New 2019 Recruiting

• Update: Precious Achiuwa changed schools and was a surprise visitor at Memphis for their Late Night festivities. Andrew Slater put in a Crystal Ball pick for Memphis.

• @BeddieKU23 Penny is definitely making waves. Time will tell if he can coach or not.

• He may very well put together something of a fab 5…

• BShark said:

@BeddieKU23 Penny is definitely making waves. Time will tell if he can coach or not.

Got lucky with a veteran team this season.

• Update: Matthew Hurt canceled plans to attend Big Blue Madness. Reports of him going were false. Still plans to visit them at some point

• Update: Zeke Nnaji: Wants to be a OAD according to quoted article

Nnaji moving toward decision Four-star power forward Zeke Nnaji is someone who has had a busy process, but now he is finishing things with a kick as he is set to take five official visits in five weeks.

The two schools that seemingly had the best chance going into the visits, Arizona and Kansas, are also the schools he is visiting first.

This creates a scenario where it is at least possible that Nnaji could commit after this weekend. Since Nnaji visited Kansas this past weekend, and is visiting Arizona this weekend, that has to at least be considered a possibility.

It seems as though it is a fairly remote possibility since the Nnaji family has been all about process, and the process is to take five visits and then decide in November.

Because the circle around Nnaji is so tight, getting concrete information isn’t easy, but there is no doubt Arizona and Kansas are schools he is very high on. Both head coaches at those schools have done a good job of building a relationship, and each seems to provide Nnaji with what he is looking for.

Nnaji is absolutely focused on being in school for one year, so the path presented to him and his father will be important in that regard.

• I think they are going to be in for a rude awakening. He is plenty athletic enough to be a OAD. But he is like really bad at basketball lol. He has no left. His shooting form has a little hitch to it and his elbow is a little funky. He doesn’t look to have good enough post moves to score at the college level.

He has about a 5% chance to be a OAD imo. And that is if he works his ass off.

• Kcmatt7 said:

I think they are going to be in for a rude awakening. He is plenty athletic enough to be a OAD. But he is like really bad at basketball lol. He has no left. His shooting form has a little hitch to it and his elbow is a little funky. He doesn’t look to have good enough post moves to score at the college level.

He has about a 5% chance to be a OAD imo. And that is if he works his ass off.

Yeah I found the comments confusing. Nnaji is definitely a NBA talent down the road, I’m just surprised they see it so soon. He is a talent that’s improved a ton in the last year. They must be banking on him continuing to improve at a rapid rate…

• I mean what kid doesn’t want to be OAD??

• Much less interested in Nnaji if he and his dad think he is OAD. Not very realistic, imo.

• Woodrow said:

I mean what kid doesn’t want to be OAD??

Issac McBride, David McCormack, Mitch Lightfoot, Ochai Agbaji.

But I get your point lol.

• Zeke and JRE are both visiting Arizona this weekend. I believe this is JRE last visit.

• Correct.

• Woodrow said:

I mean what kid doesn’t want to be OAD??

The sad truth is that prospects have now become pretty much hired guns and they do not even hide that fact. Universities were originally the place where kids went to get a college degree and played sports on the side, then it was the place they went to prepare for a potential career in the NBA while getting a degree and now it is the place where they go for one year to get high end training and exposure with no intention whatsoever to get a degree.

I have said it before that every top 100 prospect believes he can play in the NBA, every to 30 prospect believes he ca be a star and every top 5 player believes he will be the next Jordan, Bird, Johnson or James and in reality only a tiny fraction makes it to the league, a smaller number becomes starters and maybe one or two of every class becomes a star…really long odds. Some of the old timers on the board will remember a similar situation when boxing was big in the 60s and 70s and every kid saw himself as the next world champion millionaire and the result were similar with only a few making it big and now boxing is on its way out with only a few big fights and a shrinking audience having been replace by the even more brutal MMA.

Getting off the high horse and stop speechifying for the day…😄

• Good summary of KU targets.

• Cole Anthony to cut his list. I’d be surprised if KU is on it. Guessing UNC, Oregon, Notre Dame, Pitt, Georgetown. I’d be surprised if he went anywhere but Carolina.

• FarmerJayhawk said:

Cole Anthony to cut his list. I’d be surprised if KU is on it. Guessing UNC, Oregon, Notre Dame, Pitt, Georgetown. I’d be surprised if he went anywhere but Carolina.

Makes sense. Doesn’t seem like KU made a big play for him (not that they would have got him if that happened) but obviously KU took a couple developmental guys and put their eggs in the Stanley basket for elite guard talent.

• Not sure KU was really ever in it.

• Speaking of which, Anthony Walker is down to Miami, Pitt, Illinois and BC.

• Miami is the favorite, right?

• @Woodrow Yep.

NOTHING BUT TOTALLY CLEAN PROGRAMS HERE BTW. 😂

• https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/news/rivals-roundtable--140

Little blurb in here on JRE and how Dan McDonald believes they have made a big run at him.

• Villanova for anyone wondering. JRE’s recruitment is feeling more and more like one where he and his family don’t put anything out there so people just throw shit at the wall.

• @BShark

You nailed that one

• Now that JRE is done with visits has anyone heard on a decision timetable ? I think most believe it will be in the early signing period which is next month I believe so hopefully that’s still the case. I just haven’t read a whole lot afte his past visit.

I am interested / concerned too see if this FBI case will affect Self and his ability to get high level recruits. I think JRE’s decision will be very telling.

• @Woodrow

Haven’t seen one yet.

I believe JRE planned to sit down and go through things over the next few weeks with visits over.

