Young and Done

• Smart decision to leave OU for the draft. OU about to take a huge step back once again

• Was making this thread when I saw this pop up. Some rumors that it wasn’t entirely up to him. Texted a couple OU buddies about that and waiting to hear back.

• It will be interesting to see how he does in the league. I don’t blame him for going, the team doesn’t have much talent elsewhere and he’s projected in the top 10 in every draft board I’ve seen. That would be tough to improve on, although I think he could use another year to develop.

• I’m wondering how a middle school body will do in the NBA? He’s certainly skilled enough, but can he handle the rigors of an 80+ game schedule?

• @dylans

People asked the same about Curry. Obviously, Young will have to get into the weight room and train, but you can play in the NBA on the perimeter without being a really big guy, provided you can handle and shoot (Young can do both). The bigger question is where he fits on the NBA totem pole - can he be the best player on a title contender (i.e. Curry), or does he need to be the second or even third best player? That will have more effect on his success than anything. If he needs to be the third best guy, but never gets two other guys with him, he probably won’t be that successful at the next level - that’s my guess for him, by the way. Young’s passing is so good that I could see him being an excellent third guy.

His situation is in some ways similar to Lonzo Ball. Lonzo isn’t supposed to be the star. Even his father would admit that if you cornered him and talked about hoops with him for a minute. Lonzo’s best skill is his passing, and the ability he has to get other guys their best shots. Now it’s just a matter of surrounding him with the right guys to take those shots. Young will be similar to that.

• Curry was/is bigger and is the exception not the rule. I’m not rooting against Young, it would be cool to say you beat him back when. I just think his body has a lot of filling out left to do. Young will probably be ok in the NBA as it currently doesn’t allow much contact. Sherron correctly pointed out repeated hard contact wore Young out even at the collegiate level though.

• I wish him the best. He had an amazing stretch of basketball followed by a terrible month to end the season. I felt like his teammates resented him having the spotlight etc. They just didn’t seem to want to play together.

The media, especially ESPN went overboard with him. It was good visibility for the league overall which sometimes struggles outside of KU to produce teams or players that the nation follows.

It will be very interesting to see how he fits at the NBA. He’s got some work to do physically to keep healthy and learn how to play defense but if he lands on the right team he could be a difference maker in a few years

• @justanotherfan

You beat me to it. I will admit that I did not think Curry would last in the League and he obviously proved me wrong and I mean WRONG!!!

• @JayHawkFanToo A tale of two freshman years:

0_1521565231996_Screenshot 2018-03-20 12.58.32.png

0_1521565238851_Screenshot 2018-03-20 12.58.51.png

• Curry was 4% higher on 3’s and 2’s, on 4 less attempts per game, though off ball, with 6 less assists per game, and 2.4 less turnovers per game, in a much weaker conference.

These stats are more flattering to Young than I give him credit for.

• This comes as a huge Surprise to who again? - -And Yet has to run the story on him this morning - Oh Ya let’s get one last run on our media darling one last time. -You tell me how many here or anywhere found this as any surprise? - -He thought it would make him look better after the tourney the patent line - -Right now I’m just thinking about my team mates sometime in the next week or so I’ll sit down with my family and then decide to make what is the best decision for me. - -If ANYONE here can come up with any kind of a debatable line trying to make people think he didn’t already know what he was going to do - -PEASE ENLIGHTEN ME - -this kid knew halfway throught the season he was only playing one year - -Damm i’m glad I don’t have to go through another year of listening to the media suck up to his ass - -All I say is Trae - - good luck - -you’ll do well -but also have to say good riddins - -NOT YOUR FAULT the ESPN was just drooling over your every move. - - – at least in the NBA with your pasing skills you will have guys that can finish. - -ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• Bamba out

• @dylans did he declare?

• I do not expect much from Young in the NBA. It took a special circumstance to make Curry great in the NBA. It took 4 years and great draft followed by great draft to build a roster that let him be him. It worked.

But I just don’t know that it can be replicated. Steph Curry is a future Hall of Famer. A freak of nature. He has never shot below .400 except for his last season of College. Never once in the NBA. Curry has also turned himself into an elite finisher in the lane as well. Shooting 2pt% over .500 and is finishing at almost a .600 rate this season. Elite.

It will take being in the right spot at the right time for TY to put up numbers anywhere near Curry’s and win at the same time.

Honestly, I think the Suns should consider him at #2 overall. Or, trade back and add a couple of picks and then take him around 10. He would play well with Booker and they could start something similar to the Splash Bros. But that’s just my two cents.

