2020 Recruiting

• @BeddieKU23 seems pretty clear something strange is going on behind the scenes there.

• @Kcmatt7

I understand the connection with Cunningham to OSU but Thompson besides being from Oklahoma I’m not getting this. Seems since his rise in the rankings he’s getting more behind the scenes attention. I’m sure the swooshers are nippin at the feet

• @BeddieKU23 There is a rumor he wants Trae Young shot volume.

• @BShark Scratch him off the list. We don’t need a shot hog.

• Something strange is going on behind the scenes everywhere. Some scenes are just stranger than others. I’m perfectly fine with a kid who wants Trae Young volume not attending Kansas.

• BShark said:

@BeddieKU23 There is a rumor he wants Trae Young shot volume.

Interesting rumor. I mean its easy to lump a kid into that rep for being from Oklahoma but wonder what legs it actually has. I haven’t seen Boynton to be the type of coach to facilitate “shot volume” but maybe he will for Thompson.

This recruitment certainly looks to have taken a life of its own

• @BeddieKU23 Yeah I think Boynton is a damn good coach.

• BeddieKU23 said:

Slater recently put a CB into Okie Lite for Bryce Thompson… Shenanigans going on in Stillwater to land Cunningham and Thompson??

OSU does have the occasional class like that, probably about once a decade or so. Probably just Nike spreading the wealth to their second tier programs. LSU is another example and so was Washington before this year. Teams that about once a decade or so land a monster class courtesy of the Nike machine.

• LSU could stay a perennial threat depending on Wade.

• @BShark I have a lot of respect for Boynton. I thought hiring Cunningham’s relative ( brother?!?) was very smart.

• Xavier Foster released his top 5: Iowa (likely landing spot), ISU, Baylor, Providence, Va Tech

• FarmerJayhawk said:

Xavier Foster released his top 5: Iowa (likely landing spot), ISU, Baylor, Providence, Va Tech

Well at least KU was eliminated early. Thought there was a chance he would end up at Duke but it seems they didn’t want him since they never offered.

• Well , seems to be some confusion here to me. - -What I had been hearing was that JT Thor was going to make his decision by the 26th of August as to where he is going to play.

Yet when I read the article that he had indeed re-classified and him stating that his recruitment was WIDE OPEN that there were no leaders - the article said he won’t even list his top Schools that he is interested In till the end of August. - -So which is it? - - ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• Corey Evans just had a weekly mailbag and he thinks Thor ends up at Oregon or Kentucky if UK offers.

• And Nix will visit Kansas this fall. Date TBD.

• @Woodrow I didn’t Corey guess on Thor. Are you thinking Dante?

Edit: never mind, found it!

• Man, how I would love for us to sign a true inside/out small forward, 6-7ish 225 lbs, a Paul Pierce kinda guy - though obviouly not saying if we signed one that he would ever be that good.

• FarmerJayhawk said:

And Nix will visit Kansas this fall. Date TBD.

Hope we have a real shot.

• BShark said:

FarmerJayhawk said:

And Nix will visit Kansas this fall. Date TBD.

Hope we have a real shot.

We absolutely do. He’s one of the more wide open five star guys in the class since he doesn’t play on a shoe circuit or anything.

• KU does not make the final 5 for Greg Brown. Kentucky, Texas, UNC, Memphis and Auburn.

• Woodrow said:

KU does not make the final 5 for Greg Brown. Kentucky, Texas, UNC, Memphis and Auburn.

Lol it’s like he’s telegraphing to up the bidding

• Woodrow said:

KU does not make the final 5 for Greg Brown. Kentucky, Texas, UNC, Memphis and Auburn.

Dam call me Naïve , fully understand we wasn’t gonna be his final destination BUT to not make his final 5? - -interesting , but just as well , no reason to waste time. - -I think he stays right in Texas myself. - - ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• Woodrow said:

That’s a shame, he’s a fantastic talent but I knew this one was all about the swoosh

• Pretty predictable I think we were all prepared for it.

• @BShark

Agreed. I think we know the type of kids that want the paydays

• … and we should consider ourselves lucky as a result.

