The Next Coach

• It looks like KU may, for once, be playing this exactly right. They look like they are hiring a HC (and maybe coordinators) that are not currently tied to CFB programs. This means that group may be able to salvage this recruiting class if the hiring happens by Monday. That would be a distraction for the current staff, but honestly, this season is lost anyway, so it makes sense to salvage what you can for the future.

• @BShark Ah, another Scotch digression! We have a cruise scheduled for April. We are signing up for the $25 Macallan Scotch tasting, which acc to reviews includes among the 3 sampled a 30 year I never would, or could, buy.

• @mayjay yeah Macallan is overpriced now but for a tasting like that it’s worth trying.

• The Mike Vernon twitter rampage about Les Miles is just amazing right now.

• Kcmatt7 said:

The Mike Vernon twitter rampage about Les Miles is just amazing right now. Is the rampage tweeting in a good way or bad way as far as Kansas is concerned about Miles?

• Kcmatt7 said:

The Mike Vernon twitter rampage about Les Miles is just amazing right now.

It’s so great having good ku media presence. Gotta try to balance out the mutards and such.

• Halftime of the Basketball Game would be one hell of a way to introduce Miles…

• @Kcmatt7

I still think KU will wait until the last game is played to introduce the new HC and spare Beaty the embarrassment. If KU wanted to announce as soon as one was signed it would not have allowed Beaty to finish the season and would have appointed an interim coach.

• @HighEliteMajor

Not quite…Miles would have gotten an additional $4M for doing nothing, now he has to work to make up that loss.

• @JayHawkFanToo Definitely a reasonable assumption

• @JayHawkFanToo The rumor is that Miles will be hired this weekend along with possibly an offensive and/or defensive coordinators so they can get started on recruiting since there’s a ton of work to do on that front for the new coach to savage something from this class. The rumor is the meeting with Fisch was for a coordinator position under Miles.

None of that is confirmed, but that’s the rumors going around.

• @Texas-Hawk-10

If Miles is hired I would think they would give Beaty the option to leave immediately and have one of the assistants finish the season. It would be very awckward for Beaty to coach with the new coach watching over his shoulders.

• @JayHawkFanToo but, Beaty wants to finish, I think.

• Crimsonorblue22 said:

@JayHawkFanToo but, Beaty wants to finish, I think.

Yes, but I would think this is the case if a new coach has not been hired. Once a new HC is announced/hired it becomes very uncomfortable for Beaty.

• Beaty is coaching for a coordinators job somewhere at this point. He’s not going to be a head coach, but if he shows something in the next couple of weeks, he could find himself a decent landing spot.

As @Texas-Hawk-10 said, the new staff has some significant recruiting work to do. KU is the only school in the country with fewer than 8 commitments for next season. That’s a huge hole to fill. Every second that passes is a wasted opportunity for next season. Whoever gets this job needs to be on the recruiting trail immediately, if not sooner.

• @justanotherfan

Considering the body of work available for Beaty, the last two games are not going to make any difference at all.

• @JayHawkFanToo Miles wouldn’t be in Lawrence though if he’s hired before the season is over. He would be out recruiting instead of in the office. Most players wouldn’t be having much contact with Miles until spring ball anyway because of the rules.

• Twitter is saying the deal is nearly done for Miles.

• justanotherfan said:

Twitter is saying the deal is nearly done for Miles.

It’s been done in principle for awhile now. Only holdups have been LSU’s buyout and the assistant coaching pool.

• alt text

• I’m still shocked. Long was clearly a home run hire. This Girod dude might be ok himself.

• Kcmatt7 said:

I’m still shocked. Long was clearly a home run hire. This Girod dude might be ok himself.

Amazingly huge improvements over the last person at their position for each of them. BGL can burn in hell if that existed.

• Glad to see what sure looks like anyways - with Miles hire. - I’m STILL gonna approach , this at least for awhile with caution.

I’m just tired of getting my hopes up - - , then Weiss, takes a crap on this thing – BOTH his QB’S he got in here - -did the same

I am going to try and temper my expectations - - -hoping people not expecting for him to come in and take us to un-realistic things this 1st year. - -Now if he could come in we win our non con games - get 2-3 wins in the big 12 his 1st year that would be awesome-doubt that will happen.

On another note wondering now - -with Les coming aboard and possibly Tony stayin on board - -wonder if Pooka STAYS in stead of transferring like the rumor has been. – then also would be kind of nice if they could get Fisch as the OC - -maybe that’s why long might of been talking to him in Colorado - -would be a nice stat. - -ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• BShark said:

Kcmatt7 said:

I’m still shocked. Long was clearly a home run hire. This Girod dude might be ok himself.

