What happened to the Bill & Mary Player that Joined KU Briefly Last Summer, then Left?

• What team did he finally join and what kind of season did he have?

• I haven’t been able to find anything on him, so I am curious as well.

• What ever happened to Sweet Baby Jane?

• Wow, this guy did the disappear-o!

• Wasn’t he a grad student?

• @Hawk69 Yes. He left KU entirely after quitting the team.

• “The oligarch grabs nine cookies for himself then says to the white dude, “Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!”

—@BShark

I like the spirit of your tag line, and always think of it amended as follow.

“The oligarch grabs nine cookies for himself then says to the white dude, “Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!” And then, randomly switching monikers for the cookie thief to watch watch out for, says the same to the black dude, the Hispanic dude, the central Asian dude, the Asian dude, the European dude, the Arab dude, the Persian dude, the African dude and all the dudes of the world.”

Rock Chalk!

• Signed May 1, gone July 19. What could have happened? We will never know, mainly because all of the KU reporters are a**-kissing lackeys more worried about yucking it up with coach Self than anything else.

• @HighEliteMajor Or possibly people who know–the staff and players–have banded together to protect his privacy.

• Agree…That is one ‘tight-lipped’ crowd in Lawrence (reporters and staff/players)…the Preston debacle comes immediately to mind, too…nary a sliver of newsworthy commentary on that saga either causing my imagination to fill in the blanks (which is never good!).

• @mayjay Oh, I agree … but my point has always been, regarding similar matters, the questions are never even asked. They’re not asked of the players at any interview session, they are not asked of any assistant coaches, they are not asked of coach Self. In fact, I have never heard any real probing question or follow up.

It is a clique of so-called reporters that value access over everything else. The only “reporting” is of the sensationalistic variety, the kind where news outlets use a non-sports reporter for, the kind where they re-hash old news as 95% of the story.

Now, do I strongly desire such questions to be asked regarding personal matters related to college kids? No, I really don’t. I’m fine with the privacy end of it when it might be a personal matter. If Whitman had an illness, ok. No need to get into that. But if Dedric Lawson and Whitman got into a fight, or Evan Maxwell left because he was not enamored with pot smoking or other team issues, I’m interested. I’m interested because that sort of stuff impacts on court performance.

Dedric Lawson got suspended for an “altercation” and how he handled it. What I know is that Lightfoot had a broken nose and Whitman left the program. It is not hard to surmise that Lawson’s “altercation” was most likely related to one, or the other. But no one asks the question. No one probes the issue.

Why? It would upset the King.

Of course, Whitman could have had an illness. And that could have been a behind the scenes whisper so no question is asked. But no other questions get asked on other issues, either.

As a KU fan, of course, it might be better for our program if questions don’t get asked about internal matters. I grant that.

I guess I have always had more of an issue with with the lapdog reporters when Self made absurd statements about losses, style of play, excuses, etc., and the media just nod their heads. His claims have always gone unchallenged. Self is a pretty honest guy. I think if reporters challenged him on a topic with a precise line of questioning, we’d get more and better insight. But when Self makes simply absurd statements, like losing to Stanford being caused by missing “bunnies”, it’s really insulting to our intelligence. Some lap it up like milk and honey, but freer minds know better. But others knew and discussed ahead of the tourney that just proceeding status quo without Embiid was a sure fire formula for failure. Heck, even the game announcer commented on the obvious benefits of moving Wiggins to the high post to free him up. No reporter even probed the issue. So we are left with “bunnies.”

And even moreso, the things like the Billy Preston deal where we’re talking about public monies spent on eligibility, his mom spouting off, etc., and speculation as @CRH107 mentioned. We deserve to know what happened there. We deserve to know the facts.

Anyway, Bedore, Newell, Tait, et. al., can’t risk upsetting Self, apparently. So he can say whatever he says unchallenged. It’s always been that way.

• 💤

• Evan Maxwell left because he wasn’t good enough at basketball which the staff quickly figured out. He’s been playing NAIA ball, which is kind of all you need to know there.

Whitman didn’t want to be the 4th big on a team that plays one. Didn’t even end up on a team this year. Appears to have quit basketball.

Not sure what anyone expects with the Preston situation. No program would have released the facts there. Seems quite obvious he got paid, but KU isn’t going to put that out there for so many reasons. It would be extremely bad for business.

• @BShark Maxwell had little choice if he wanted to play, correct? He was stuck. He couldnt go to an NCAA D-1 school this last fall.

And on Whitman, nothing changed from the time he signed over the next 2 1/2 months. It seems the roster was exactly the same. We had Doke, Preston, and Lightfoot. Am I overlooking something there? To determine “why”, the changes in events/circumstances are where to start.

On Preston, I understand info may not be offered. What I see with so-called reporters is zero investigation. As a taxpayer, a KU donor, a KU grad, and a guy who had paid for two kids at KU, I’m interested in what we spent the money on. Are you interested? I know one of my KU buddies doesn’t care at all as long as we get no negative repercussions.

• @HighEliteMajor From what I understand Whitman thought he was going to play, then realized he was last in the pecking order and quit. Some kind of official statement would have been nice but maybe it was his request to not put out a reason.

Maxwell could have went to DII, that’s a lot more competitive than NAIA imo. From my understanding he just wasn’t nearly as good as the staff hoped for. He was just a flyer that didn’t work out.

• @BShark Ok. Did you happen to hear who Dedric’s altercation was with? The “rumor”’of course was always Mitch.

Weird that Whitman would think that he would either be in front of Preston or Doke, or alternatively that he would leave based on competition with Mitch.

• HighEliteMajor said:

@BShark Maxwell had little choice if he wanted to play, correct? He was stuck. He couldnt go to an NCAA D-1 school this last fall.

And on Whitman, nothing changed from the time he signed over the next 2 1/2 months. It seems the roster was exactly the same. We had Doke, Preston, and Lightfoot. Am I overlooking something there? To determine “why”, the changes in events/circumstances are where to start.

On Preston, I understand info may not be offered. What I see with so-called reporters is zero investigation. As a taxpayer, a KU donor, a KU grad, and a guy who had paid for two kids at KU, I’m interested in what we spent the money on. Are you interested? I know one of my KU buddies doesn’t care at all as long as we get no negative repercussions.

The silence is frusterating. When there is a suspension I understand when Self says it has been handled inside the team. We don’t know what happened but the player is sitting one game or so on.

When we see a player not playing to potential or lack of hustle l understand it is kept under the carpet if he is sick or slightly injured to avoid signaling the competition.

When an incident such as Preston has ended, fans deserve the most complete explanation they can be given. When they are given nothing, that’s a slap in the face.

One more reason to fire Zenger.