• Just for the curious - - wanted to say again - - JT Thor will NOT be committing of August 26th as has been mentioned - -his birthday- - he will at that time be giving his list of his top schools and is planning on announcing his commitment in October - -The word that is going around is that he will be Coming to KU late Night - -just letting you know - - ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• Will be interesting to monitor. Dawson Garcia could potentially visit KU this fall. One of many schools in contact with him.

Garcia also continues to hear regularly from North Carolina, Kansas, Kentucky and Duke. Texas, Marquette, Arizona & the hometown Minnesota are also heavily involved.

7bcbff8d-5504-4671-97d1-67b2fd633724-image.png

• @BeddieKU23 Would love for us to be able to sign Garcia.

• I know some here are not fans, but KU officially offered Andre Curbelo

https://twitter.com/Andrew__Slater/status/1161307911748050944

• @BShark because?

• @Crimsonorblue22 People weren’t impressed with him.

• For your viewing pleasure… my man, Andre Curbelo:

• This post is deleted!

• Andre is a 4 year guy. Is he better then Harris who we just took? I say we look for an elite option like we are. I see the value in offering. May just be that.

• BeddieKU23 said:

Andre is a 4 year guy. Is he better then Harris who we just took? I say we look for an elite option like we are. I see the value in offering. May just be that.

Could be that Bill is hedging that at least one of the two will turn out.

I don’t expect an elite PG to get scared away by any of the PGs projected to be on the roster in 2020-2021.

• @Kcmatt7 I do… Not that I necessarily want them to be - would take Nix in a heartbeat! - but we would already have McBride, Harris and Garrett. That is a pretty deep and talented group.

• Marco said:

@Kcmatt7 I do… Not that I necessarily want them to be - would take Nix in a heartbeat! - but we would already have McBride, Harris and Garrett. That is a pretty deep and talented group.

Garrett isn’t a PG. I don’t understand why people keep lumping him in with the PGs. He hasn’t been one since he got here. He isn’t one right now. And he won’t be one next season.

• Kcmatt7 said:

BeddieKU23 said:

Andre is a 4 year guy. Is he better then Harris who we just took? I say we look for an elite option like we are. I see the value in offering. May just be that.

Could be that Bill is hedging that at least one of the two will turn out.

I don’t expect an elite PG to get scared away by any of the PGs projected to be on the roster in 2020-2021.

I agree Bill has sent a lot of offers out in this class and I don’t see anyone being scared away. The only way that happens is if McBride wiggles himself an established backup role and shows the combination of playmaking and facilitating that he can provide. TBD on that though.

I want Love from this class first and foremost. I think we have the best shot with him right now the way his recruitment is trending. Nix obviously is a big fish as well with tremendous passing ability. Bryce Thompson’s recruitment has certainly taken some turns recently. Not sure what’s happening there but my dream class was Love/Thompson. If we can land one of the two we should feel pretty good about our lead guard options.

• Marco said:

@Kcmatt7 I do… Not that I necessarily want them to be - would take Nix in a heartbeat! - but we would already have McBride, Harris and Garrett. That is a pretty deep and talented group.

More talented then Nix ? - - - I think not. - - If Nix would not come because of these guys -then I wouldn’t want him - always have sai - - always will say. - -If your as good as people say you are – if you think your as good as you say you are - then Nix won’t be scared off by these guys - prove your talent on the court - -in competition - it will play it’self out - - -if your a type of guy that just wants to come to the school and be given the spot/handed to you? - -then find a school that will let you do that - -I’m not interested in players that aren’t interested having to compete for their spot on the floor - -shows a sign of lazyiness - -non competitiveness.

I don’t think Nix or Love either one would back away just because McBride or Harris were already here - - ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• @jayballer73 I didn’t say that he was more talented than Nix.

• @jayballer73

Happens all the time in recruiting though with kids choosing schools based on the depth chart. I couldn’t imagine KU landing or aggressively going after a PG if Devon wasn’t almost a lock to leave after this season? You can’t sell playing time to an elite kid if he’s going to be stuck behind Devon. But Self has a good message to sell if he’s already looking for his replacement with the expectation he’s leaving and the options behind him are unproven freshman right now. There’s always a chance a kid will be scared by the fact Self does have a few options on the roster but what can ya do. It’s recruiting. That’s why KU rarely goes after just one guy at a position.

