I know it's still early guys but ?

• Guys I know , I fully understand it’s early and we really haven’t played any true competition , well for us in the past it would of been but with the improvement it’s been a different story sooo my question is:

Has our Defense gotten that much better? - -Has Clint Bowen finally really gotten these guys to come together/play better or is it that these teams we played just that bad - just suck?

I read an article and throwing out some stats for you to look at How we compare with other BIG12 teams so far: Total Defense: - - 294.3 yards per - - - # 1 Scoring Defense: - - 15.7- – # 2 Passing Defense:- - 147.7- - # 1 Interceptions:- - - - - - 7 (next closest ) 3- - # 1 Fumbles Rec : - - - 6 ( next closest ) 3- - # 1 Total takeaways : - - 13 ( next closest )- 5 4th down defense : - - 0 - 1st downs given up ( however only 2 chances taken by opp ) - -# 1

Now on a little less favorable note: Against the run we are 6th in the league. Recording Sacks:- - - - We are 8th in the league ( we just have to get more pressure or we going to be ate alive ) 3rd down effeciency :- - We are 6th in the league - ( got to improve )

KU currently sits # 2 in conference in time of possession KU currently sits # 1 in fewest TO’S KU currently sits # 5 in punting ( could use improvement )

Like I say guys - -very true & the competition has been umm to say the least - not the best BUT for a team of ours that has struggles over the years like we have I just have to think that yes this defense has improved and I think quite a lot and we bask Clint quite abit - -so in return I think he deserves a little credit at the same time -this door swings both ways ya know? I like the way they ballhawk seem to be a pretty aggressive unit this year - - After two weeks Pro Football Focus has KU graded out as the 2nd best defense. I realize against better competition going to be a lot harder but I do see improvement - -we shall see how they stand up - -hoping for the best. - -ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• CBS’s poll -

OU #4

WVU #14

OSU #15

TCU #16

Texas #36

ISU #50

Tech #67

KSU #71

Baylor #78

KU #80

Rutgers #104

Central Michigan #125

Out of 129 teams

• Kind of in line with my thinking. KU should be able to give Baylor, KSU, and Tech a game. Kansas should be able to compete with ISU and Texas if they have a bad day.

Now we shall see if the team competes hard and lives up to those modest expectations.

• Other than that OU game, KU needs to be able to stay with everyone in conference, and they need to find wins against some of those lower teams, and maybe upset somebody along the way.

KU isn’t as high as their current stats suggest, but they should still be in the middle of the pack in terms of defense. They have some playmakers on that side of the ball, which can cover up some things. It also positions them for an upset - a couple key takeaways against a team like TCU or Texas could help swing that game in KU’s favor.

I will give Beaty credit for upgrading athleticism on that side of the ball. But he still needs results to back that up.

• justanotherfan said:

Other than that OU game, KU needs to be able to stay with everyone in conference, and they need to find wins against some of those lower teams, and maybe upset somebody along the way.

KU isn’t as high as their current stats suggest, but they should still be in the middle of the pack in terms of defense. They have some playmakers on that side of the ball, which can cover up some things. It also positions them for an upset - a couple key takeaways against a team like TCU or Texas could help swing that game in KU’s favor.

I will give Beaty credit for upgrading athleticism on that side of the ball. But he still needs results to back that up.

I agree with you buddy. I was thinking the same thing. I mean now that we have reached conference ,I just don’t feel that we are going to continue to get the take aways at the same rate. - - I’m worried about our secondary and match up with receivers like Baylor has - -I feel things are going to go up. - -BUT even so if we can at least say be in the middle of the pack to say even third or 4th ya know. I DO NOT believe we will be at the very bottom in defense. - -Dineen is really good , Lee is pretty decent. The big thing I think is - -we have JUST GOT TO get – sacks more pressure on the other teams QB"S We can not afford to allow them to stand back there and pick us apart. - -ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• @jayballer73

Several of the stats you cited such as interceptions and fumbles are more the result of crappy opponents’ offenses than great defense. CMU and Rutgers are pretty poor teams and I would not draw any conclusions from those two games. We will know more after the Baylor game.

• @justanotherfan I agree. OU is obviously a step or 50 above us but KU needs to be able to compete with all the other teams. Including TCU and WVU. By compete I mean that it’s a game going into the fourth quarter. There’s no reason to get ran off the field by any of these teams.

• I think we need to add Nebraska to this year’s schedule. In fact, I wouldn’t mind playing them 8 more times this year. We would go to a bowl game.

• You guys in kc/Lawrence area, do you get the pregame?

• @Crimsonorblue22

I watch on Fox Sports on Youtube TV and we don’t get the pre-game or post-game.

• I think the defense proved today that they are without question better than last year, they gave up a good chunk of yards but only let up 26 points. 17 of which were short fields for Baylor’s offense. As I said on the game thread if you only let 26 on the road in this conference, you should have a chance to win unless your offense sucks.