Marcus Floppy Smart

• Hoo boy at it again. LOL

• I dont understand how people hate him. He plays 100% all the time and therefore has maximized his talent. It’s what everyone should aim for. I guess we should hope our kids are born with the genetic gifts of a Lebron James and walk up the court 25% of the game.

• He’s a fine player but that flop last night was an all-timer.

• @BShark Maybe he got knocked over by a slow-moving breeze from the movement of the arm 3 inches away.

• BigBad said:

I dont understand how people hate him. He plays 100% all the time and therefore has maximized his talent. It’s what everyone should aim for. I guess we should hope our kids are born with the genetic gifts of a Lebron James and walk up the court 25% of the game.

Yep, old Lebron doesn’t try very hard. Famous for being a slacker.

• Marcus Smart did some really fantastic things on D last night. Unfortunately, he was 1-10 from the field, and his flop was ridiculous. I have to admit that in that split second, being able to identify that LeBron was swinging his arm through on a drive, identify that it is an opportune time to flop, and understand how his body should react is pretty amazing. It’s a skill that I detest, but a skill nonetheless.

https://twitter.com/gifdsports/status/1000915146259263488

• @BigBad I don’t like Tyler Hansworth either.

…But for different reasons, neither of which is effort.

• @dylans Ditto for Pete Rose!

• Marcus is great defensively but I wouldn’t want his attitude, flopping or terrible shooting on my team. Shooting 33% from the floor and 22% from 3, rather have a solid guy on defense that can do anything on offense, believe he missed 3 wide open layups yesterday.

• I give up. I told myself years ago that when I saw flopping in the NHL I’d just give up.

So I gave up.

I’m a fan who surrendered.

Life has changed so much that it feels like a hindrance to have values.

Oh what the heck… I guess I will keep my values and continue to point and laugh at the flopping crowd.

Marcus Smart does hustle and accomplishes a lot of other things beyond flopping. He’s one of the better defenders in the league.

• @kjayhawks Smart came out today with his assessment that he is worth a $12 to $14 million contract. He is a restricted free agent. We will see if anyone agrees, or if Boston ends up re-signing him for a lot less after other teams pass on a bidding war (the Moustaka fate).

• mayjay said:

@kjayhawks Smart came out today with his assessment that he is worth a $12 to $14 million contract. He is a restricted free agent. We will see if anyone agrees, or if Boston ends up re-signing him for a lot less after other teams pass on a bidding war (the Moustaka fate).

It might be difficult for some teams to see his value. This will be interesting to follow.

• Since this is a thread that has an all-time disliked guy, I will mention here another one: The CBS mock draft has Graysonofabitch Allen going to the 76ers. Hope not for Embiid’s sake!

• @mayjay I tend to think the Sixers will pick someone with more upside who will likely have a year long injury. 🙂

• @dylans He has great upside. The way he plays, he could well get something upside the head very quickly.

• Smart is an interesting player. For all of his flopping, he’s actually a very good defensive player. That’s part of why the flopping is particularly annoying with him. He can defend without all of that silliness. On top of that, because he is so strong, he can defend basically any perimeter player.

He’s underrated as a ball handler. He’s a poor shooter, but he isn’t a bad overall offensive player because he is a good passer and has an assist to turnover ratio better than 2 to 1. He’s a really smart player (no pun intended) on both ends of the floor as far as understanding scheme and spacing. If he was a decent shooter, he would likely be in line for a huge contract, but because he’s such a poor shooter, it’s hard to figure where he fits in the modern NBA.