• Marco said:

@jayballer73 I didn’t say that he was more talented than Nix.

no you just listed players that would be there - -I wasn’t pointing out that you had said ONE specific player - you listed McBride - - Garret - & Harris and talking about he may not come with those three - -All I’m saying not ONE of them more talented then him - -there would be NO reason for him not to come even with those three - -he should be able to win that spot

• BeddieKU23 said:

@jayballer73

Happens all the time in recruiting though with kids choosing schools based on the depth chart. I couldn’t imagine KU landing or aggressively going after a PG if Devon wasn’t almost a lock to leave after this season? You can’t sell playing time to an elite kid if he’s going to be stuck behind Devon. But Self has a good message to sell if he’s already looking for his replacement with the expectation he’s leaving and the options behind him are unproven freshman right now. There’s always a chance a kid will be scared by the fact Self does have a few options on the roster but what can ya do. It’s recruiting. That’s why KU rarely goes after just one guy at a position.

Your 100 % right if Devon was coming back - -and your 100% right we don’t have to worry about that - -we know he is gone. - but if he was coming back - -no way would KU be recruiting a player of the caliber of Nix OR Love - - - But Devon isn’t coming back thus recruiting others like Nix & Love

Even with the 3 that was mentioned - If I were Nix or Love I wouldn’t be scared away for the opportunity to play with a blue blood program because of the other 3 that was mentioned. - I would have enough confidence in myself if I were as good asa people say - or if I felt I was that good - -I sure wouldn’t run from an offer from KU because of McBride - - Garett - -or Harris - - if someone was to tell me he wouldn’t or couldn’t beat these guys out for minutes - -then there is one of two things - -Either I’m not as good as being hyped -or I don’t want to work for the position - me - -I would let my game do the talking against those 3 - - AND FEEL PRETTY GOOD ABOUT MY CHANCES. – -rock chalk all day long baby

• @jayballer73 Which is what I am getting at, many highly ranked players want to be all but guaranteed a starting spot. Maybe Nix and Love don’t fit into that category, hope they don’t, but if they do they might look at a point guard position that is already 3-deep if counting Garrett as a bit too deep.

Hell, I hope we do sign Nix or Love, and definitely want to sign Thompson who would get immediate PT at the 2, but the 1 position is more problematic due to the depth. Should we offer them? No doubt about it. But this isn’t the playground, “I’ll put my game up against all comers! I’m the Man, it is me vs. You!” More problematic than that. They believe their college choice to be an audition for the NBA, ofcourse they’re gonna take a look at who else and how many others are already there. We’re crowded at the point, that is just a fact.

• Marco said:

@jayballer73 Which is what I am getting at, many highly ranked players want to be all but guaranteed a starting spot. Maybe Nix and Love don’t fit into that category, hope they don’t, but if they do they might look at a point guard position that is already 3-deep if counting Garrett as a bit too deep.

Hell, I hope we do sign Nix or Love, and definitely want to sign Thompson who would get immediate PT at the 2, but the 1 position is more problematic due to the depth. Should we offer them? No doubt about it. But this isn’t the playground, “I’ll put my game up against all comers! I’m the Man, it is me vs. You!” More problematic than that. They believe their college choice to be an audition for the NBA, ofcourse they’re gonna take a look at who else and how many others are already there. We’re crowded at the point, that is just a fact.

good we can agree - -to disagree - - I just don’t see it that way sorry

• Aren’t the minutes all but guaranteed if those three are the only competition?

• @jayballer73 Garrett, Harris, and McBride isn’t “set”. We need a Nix.

• @dylans I guess that would depend on their being complete scrubs. Hope I’m wrong, it wouldn’t be the first time. Do I want us to sign Nix? Hell yeah, I do.

• Nix and Love. There’s plenty of room. Self’s system works best with 2 point guards on the floor.