Josh Jackson "Diary"

• If Summer League was any indication of his improvements… It will be a long season for JJ. It’s all in his shooting and shot selection. I wonder what role he’ll have with the Suns this year. They made a lot of moves

• @BeddieKU23 He needs to completely rework his shot. He’d almost be better getting some G-League time where all he does is work on his jumper.

• Kcmatt7 said:

@BeddieKU23 He needs to completely rework his shot. He’d almost be better getting some G-League time where all he does is work on his jumper.

Ouch, for the 4th pick in the draft to the D-League. He’s talented enough to stick but if he can’t shoot his time in Phoenix will not last

• Jackson needs to do one of two things

1. Re-work his jumper next summer. I’m talking a complete overhaul from his base all the way to his release point. This process will take from the end of the regular season all the way through August. He won’t have a chance to do much else because he will be working on his jump shot 4 or 5 hours a day.

2. Focus on becoming the best 1-4 defender in the league. He can stick in the league with his ancillary skills, but he would have to focus on turning himself into an elite defender that can guard everyone from Kevin Durant to Lebron James to Russell Westbrook to Bradley Beal to Kyrie Irving to Klay Thompson to Steph Curry to Kawhi Leonard to DeMar Derozan. Literally guard any of those guys night in and night out. That, plus his ball handling and passing ability would make him an above average player, but he would still be a non-star because of his lack of shooting touch.

• JJ had 17 in pre-season last night. Frank Mason was on the opposing team, had 11 and 3 assists

• I think he will play much better than over the Summer. I think we all know he was told to force shots. We watched him be a great team player for an entire season ourselves. It will just be a bummer if he ends up being a guy that bounces all over the league like B-Mac.

• Other hawks. McLemore had 6 off the bench with Mason for the Kings

Diallo had 5 & 6 in 21 minutes for the Pelicans

Thomas Robinson had 8 points in 10 minutes off the bench for the Hawks

Embiid had 21 & 7 to pace the Sixers

Oubre had 15 & 8 for the Wizards

• I always thought T-Rob would end up being a really good NBA player. But he is undersized in a league that values the 3, which he can’t shoot. It’s too bad he hasn’t developed that skill. He would be starting for someone if he could.

• JJ with 11 & 9 with 7 turnovers and still can’t shoot

• Nothing says losing quite like firing your GM right before the season starts. Coach will have a quick exit as well

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/24931420/phoenix-suns-fire-gm-ryan-mcdonough

• @BeddieKU23 Too many KU players get this treatment. This is the problem with going top 5. You’re guaranteed to go to a place that is completely mismanaged.

• Kcmatt7 said:

@BeddieKU23 Too many KU players get this treatment. This is the problem with going top 5. You’re guaranteed to go to a place that is completely mismanaged.

Embiid’s situation has worked out even though years back the Sixers were the laughing stock of the league.

• @BeddieKU23 Well, he got lucky that the injuries all played out in favor of the Sixers. If he doesn’t have injuries, Imagine that team without Saric or Simmons…

• Kcmatt7 said:

@BeddieKU23 Well, he got lucky that the injuries all played out in favor of the Sixers. If he doesn’t have injuries, Imagine that team without Saric or Simmons…

Definitely some luck.

JJ and Frank definitely landed in the dumps of the league with no hope of getting away from it, at least not yet

• @BeddieKU23 I think Devonte being in Charlotte is awesome just because he’s from NC. But poor, poor Frank. Wish he could go be a backup for a contender.

• Kcmatt7 said:

@BeddieKU23 I think Devonte being in Charlotte is awesome just because he’s from NC. But poor, poor Frank. Wish he could go be a backup for a contender.

Yeah it was a good fit for Devonte. The injury though definitely puts him at a disadvantage already of sticking with them long term.

I think Frank will overcome his situation down the road. Optimistically I think he’s in a good position to outwork the higher drafted Fox and put himself into a position for a new team in a few years. I can’t see him failing

• At least Devonte got paid already… I mean if you’re looking for a bright spot. It may really end up a blessing for him if he gets cut after this season. He can go ball out at training camp and summer league and possible earn another guaranteed deal. Of course that’s being optimistic.

And Frank absolutely has the drive to stick.