Will Jeff Long Turn Out to Be KU’s Best AD Ever?

• Who was KU’s best Post WWII AD?

Al Bohl?

Lewie “The Perk”?

Wade Stinson?

Sheahon Zenger?

Bob Frederick?

Monte Johnson?

X?

(Note: All Fiction. No malice.)

• @jaybate-1.0 It’s Sunday morning and I’m supposed to be getting ready for Mass. But, JB’s post reminded me how much I focus on the coaches and how little attention I pay to the work of the athletic director. I have great respect for Bob Fredrick and absolutely no respect for Lou Perkins. Perkins has such a stink surrounding him that I wish we could erase the taint he has left on our beloved university.

• @stoptheflop

You do realize that without Perkins KU does not go to the Orange Bowl, right?

Perkins moved KU into the big time but there were things at the end, like how Mangino was fired, that left a bad taste. Perkin’s tenure has to be looked at in its entirety and not just as one or two bad incidents.

• @JayHawkFanToo You do realize that Perkin’s wanted to fire Mangino before the Orange Bowl season, right? He told him before the season 10 wins or you’re out.

• @dylans

Never heard of that ultimatum, do you have a source? I would be interested in learning more. In any case, looks like the fat man delivered with a final 12-1 record and the best football season ever at KU.

• Sweet Lou as l call him a terrible human being on all fronts and was the absolute worst hire in not only KU history but WSU as well. Sadly I hear he’s still around Lawrence, man if I ran into it would be tempting to beat the daylights outta him. My booster friend have always stated Mangino had dirt on Sweet Lou for his role in the ticket scandal and stealing the exercise equipment. He did everything he could to turn the university against Mangino, using stuff from years before the orange bowl that they had been documented for years. If they wanted to fire him they could have in 06 after missing a bowl at 6-6 after blowing several games they should have won. Then you have the most laughable contract in history he got Gill before he left as a slap in the face on the way out the door. Sweet Lou crippled KUs football program and looks as if we another 4 years and coach from being respectable. People give him way way too much credit for the Orange Bowl and NC season. He didn’t hire those coaches and didn’t coach, he reaped the rewards of others work is what he did.

• Banned

JayHawkFanToo said:

@stoptheflop

You do realize that without Perkins KU does not go to the Orange Bowl, right?

Perkins moved KU into the big time but there were things at the end, like how Mangino was fired, that left a bad taste. Perkin’s tenure has to be looked at in its entirety and not just as one or two bad incidents.

Help me put my history in correct order Wasn’t Mangino put in place by BF? or am I mistaken. My mind is a little foggy. It’s been so long since KU has even been decent at football.

• @JayHawkFanToo It’s from too long ago. I don’t remember where just what. No mention of a win total ultimatum, just being on the hot seat in this article from ‘07 http://www.cstv.com/tsx/11202007/m-footbl/kan.html

• @DoubleDD I think it was Al Bohl. And he was fired before Bill Self was hired.

http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2007/nov/21/exkansas_athletic_director_lauds_hires_pinkel_mang/

Maybe Al Bohl should be consulted on this next hire too? He has quite the history. Saban, Pinkel, Mangino.

• @kjayhawks @DoubleDD

The Orange Bowl selection of KU was very controversial and most though MU should have been picked instead of KU. Then, the Big 12, the ACC and the Bowls came up with an agreement to have OU and KU swap places in the Orange Bowl and the Fiesta Bowl and the ACC and the Big 12 commissioners submitted the proposal to the Bowl Comitte…talk about being stabbed on the back by your conference commissioner…luckily Perkins had a number of very influential friends all over and was able to have the proposal rejected. Perhaps you don’t remember but those were very trying days for the KU program and fans. This information comes from a high level KU administrator and big program booster. You can find more information and details here… Without Perkins KU does not make it to the Orange Bowl and its best season ever.

• @JayHawkFanToo It one bowl game rather have won a good bowl that wasn’t BCS than be in the state we are currently in.

• kjayhawks said:

@JayHawkFanToo It one bowl game rather have won a good bowl that wasn’t BCS than be in the state we are currently in.

I am not sure what you mean. I am not a Perkins fan and I don’t agree with how he handled Mangino, particularly the way he was let go. Having said that, I have to give credit where credit is due and without Perkins KU does not go to the Orange Bowl and we don’t have the one thing we have to brag about football in this century.

• @JayHawkFanToo I’m saying I’d would have rather never won the orange bowl and not had Lou than have our football program in it’s current state.