New 2019 Recruiting

• Carte’Are Gordon ended up at Depaul. LOL

• Sounds like Hurt is having a monster season

Matthew Hurt had some huge performances last week. Hurt finished with 43 points and 17 rebounds in an 88-67 road win over Albert Lea on Tuesday. Hurt followed that up by leading all scorers with 44 points, 23 rebounds, and four assists in Friday night’s win over Century. The five-star forward capped of his week with 23 points and 17 rebounds in Saturday night’s 76-50 win over Owatonna.

• I hate to ask this but I was hoping for some help on getting a recap on the 2019 recruiting situation:

In short, we have McBride and Braun signed. Hurt is the only viable option…correct?

I’m looking at next year and I’m anticipating no one transfers and Dedric is the only professional:

starters: Dotson, Grimes, Agbaji, Doke, Garrett

bench: mitch, KJ, chuck, silvio, Big Mac, Mcbride, Braun and one open scholly if Hurt doesn’t sign.

• @bmensch1

Feel free to ask all the questions you want.

KU is actively recruiting Hurt (as you stated above), Cassius Stanley & Precious Achiuwa. Hurt is supposed to visit KU officially in February, Stanley already OV’d is still sitting on his Top 3 - KU, Oregon, UCLA. Achiuwa has repeatedly said KU is recruiting him hard but he hasn’t officially visited either and has slow played his recruitment.

Hurt is still the most viable option if Dedric does go pro. It’s too early to say what Silvio and Doke will do. Silvio’s situation is still up in the air. Doke is injured and most likely won’t be 100% in time to do any workouts/combine stuff. Both could return as you predict. That would complicate landing an elite big man such as Hurt or Achiuwa.

I think we’ll see at least one transfer (Charlie, KJ) or surprise draft decision. Still too early on Grimes especially if he impresses in March.

If Dedric goes pro and Silvio doesn’t return landing Hurt would be crucial.

• @bmensch1 I would not be shocked to see Moore and/or KJ defect. In theory, KJ could grad transfer after this season to a place he’ll actually get some PT. It’'s his 4th year in college this season. So I sort of expect him and Self to have a conversation at year’s end and come to a mutual decision to part ways. I don’t know Moore’s options, but I’d say his time at KU is likely over after the season as well. He’s no better than a 100+ ranked freshman PG. Probably worse.

So I sort of expect us to have three scholarships to fill.

• I think we see the staff turn the heat up on Enaruna in the Spring. Sherfield is available again as of yesterday. Seems like an easy take at this point. I expect recruiting to heat up here over the next month.

• @Kcmatt7

Enaruna is an intriguing player. I would expect we look at him more in the spring if there is an actual need for a wing/forward.

Agree on Charlie. With McBride coming in that could push him out mutually. Also good point on KJ, he could be graduating this spring and with Ochai’s emergence and going forward won’t be surprised.

• Only way KJ would transfer is if Dedric goes pro. I don’t see Dedric leaving early though so I don’t see KJ transferring out. I could see Moore transfer though I think it could also be possible he waits a year to be a grad transfer.

I also don’t see Doke coming back. At this point, I think it would be in his best interest to start his pro career ASAP so he can make some money because if he suffers another major injury next year, he may not have a pro future anywhere.

The new development with Silvio is the wild card right now. If he’s ruled eligible, having Silvio and Dedric would take some pressure off of Hurt to be an instant impact player if he comes to KU.

• BeddieKU23 said:

Carte’Are Gordon ended up at Depaul. LOL

🤣

• @Texas-Hawk-10 I think you have Doke and Dedric backwards, personally.

It makes sense to me for Doke to stay here and get a degree and rehab. He’s so young that his stock will basically remain unchanged and he has a backup plan in case of injury.

Dedric on the other hand, has proven what he can do and will have 4 years of school and a degree under his belt after this season. Might as well just go pro. How does staying benefit Dedric?

• Kcmatt7 said:

@bmensch1 I would not be shocked to see Moore and/or KJ defect. In theory, KJ could grad transfer after this season to a place he’ll actually get some PT. It’'s his 4th year in college this season. So I sort of expect him and Self to have a conversation at year’s end and come to a mutual decision to part ways. I don’t know Moore’s options, but I’d say his time at KU is likely over after the season as well. He’s no better than a 100+ ranked freshman PG. Probably worse.

So I sort of expect us to have three scholarships to fill.

Kcmatt7 said:

I think we see the staff turn the heat up on Enaruna in the Spring. Sherfield is available again as of yesterday. Seems like an easy take at this point. I expect recruiting to heat up here over the next month.

I’d take Sherfield over Moore in a heartbeat. Moore obviously sucks (and sucked at Cal despite some of his numbers). Neither would be a big factor next year most likely (as Agbaji shows you never know) but worst case you stash Sherfield on the bench to develop for a year.

How aggressive KU is in recruiting will say a lot about who the staff expects to leave/stay.

BeddieKU23 said:

@Kcmatt7

Enaruna is an intriguing player. I would expect we look at him more in the spring if there is an actual need for a wing/forward.

