COACHING CAROUSEL

• Tubby is out at Memphis. Penny seems to be who they want.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaabk/tubby-smith-is-out-at-memphis-and-penny-hardaway-might-be-his-replacement/ar-BBKaHY5?ocid=spartanntp

Feel free to update or correct anything/info on this thread as pretty certain there will be more changes in the near future after the NCAA & NIT are over. Thanks for grammatical correction @JayHawkFanToo

• Just adding a few coaches that have already been fired:

1. Mark Fox - Georgia
    2. Kevin Ollie - UConn
    3. Kevin Stallings - Pitt
    4. Jeff Lebo - East Carolina

Ole Miss has replaced Andy Kennedy with Kermit Davis (Middle Tennessee State), so the MTSU job is open. That’s it for main conferences so far, though there’s no guarantee there won’t be action in the ACC, Pac-12, and especially the Big 10 with several teams having disappointing seasons. I think the SEC is done shaking things up, honestly. I wouldn’t be surprised if Richard Pitino (Minnesota) was canned for off court issues, and it won’t be a complete shock if the Arizona and UCLA jobs open up as well.

David Padgett was the interim at Louisville. They have not yet named him the full time guy, so that job is sort of open.

According to the Coaching Carousel website (http://www.coachesdatabase.com/basketball-coaching-carousel-2018/), there are currently 26 openings at the D1 level, and that doesn’t yet include guys at the end of their contracts that may not return, or any further firings or job changes.

I would imagine the Big 12 will be relatively quiet this year. Prohm would be the only guy that might be in some jeopardy. Everyone else is probably reasonably safe because they either made the tournament, overachieved relative to expectations, or has a strong enough track record to endure one rough year. There are a lot of low to mid major schools with openings right now, so the grad transfer market might heat up soon.

• @justanotherfan Thanks for the assist. Ollie had slipped my mind but that tends to happen more easily these days. Stallings as well.

• Unemployed coach of a national champion: Kevin Ollie.

This makes me sick to my stomach!

• Ollie —-> LB

Stallings—> LB

Tough sledding for LB disciples.

• @Buster-1926

Perhaps the title of the thread should be coaching “carousel” rather than “carousal”…Freudian slip? :smiley:

• Kevin Ollie’s record as a HC is pretty poor. His second year he had best season when he finished 12-6 and tied for 3rd in the American Atlantic Conference and lucked out into the National Title with players he inherited. With his own players his best finish is tied for 5th and not a single one of his recruits has made it to the NBA.

He was fired “for cause” which he is contesting and it will get messy. Connecticut Legislature has already indicated they will not provide money to pay his buyout if he prevails. Too bad he could not be fired for poor performance.

• @JayHawkFanToo

UConn should have just fired him without cause. Trying to fire him with cause was bound to get pushback because he is going to fight it, which may affect their ability to hire a new coach (who wants to take that job if you’re in litigation with the guy that was there before?). Paying the buyout is easier than attacking him as a person.

If they just fire him for not winning games, they are out of it paying the buyout but no other issues. Trying to get out of the buyout will likely cost even more money, even if they ultimately win.

• @justanotherfan

It is $10M that apparently they do not have and the state legislature said they will not pay either. In any case, it appears that there is an upcoming NCAA report that will outline program violations under his watch that will justify the firing for cause. Ollie was a poor choice and he was hired based largely because of his legacy status.

• Tom Crean very likely to be the next HC at UGA.

• @jaybate-1-0 I thought Stallings was one of Roy’s fail parade of assistants that went on to head coach

• BShark said:

Tom Crean very likely to be the next HC at UGA.

This is all but official now.

• I would be shocked to see any coaching changes in the B12 at this point. @justanotherfan I think Prohm is pretty save at this point, one bad year after who they lost. I think the seat is getting hot on our buddy Lon down in Norman. He returned everyone from a year ago for the most part and added a top recruit. They really stunk up the place the last 2 months of the season, everyone knows they only got in for viewership and ratings, any other team in that situation not being a blue blood (big fan bases) most likely is in the NIT.

• @BShark

I read UConn and Pitt were making a strong push for him.

• @BShark

I read that late last night. One man’s ceiling is another one’s floor…so true for coaches in general.

• @JayHawkFanToo Lots of former IU coaches doing well. Heh.

• @BShark

I always get a laugh when a coach that was fired due to poor results is hired somewhere else as the answer. The Chief hired Hem Edwards who had an overall loosing record and expected to win, but at least he had a few decent seasons; Romeo Crennel on the other hand had one winning season in 4 years and a 0.375 winning record and the Chiefs though he could be a winning coach? SMH.

• @JayHawkFanToo Otoh Belicheck was fired by the Browns. There is a large amount of nepotism in coaching though, especially true in SEC football. Muschamp is a prime example of that.

• @JayHawkFanToo

Sometimes the previous fit wasn’t right. I remember a long time ago there was an NFL coach that had only one winning season in five years, and an overall losing record as a head coach. He got hired by a new team and promptly went 5-11 in his first season, the exact same record he led his team to the season he was fired in his previous job.

That guy was Bill Belichick. He won the Super Bowl the very next year, and hasn’t looked back. Some guys just need the right situation and a second chance.

Crennel had one winning season in four years in Cleveland. The Chiefs handed him probably one of the worst rosters they have ever had. Seriously look at this. He went an almost predictable 2-14. He really shouldn’t have taken the job.

Crennel is a great coodinator, but not a great head coach.

Darn it, @BShark stole my thunder.

• I’m probably most interested in who ends up with that ECU job. Would be a great building block type of job for a young guy.

UConn cheated under Calhoun and is the only reason that program ever got off of the ground. I don’t expect them to return to prominence.

Pitt might as well just quit playing basketball at this point lol.

I still think Miller ends up on this list. Program is just in shambles at this point. $10M is a tough pill to swallow, but they might just have to do that.

Looks like your connection to KU Buckets was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.