I think we’ll see him announce his intentions by the end of the month on a date

• @BeddieKU23

If JRE was/is expecting any type of pay out for selecting a school that is probably not going to happen with KU now, at least not in the current environment where KU need to stay pristine clean. If the jury on the FBI trial comes back quickly with a not guilty verdict things might change.

• Sounds like it depends on what UNC/Nike is offering. If it’s a level playing field KU has a great chance if not…

• JayHawkFanToo said:

@BeddieKU23

If JRE was/is expecting any type of pay out for selecting a school that is probably not going to happen with KU now, at least not in the current environment where KU need to stay pristine clean. If the jury on the FBI trial comes back quickly with a not guilty verdict things might change.

Gassnola isn’t the only Adidas runner out there (I know this for a fact), he’s just the one that was caught. Given the info out there regarding him, its extremely sloppy and disappointing KU coaches were in contact with him in any manner.

Regarding JRE… I assume this one is mostly a clean recruitment given his ties to his two favorites KU/UNC. He doesn’t need money to pick KU, a school he’s visited a good amount and where his family is within driving distance. Now if this is about $ driving his recruitment Nike certainly would have an advantage right now

• @Woodrow

from UNC’s site in regards to JRE. They got just a quick blurb from his mother

“We are processing everything now,” his mother, Katie Robinson said, “and he will decide in the next few weeks.”

Also from the update.

Over the last few weeks, that information has changed. Now, as you know from previous scoops and recruitments, often times when inside information isn’t readily accessible, sometimes it’s manufactured. However, the people we’ve heard this from are independent of one another and trustworthy.

Villanova, we’ve heard, is a school not to be discounted. Sources said something “clicked” between the defending champs and Robinson-Earl during his official visit. We’re not saying he’s committing to Villanova, but it doesn’t seem to be just Kansas and UNC as we thought for so long. In fact, if you asked 10 people where Robinson-Earl is going, I bet you’d get up to four different schools as answers (Kansas, Villanova, Arizona, and UNC).

As you know, Roy Williams will recruit Robinson-Earl until he’s made a college decision. To that end, he and assistants Brad Frederick and Hubert Davis were in Bradenton, Fla. on Tuesday checking in on 2019 UNC commit Armando Bacot, 2020 target Jaden Springer, and Robinson-Earl.

• Maybe Jay Wright’s money clicked. 🤔

• Man that would be a kick in the gut to miss on him.

• The FBI investigation is certainly not helping the brand image.

• Woodrow said:

Man that would be a kick in the gut to miss on him.

imo has been a possibility since the summer

• BeddieKU23 said:

Woodrow said:

Agree. He has always said his recruitment is open and was annoyed by the fact that people were saying it was not.

• BShark said:

BeddieKU23 said:

Woodrow said:

Agree. He has always said his recruitment is open and was annoyed by the fact that people were saying it was not.

That has always stuck with me as well.

JRE has definitely tried his best to deflect any label placed on him. We’ll find out in a few weeks whether it was just part of crootin’ or real noise

• Aidin Igiehon to Louisville as expected. Good lord, they have a MONSTER class.

• BShark said:

Aidin Igiehon to Louisville as expected. Good lord, they have a MONSTER class.

If you rebuild Louisville, they will come LOL.

• @BeddieKU23 Exhibit A of why I just can’t be worried about KU. They threw Louisville under the bus and Pitino was a guy with a really bad history and cheated while on probation so of course he was fired. Now it’s just like nothing happened.

• BShark said:

@BeddieKU23 Exhibit A of why I just can’t be worried about KU. They threw Louisville under the bus and Pitino was a guy with a really bad history and cheated while on probation so of course he was fired. Now it’s just like nothing happened.

Yeah Louisville is too big to fail. We’ll be fine and biz will be back to norm as time passes

• Ummm so I actually think Nova is the bigger threat than UNC for JRE now. Still think KU is the most likely destination but it’s uncomfortably uncertain.

• @BeddieKU23 It’s just crazy the way their recruiting has gone this season. Just landed another very solid player. - - look how things got handed to them and yet it seems if anything their class has only improved. - - Monster class. - heard on an interview about recruiting in cases like this with the NCAA they talked about actually how these kids 17-18 yr olds actually really don’t even think about these kinds of situations that much. - -Makes me feel somewhat better about our recruiting.

• FarmerJayhawk said:

Ummm so I actually think Nova is the bigger threat than UNC for JRE now. Still think KU is the most likely destination but it’s uncomfortably uncertain.

seen this morning off 247 that actually Villanova just gained their first pick for JRE - - - - -I don’t like it. - heard his visit with Villanova they REALLY hit it off. - -ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• @jayballer73

There’s opportunity at Louisville too, they had to get a monster class because the team has 7 scholarship players after this season if no one leaves. Its definitely clear players see things differently then fans. I’m sure players think the worst of it is behind them with a new regime in place

• I know I’m not the only one that’s been saying JRE to KU was a pipedream. Certainly momentum is going that way

• @BeddieKU23 For me even though I maybe haven’t felt as comfortable especially lately about JRE to KU - - -I have never thought it was a pipedream to think he was Coming to KU. - I’ve felt pretty dam good about him coming here.Maybe don’t feel as good about him coming now - -although I still feel he DOES come yet to say JRE coming to KU was a pipe dream? - -can’t really see why you or anyone thinking JRE coming to KU would be a pipe dream - -ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• @jayballer73

Maybe pipedream wasn’t the right word. I’ll switch to unlikely, that’s been my thought for months. We’ll find out soon enough

• @BeddieKU23 being the leader isn’t a pipe dream. I’m thinking like 80% chance to like 60% now.

• It won’t shock me if there is a one year swoon in recruiting due to the crapstorm. Hopefully not…

• Still more likely than not we get Hurt and JRE. Some are more pessimistic than I but if this all anyone has on KU it’s going to be a non-factor.