FLOOR BURN AWARD: KU @ OSU - March 1

• Well… it is March, and we know what comes in March… March Madness! I’d say I’ve started my month of March in total madness!

Joel Embiid is the clear winner of the FLOOR BURN AWARD in this one. His stat line was impressive, especially knowing he did it all in 29 minutes of play, and some of those minutes of play were in pain. JoJo was good for 13 points off of 4-of-6 from the floor. He accomplished yet another double-double by adding 13 rebounds. And he rounded out his performance with one assist, 3 steals and a block. JoJo was a big part of the defensive force in the first half that limited the Cowboys to only 25 points.

Wayne Selden deserves a honorable mention for putting up solid numbers. He knocked down 13 points off of 5-for-9 from the floor. He also had 2 rebounds.

Andrew Wiggins and Perry Ellis also deserve mention for holding up their own and providing the opportunity for us to win the game considering we were totally lacking leadership on the floor.

Tough loss from just a bad game that was as tough to watch as it was to play.

Conference Season Tally:

Wayne Selden 7

Andrew Wiggins 6

Joel Embiid 6

Tarik Black 4

Perry Ellis 4

Naadir Tharpe 4

Frank Mason 2

Brannen Greene 1

Landen Lucas 1

Conner Frankamp 1

Jamari Traylor 1

Andrew White III 1

Justin Wesley 1

Evan Manning 1

Niko Roberts 1

Christian Garrett 1

• @drgnslayr struggling w/this post this game. Who guarded smart 2nd half? Selden? Tharpe did a good job on Forte. I’m cowering! I’ve never seen Forte have a bad game against us. Puzzling he didn’t even attempt many shots. Waiting to hear about Embiids back. I’m going to wed. Game. Pretty sure I’ll see a fired up team. Extremely sour taste from last night. I’ll go w/Embiid pick, and Selden a good first half. All I got.

• @Crimsonorblue22

I’d like us to rest Embiid… maybe all the way until March Madness. He certainly improved after his last break. These back tweaks can escalate. All the floor pounding will prevent him from healing.

If we can get him health for the tourney, he’ll be able to squeeze in some rest from week to week and heal in preparation for the next games.

I’m really liking Wayne’s game… his year started off slow and has done nothing but build. We don’t have lots of consistent players on this team, but Wayne is starting to play more consistent and helps us in one area we need help with: playing consistent!

Maybe we need to draw up more plays to get Wayne his open 3 shot!

• @drgnslayr I think Self worries Embiid will lose his edge? Not sure that’s the best word. Not knowing a kid that well, you wonder how tough he is. You know from athletics, injuries hurt a whole lot worse when you lose! I’m not doubting the seriousness, just have no idea, and I wouldn’t jeopardize his health!

• @Crimsonorblue22

His fall seemed to be on his stomach. But back tweaks are mysterious and can get inflamed again easily. Maybe it isn’t that bad.

• @drgnslayr looked like he took the hit on his lower back on one side.

• He’s susceptible for problems even on a simple rebound landing.

Tough decision… he is still rapidly improving with more practice… but any play puts him at risk.