Amazingly huge improvements over the last person at their position for each of them. BGL can burn in hell if that existed.

Academically Bernie was really good, but most don’t really care about how KU does as a university as long as they win.

• @JayHawkFanToo No, you miss the point. You said he took a big cut and thus he would get a big signing bonus. I said that is not needed.

Of course he has to work. And he obviously wants to work. So he gets what he wants.

But that isn’t the point. He is in a better position. He will get a guaranteed deal that far exceeds what he was guaranteed before. So the contract replaces what he gave up and more. Plus he got $1.5 million essentially for free.

• FarmerJayhawk said:

BShark said:

Kcmatt7 said:

Academically Bernie was really good, but most don’t really care about how KU does as a university as long as they win.

Fair point. It felt like she almost had a disdain for athletics.

• @BShark BGL came from UNC while all the academic fraud stuff was going on. Wouldn’t really blame her for having a disdain for KU athletics considering most of the fraud at UNC involved the basketball program and their coach was here before UNC.

• @HighEliteMajor

Hard to tell considering we don’t even know what his contract with KU is or will be or if there will even be one.

He was due $5.5M and he had to do absolutely nothing to get it and settled for $1.5, so he gave up $4M so he can go to work with a chance to make up the $4M and hopefully more. I will guess that his signing bonus will compensate for the $4M he gave up.

• @JayHawkFanToo His salary here will likely be in the $3-4 million per year range, possibly more. He’ll make that money back in 2 seasons tops and he will be here at least that long.

• Channel 5 in KC saying the contract with Miles is a done deal quoting Sports Illustrated. It also indicated that Miles would only work with an AD he trusted and ours just earned his salary in spades. Sound like it is finally happening…

• Texas Hawk 10 said:

@JayHawkFanToo His salary here will likely be in the $3-4 million per year range, possibly more. He’ll make that money back in 2 seasons tops and he will be here at least that long.

Accurate. I think the base will be 3.5 with some incentives that could bump it over 4.

Yep, it’s all but wrapped. I expect them to finish the deal tomorrow or Sunday with an intro Monday.

• @JayHawkFanToo Here it is:

https://www.si.com/college-football/2018/11/16/les-miles-kansas-hiring-head-coach-contract

Includes an interesting review of Miles coaching–and acting!–careers

• @JayHawkFanToo I’m sorry, I just don’t think you’re tracking. If he wanted to, he could sit on his butt and get $6.5 million. He didn’t want to sit on his butt.

So, he gets $1.5 million and a contract of likely 5 years, $3.5 million per year. Or $17.5. million guaranteed. His LSU deal would have paid him another $5 million by 2023. Or a total of $6.5 by 2023.

He would be owed by KU that full $17.5 million by close of 2023 under this scenario. So he gets the $5 million he left at LSU plus an additional $12.5, plus the $1.5 million for closing the LSU deal.

This is not “hard to tell.” This concept happens all the time with coaches. The numbers just change with each deal.

• @HighEliteMajor

We are looking at it from a different perspective, that’s all.

• poster talking on another site mentioned that there is a flight leaving at 7:10 a.m leaving from Raleigh Durham to Topeka Regional landing at 9;21 a.m. – hmmm sounds like this COUD BE the day maybe? - -TiM Brando sure sounded like that Today might be the day , friend of Les.- -we shall see. - Really proud of these guys last night.

I know it doesn’t make any difference just simply want to say ya Coach has to go , but so proud how classy he has remained - -he truly does love this KU program just in over his head. No doubt this team has improved just missed some opportunities good guy, - -and to those who says didn’t use Pooka enough , well he sure did last night. - - Pooka ran for 252 yards - – caught numerous passes - - – threw for a touchdown - -and to cap it off returned kick off’s - -how else could he get him involved? - -IF Les is the Coach- - -man he better sit down with Pooka - - he better make a serious effort to keep Tony - -keep the boot fully intact with this program – ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• Haha I told a few of my KSU buddies that KU had hired Les Miles. Apparently they didn’t know. You should’ve seen the look of fear and confusion in their eyes!

Now they know so they can come up with ammo, but for now they are scared silent. Really it was a nice birthday bonus for me yesterday!

• Les has ARRIVED - - seen the plane come in out at Forbes this morning - right about close to 10 – -seen him get off the plane - - KU picked him up - - LES IS HERE ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY - -the time has come

• Yep. Presser today.

• BShark said:

Yep. Presser today.

would love to be able to hear what he has to say. Just don’t know what time or if they carrying it