So what’s the formula for a players worth?

• Thoughts … given the lastest news, what’s a player worth ?

Let’s go with the supposition as put forth by a few people here (that I don’t doubt) that all players not just marquee nba-potential Guys who select a top tier program are getting some sort of incentive - is there a formula ? 5 -star ranked high school players or top 50 guys would get say a six figure under-the-table bribe ? Guys 50 thru 100 another starting figure ? Guys who are not in the top 250 don’t get cash but something else ? Do the shoe cos have a working framework of numbers ? Do coaches indicate to a Gassnola type that they really want a certain guy, so don’t be stingy even though he’s 3 -star etc.

Does say a guy like Mitch lightfoot for example, because he was not highly ranked, and has always professed a desire to play his favorite program, not perceived by adidas as as a guy they need to “ incentivize”? Beyond the scholarship? And how does a guy who didn’t get paid feel when he figured out some his teammates did ?

And the players families - at what point do they become aware of this system and who tells them ? When does a shoe Co rep decide to tell a family or a parent that perhaps there could be a “ reward” involved should their son pick a certain school ? That has to a a bit of a delicate dance early on… but seems like plenty of families take the reins early and come up with their own demands and conditions rather than wait for the recruiter or shoCo guy to broach the subject.

How many of KU’s 4-year type players say in the last 20 years, guys who initially weren’t really looked at as nba potential but were the backbone of some of our great teams, were they all offered some sort of illegal payment ?

Just curious is all…

• @Bosthawk

I don’t think its as easy as saying there’s a formula or template used. As you’ve seen with all the stuff from the trial some players had “bidding” wars that upped the price. Generally though the higher ranked players would get the most.

I will share just a few details of the case I mentioned I’m familiar with, regarding a 2019 recruit. There was a bidding war for his services among multiple programs under the same shoe company affiliation. It was just a matter of which deal was the right deal for this player and family. There were short term and long term benefits offered from all in some fashion.

If a family/guardian/handler is involved, more then likely they are approached first. If you want influence over someone’s son, you probably start there. I think it also depends on the player. Did they become recognizable talent early on? Late bloomer? If your child is a HS freshman playing on a high profile AAU team imagine how many events and people cross paths with each other over the course of 3+ years.

To your last point about KU 4 year players. I would put the % at 50% likely, maybe even a low figure. Many 4 year KU players are still Top 100 type recruits.