• @Kcmatt7

Young in the wrong situation will be a bust because he will be forced into taking bad shots and throwing careless passes. Young in the right situation could be a star or better, because his floor spacing and vision will be at a premium. You have to pair him with another scorer, and probably a backcourt teammate that can handle the tougher defensive assignments on a nightly basis.

I don’t know that Booker is a good match because he may not fit with that group defensively. Young needs to be paired with a bigger guard so that he isn’t exploited defensively because of his size/strength.

• @justanotherfan Booker is a 6’6 guard and played PG most of this season. He is almost exactly what you described. To me, he would take a lot of pressure off of TY.

I mean, Curry gets exploited on a nightly basis,. I expect they same from TY.

• @jayballer73 According to ESPN radio he did. But I haven’t confirmed it.

• @Kcmatt7

His build says he could, but he isn’t a defender. If you look at the Curry/Thompson backcourt, what makes it work is that Thompson is one of the best wing defenders in the NBA, and even if he isn’t getting shots, he still plays that end of the floor.

Ideally, Young plays with a 2 that is a top notch wing defender, and a 3 or stretch 4 that is the primary scorer. He needs someone that can guard the other top PGs in the league without it affecting their offense. Booker isn’t that guy at this point, although if they draft Young, maybe he becomes that guy.

• @justanotherfan If they are going to be successful, that team will have to buy in on defensive end.

Curry sucks defensively, but he plays his part. All he does is go for steals. He knows that the other 4 guys will rotate and help, so he tries to make a difference by getting steals. Klay is a good, but not great defender. He isn’t special. He is just long. I’m confident that Booker could be that guy if he gave the effort.

It isn’t like TY is going to go to a good team where they have what you are saying he needs built and ready to go. It is going to take 3 or 4 years to get all of the pieces, and even then it might not work out. I don’t know of a team picking in the top 15 that has the guard and scorer you described.

• @Kcmatt7 suns could work. Would be great if they could come up with a package to get a good big as well,because they really need one. Chriss is a headcase, Bender is meh, Len is meh, Chandler is ancient. Maybe they could deal Elfrid Payton, Brandon Knight and any of their young meh bigs guys for someone with more upside.

• @BeddieKU23

Didn’t you mean Un and Done?

And my guess is OU will get quickly better without Un.

Time will tell.

• He took ONE and done to a new level!

• approxinfinity said:

@Kcmatt7 suns could work. Would be great if they could come up with a package to get a good big as well,because they really need one. Chriss is a headcase, Bender is meh, Len is meh, Chandler is ancient. Maybe they could deal Elfrid Payton, Brandon Knight and any of their young meh bigs guys for someone with more upside.

Bingo. Suns whiffed hard with bigs. Now do they go after a difference maker on defense with a lot of offensive potential in La La Bamba or someone like Carter/Bagley/Jackson and continue the streak

• @dylans To your point…and thats the last you will ever hear about Trea young. He will be burried on the bench if he even makes a team, and then will be toiling in the Greece league in 3 years after an nba team wastes some money on the hype. He will be abused in practice by the men.

• FYI Mo Bamba declared for the draft.

Also Lindell Wigginton has decided to enter but will not hire an agent. I think he’ll get invited to the Combine which can help him. I have a feeling he returns for his Soph year on what should be a better ISU team and leaves after next year.

• Watching the Texas Tech vs Florida game the announcers were saying Zhaire Smith will probably enter the draft as well. He would test off the charts and have to think he’s played himself into the first round easily. Could be a huge loss for Texas Tech at season’s end.

I’m also hoping punkate from WVU declares.

• @BeddieKU23 definitely going to be a big test for Beard next season.

• @BeddieKU23

If Smith comes back he would be a conference POY candidate next season. Would not surprise me to see Konate tries the draft; hopefully he hires an agent and when the NBA passes he ends up playing in Eastern Europe with the Ball kids.

• @JayHawkFanToo

I agree with all of it. Smith is really good and would only get better with the guys they have leaving creating a bigger role for him. I think he’s in a good position to take advantage of “while the iron is hot” though and an athlete like that can contribute at the next level without being a finished product.

It’s been a long time since I’ve wanted an underclassmen to move on as much as I want Konate to leave. Classless player. Doesn’t belong

• BeddieKU23 said:

FYI Mo Bamba declared for the draft.

Also Lindell Wigginton has decided to enter but will not hire an agent. I think he’ll get invited to the Combine which can help him. I have a feeling he returns for his Soph year on what should be a better ISU team and leaves after next year.

This is just as well. Shaka seemed not to know what to do with such a great match up advantage.