Agree on Charlie. With McBride coming in that could push him out mutually. Also good point on KJ, he could be graduating this spring and with Ochai’s emergence and going forward won’t be surprised.

True that McBride could already be enough to push Charlie out. Especially if Dotson AND Grimes stay (I still have my doubts about this).

Agree on Enaruna. Solid prospect but if KU still has Agbaji, KJ and Garrett all around, I don’t see it being worthwhile for either side.

I think KJ and Dedric are tied together and I do believe that it could be very mutually beneficial for Dedric to return. I will say it again though, recruiting actions will tell the tale.

• @Kcmatt7 Doke is a still projected as a mid 2nd round pick. Another major injury and he’s not sniffing the NBA even at his age. Dedric will be a late 2nd round/undrafted guy whether he leaves this year or next. Doke has a lot more to lose potentially by coming back than Dedric does.

• Do we, well not me, know much about these wrist injuries? We hear about big men and their feet problems. Just seems strange that I have not heard about them and doke has had both of them. I know they didn’t happen while he was dunking, but could they be weakened due to him doing that all the time, plus hanging there? Would that have anything to do w/his poor throw shooting? Perhaps a stretch there?🤔

• @Crimsonorblue22 A lot of it depends in how his ligaments heal and if there are any complications with that. The much more concerning issue Inwould have with Doke long term is his back and ankles. Once you sprain an ankle, it becomes much easier to do again and Doke said he was having back issues last season which is highly concerning for someone his age because of his size. It likely means he’ll have significant back issues fairly early in his career/life which could derail his career.

• Do we want Dedric and doke back?

• Crimsonorblue22 said:

Do we want Dedric and doke back?

I’d take them both back in a heartbeat

• @Crimsonorblue22 I’d take both of them back in a heartbeat if that’s what they choose to do.

If I’m giving them NBA advice though, I would advise Doke to leave while he still has NBA prospects. With Dedric, I would advise him that his draft status wouldn’t change if he left early or stayed another year. I would ask him how much he wants to win a national title, how much he enjoys Kansas, and how much he enjoys playing with his brother. Next season would his last opportunity to play with KJ in all likelihood. KU would also be a pretty strong title contender next season with this group if they only lose Vick from this core next season.

I would tell Doke to leave and Dedric that he should base his decision on how much he enjoys the college experience and playing with KJ.

• Anthony Edwards will officially visit February 9

• @Woodrow

Getting his free ones out the way

• Woodrow said:

Anthony Edwards will officially visit February 9

Will his residuals from ER and Top Gun cause amateur issues?

0_1547958039578_gal_topgun_edwards.jpg

• Woodrow said:

Anthony Edwards will officially visit February 9

That’s about the same time Hurt is suppose to be visiting I believe - - think we have a game then not sure who we are playing - -so could be hurt and Edwards the same time

• Okie state

• Looks like Stanley is announcing on April 17th. So still a ways to go in his recruitment.

• Long way to wait to announce your not leaving the west

• Woodrow said:

Looks like Stanley is announcing on April 17th. So still a ways to go in his recruitment.

ya little ways. - -Like I was saying earlier though. I would think if Quentin comes back next year which at this point I think he absolutely should - -if he indeed does that then that would pretty well take care of Stanley committing here I would think. - -Wouldn’t you think so ? - -ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• Where’s Q gonna go juco ?!? 😂 The kid’s hardly ready for NCAA let alone the NBA. I hope that delusion has left his skull, but you never know.

• @dylans

He certainly needs an off-season with hudy and skill development for this level. Looks lost on how to contribute.

• they were talking last night about his body chemistry - -might have some kind of difference of opinion or a situation going on here , might be he thought this was going to be a piece of cake and thinks he should STILL be getting major minute. - -what’s happening is that he is getting more bench time. - -some unsettled issues possibly

• @jayballer73

I think Grimes had to get to this low in order for Self to pick him back up. Whatever frustrations he had last night I’m sure are self inflicted from not doing what he knows he’s capable of. I have a hard time believing its something else. He just looks like he’s having a hard time under pressure and living up to expectations from himself, his coaches, his family and friends. We forget these kids are young, Q is only 18. I have been hard on him but its because I know he’s capable of more. I was hard on Vick last season and Selden the season before that for the same reasons.

• @jayballer73 I thing it would depend on whether Stanley is afraid of competition or not. If he does not believe he can come in and beat someone out, he needs to stay away. Hurt is the one I want, especially if DLawson leaves. We will be in a world of hurt in the paint. No pun intended.

• @BShark So he’s saying this is how to budget buying recruits?

• FWIW, KU feels better about its chances with Precious than most realize.

• FarmerJayhawk said:

FWIW, KU feels better about its chances with Precious than most realize.

I think we are in a better position with Stanley then a lot of people think - -It really has come down to KU/Oregon. - -Read an article on it yesterday - -at the moment can’t remember where it was at - BUT ya UCLA was major in it BEFORE the Alford thing now – not so much.

