherwise the NCAA would’ve never cleared him. I for one want an AD that goes to bat for its student-athletes, especially when the NCAA is obviously so far from reality. If they want to vacate half our last season for playing a player the NCAA and we determined was eligible, fine. They’d better be prepared to vacate half of teams seasons going back to John MF’ing Wooden.

• @FarmerJayhawk Great post. I’m probably barking up the wrong tree then, if the NCAA could’ve done this at any time. I was thinking Long’s actions were the lightening bolt that caused it. I just can’t figure out why the NCAA would ask us to declare Silvio ineligible, and the Adidas bag man a booster in the first place. Isn’t that walking us to the slaughterhouse?

• KUSTEVE said:

@FarmerJayhawk Great post. I’m probably barking up the wrong tree then, if the NCAA could’ve done this at any time. I was thinking Long’s actions were the lightening bolt that caused it. I just can’t figure out why the NCAA would ask us to declare Silvio ineligible, and the Adidas bag man a booster in the first place. Isn’t that walking us to the slaughterhouse?

Never work with the NCAA is the answer.

• The NCAA is traveling a slippery slope at this point with coming down hard on some while ignoring other obvious infractions. Over half of the Billions that they take in each year is made in the NCAA Men’s Basketball Tournament. If it turns into a who can rat whom out fest, there won’t many teams able to play in it. A former D1 assistant was on ESPN radio a few years back, guy had worked his way up from small schools and D2 to a Mid major D1 program. He said that if any coach said there was “free” recruit he was flat out a liar.

• @BShark Yahtsee. I don’t begrudge Long trying to help one of our athletes in any way. But, the bottom line is going to be the results. After I thought about, it occurred to me that I was selling Long’s ability to facilitate way short, and i was looking for a villain other than the NCAA. No way would Long have complied with the NCAA request without the express consent of our Hall Of Fame Coach. I’m sure they weighed the possible downsides, looked at other recent similar situations, and concluded it was worth the risk. And they pushed all in. I can’t fault them for trying everything possible, but I can fault them for ever trusting the NCAA. So, I’ll cede our side a “shame on them” without the hypercritical review. No doubt this entire episode feeds my worst fears about the NCAA … 2 years suspension. Sexton gets a game.

Dropping the RPI for a new cockamamie rating system that had us rated 20th BEFORE we lost to Tucky and Tejas. And that’s with the number 1 RPI rating, the 3rd hardest non-conference schedule in the country, the number 1 overall most difficult schedule in the country, and 3 wins against the current Top 10, including the only team to beat number 1 Tennessee … my inner “jaybate” is going off the Ricter scale. The powers that be in college basketball don’t seem to be doing us any favors.

• @KUSTEVE They prob jsut made the new system because people were tired of us getting a 1 seed lol.

• I suppose it’s good that opposing coaches and the commentators are getting on the NCAA about the ruling.

• https://twitter.com/kcstar/status/1094292854476808192?s=21

I tend to lean towards what Sam is saying here, which is not good.

• @Woodrow then don’t lean that way🤣 speculation, Kc star🕳

• Big Dave working hard!

• @Crimsonorblue22 Sam is pretty fair. He’s a damn good writer too.

• @Crimsonorblue22 - I was unable to catch the game today. How did Big Dave look on the court?

• @Gorilla72 got some boards, didn’t really screw up, 2pts? Had a hard time scoring. Played smoother! Not so herky jerky. Didn’t play as much 2nd half. Think we all saw why he isn’t playing as much, but he got some good minutes!

• @Gorilla72

Definitely did what we needed. He is so sped up still. Rebounded, blocked a shot, effort is never a question. Didnt get in foul trouble. Mitch stepped up huge

• Does anyone know and or seen if KU has actually submitted the appeal for Silvio. I know when Mizzou appealed their sanctions that their AD sent a tweet out and announced it. I just haven’t seen or read anything about Silvio’s.

Also, this might be over thinking it but I wonder if the school was waiting for the sentences for the men involved in all of this. Those guys got 6 and 9 months. The school could then say it is insane that while Silvio is not in jail he is basically serving a 24 month sentence… Like I said I am probably over analyzing it, but I guess anything in the shit show is possible.

• If they have submitted an appeal, we underlings will never know. KU has been very secretive about this kind of thing previously. Self talks in riddles. I speculate he’s here for this year to keep the program’s grades in good standing, then gone.

• jayhawkcsg said:

If they have submitted an appeal, we underlings will never know. KU has been very secretive about this kind of thing previously. Self talks in riddles. I speculate he’s here for this year to keep the program’s grades in good standing, then gone.

Self isn’t going anywhere - unless this turns out really bad and the University let’s him go - -other then that = =he is right here