The one thing that is concerning though is he said that KU said he would step in right after Grimes - - well if Grimes comes back - -that takes care of that selling point. - -ROCK CHALK ALL THE TIME BABY

• FarmerJayhawk said:

Thanks, good news. Been a big fan of this one and seen him play a few times.

• FarmerJayhawk said:

If he ended up in Lawrence that would be a game changer. I think he’d be really exciting as a 4 under Self.

• Has he listed his finalists? - -do we know if he has taken any visits ? - who is the finalists? - I thought he was thinking about just working on possibly going to the NBA ? – would for sure be a nice get. – ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• @FarmerJayhawk I saw where Self and Norm were going to see him tonight.

• heard and saw where we picked up a CB for Hurt today - – ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• also read where possibly Isaiah Todd could possibly be re-classifying , and there is a chance that he will be at Kentucky for the KU-Kentucky game this weekend 5 Star recruit that KU is in on the # 13 recruit right now - -and Kentucky hadn’t offered yet but they going to - -at Present according to 247 UNC is leading then KU - -so and were off - -the recruiting heatin up is of and running.- -Man if he re-classified we sure could use him ourself. - - ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• Todd is reaaaaally good.

• BShark said:

Todd is reaaaaally good.

ya from everything I have read/heard - -gonna be a dog fight - go figure UK recruiting him now

• jayballer73 said:

also read where possibly Isaiah Todd could possibly be re-classifying , and there is a chance that he will be at Kentucky for the KU-Kentucky game this weekend 5 Star recruit that KU is in on the # 13 recruit right now - -and Kentucky hadn’t offered yet but they going to - -at Present according to 247 UNC is leading then KU - -so and were off - -the recruiting heatin up is of and running.- -Man if he re-classified we sure could use him ourself. - - ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

KU is going to run the race with Todd but I think the chances of getting him are slim. Plan A is to get at least 2/5 of Dedric/Doke/Silvio/Hurt/Precious.

• FarmerJayhawk said:

jayballer73 said:

also read where possibly Isaiah Todd could possibly be re-classifying , and there is a chance that he will be at Kentucky for the KU-Kentucky game this weekend 5 Star recruit that KU is in on the # 13 recruit right now - -and Kentucky hadn’t offered yet but they going to - -at Present according to 247 UNC is leading then KU - -so and were off - -the recruiting heatin up is of and running.- -Man if he re-classified we sure could use him ourself. - - ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

KU is going to run the race with Todd but I think the chances of getting him are slim. Plan A is to get at least 2/5 of Dedric/Doke/Silvio/Hurt/Precious.

looking at those options I’ve got to say - - -I just don’t see much of any way of the 1st three. - - Dedric will NOT be back period - - - Doke gains nothing from coming back mainly because him improving his draft status enough for the NBA is highly unlikely on top of the fact of risking of yet ANOTHER injury where it might risk any chance of the NBA period. - the only reason for him to come back would be to just get his degree - -plain and simple his chances in the NBA are - -NOT very good - -he NBA game is old school pretty much non exsistent he has NO shot unless he flushes , he is not the modern NBA 5. - - Silvio - - na - -he won’t be back - - thanks - NCAA wasted his entire season - -I think he will end up with the train of Thought - - ( I’M Out and I wouldn’t blame him one bit- - -pretty much waste of time for him - -and then when they finally rule good chance he is found ineligible anyways.

That more then likely hopefully leaves us with Hurt - -probably the best chance - -probably the only chance of this group. - -ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• FarmerJayhawk said:

If plan A hits, KU should be pretty good next year. If I could pick I’d take Silvio and Hurt.

• Just saw that the McD’s All American game is coming up. How long has it been since KU has not had a future player in this game? I feel like we have at least one commit every single year.

• Did I read where one of the Blue Valley schools Coach was coaching in that game?? Anyone else see that ?

• Woodrow said:

Did I read where one of the Blue Valley schools Coach was coaching in that game?? Anyone else see that ?

Correct.

• @joeloveshawks

Definitely feels odd. We still have a good chance with two prospects in the game. You will not be disappointed by the two commits that didnt make the game, they are both gamers

• It is a little strange not to have a jayhawk in the game, but I think KU is on the radar for a couple guys in it. Recruiting doesn’t look so hot right now for us, 2 guys signed and the highest rated is at 95th in the country. Robinson-Earl, I think will be a big loss if Dedric leaves. We do have some good young guys in Dotson, Grimes, David and Ochai that are probably big factors for at least next years team. But with the chance of losing both Doke and Dedric fairly high IMO, I’d like to see us sign a big guy or 2. I think the FBI probe is hurting us in that regard, recruits maybe waiting to see if we get a post season ban. Which is highly unlikely looking at how Hernandez didn’t cause Miami any ban or to vacate wins tho he more than likely got paid to play last year. Arizona doesn’t seem to be slowing down after the supposed tape of Miller talking about giving 100k to Ayton. Maybe the tape doesn’t exist but it still baffles me than no Nike team is being looked at tho several including Ok State, Arizona and Duke were in reports.