The Coach of the year?

• Banned

As Jayhawks fans we have witnessed what Coach has done this year. This his weakest team. Yet the beat goes on.

I’m curious as to what some of think?

1. Do you put more stock in a coach that takes a team from the bottom of the league, and takes them to the top of the league?

2. Or do put more stock in a coach that keeps his team at the top of the league year after year?

I understand in my thinking only blue blood Coaches would only win the Coach of the year. Yet I’m not trying to dismiss that Coach that truly does something special. Just thinking that Coach like Self don’t get as much credit has they deserve. Not saying climbing the latter of success isn’t hard. Yet staying on stop is all most impossible has everybody is gunning for you.

Example look at Shaka Smart? Dude was the cats meow at VCU. Since signing his big contract and playing with the big boys of coaching. He has been quite average at best.

Anyways what say you?

• DoubleDD said:

As Jayhawks fans we have witnessed what Coach has done this year. This his weakest team. Yet the beat goes on.

I’m curious as to what some of think?

1. Do you put more stock in a coach that takes a team from the bottom of the league, and takes them to the top of the league?

2. Or do put more stock in a coach that keeps his team at the top of the league year after year?

I understand in my thinking only blue blood Coaches would only win the Coach of the year. Yet I’m not trying to dismiss that Coach that truly does something special. Just thinking that Coach like Self don’t get as much credit has they deserve. Not saying climbing the latter of success isn’t hard. Yet staying on stop is all most impossible has everybody is gunning for you.

Example look at Shaka Smart? Dude was the cats meow at VCU. Since signing his big contract and playing with the big boys of coaching. He has been quite average at best.

Anyways what say you?

You say this is coaches weakest team and all 5 starters are going to be in the NBA next season?

• Banned

@Gunman

I hope you’re right. Just don’t see it though.

• @DoubleDD

Shaka has been a big disappointment. He just doesn’t seem to be able to translate to the big stage.

He’s recruited some talent. Hard to believe Texas is where they are with Mo in the middle.

• Shaka’s ‘15 minutes of fame’ is one signature win against our HOF coach…and Shaka should be sending a ‘thank you’ note to Self every year Shaka remains in a power conference.

• I think Self will be in the discussion, but I think Tony Bennett is going to win it this year.

• When you are a the bottom the only way to go is up since the other team tend to take you for granted. A lot more difficult to stay at the top year after year with every team gunning for you.

Look at the best game just about every KU opponent has played all season, it was probably against KU. Texas Tech and OU. among others, learned the hard way what it is like to be one with the bull’s eye. Amazing what coach Self has done.

1. No I don’t put more stock in that scenario. Coaches like Chris Beard of Tech, Chris Holtmann of Ohio St, Bruce Pearl of Auburn, Rick Barnes of Tennessee fit the bill. Each has done a wonderful job this year considering the low expectations for all of those teams.

2. Depends really. Winning #14 gives Self a record no other coach or team has. Otherwise our 24-6 record is no different then any other year in the Self regime. Virginia is having an outstanding year and they simply defend better then any team in the country every night.

I think the race is between Bennett, Self, Mack of Xavier & Holtmann of Ohio St.

• From ESPN Power Rankings: Don’t our “quadrant” wins beat what every other team has done?

1. Kansas Jayhawks Record: 23-6 Last week: 4 Fourteen straight Big 12 titles. When will we learn to stop doubting the Jayhawks? Moreover, Kansas continues to pad its number of Quadrant 1 and 2 wins. The Jayhawks now lead the nation with 11 Quadrant 1 wins and 18 Quadrant 1 and 2 wins – four more than anyone else.

• Bennett will win it. I don’t think this is Self’s weakest team. I’m not yet convinced that next year we will be better. You’ve got two senior starters (one is our PG) on this team and a footer with the get better gene. We are lacking 1 big. Otherwise, this team is loaded.

• @approxinfinity How do you lose with two sr. starters that average 41% combined three point shooting on high volume, and the nations #1 2pt shooter as well?

• It’s rhetorical don’t come at me talking about free throws and rebounding… lol

• @CRH107

Shaka has been thanking Bill ever since he joined the Big 12! lol

• @Texas-Hawk-10

I’m with you. Bennett should get it and no one can say Virginia is where they are just because they have a star player or two. They are at the top because they defend… and they do it better than anyone!

• @Gunman You really think all 5 of these guys are gonna going pro? Svi and DG have a chance to get drafted but are projected in the second round, I dont think anyone else goes and if they did probably only Doke would get drafted.

• I believe it was ESPN that turned out a list of the top 100 NBA prospects a few days ago Graham was #39 behind Carter of wvu. Svi was 69 and Vick was 66. No other KU player was listed.

• kjayhawks said:

@Gunman You really think all 5 of these guys are gonna going pro? Svi and DG have a chance to get drafted but are projected in the second round, I dont think anyone else goes and if they did probably only Doke would get drafted.

I don’t think anybody leaves early for the pros, but that thought of Vick and Newman leaving shows up a lot in our threads. I think Doke will make more money if he stays another year at KU but

• @Gunman There’s going to be at least one non senior leave the program after this season. Whether it’s an early entrant or a transfer, KU currently has 14 scholarships committed to next season which means someone, my money would be on either Vick or Cunliffe, transfers out of the program.

• Texas Hawk 10 said:

@Gunman There’s going to be at least one non senior leave the program after this season. Whether it’s an early entrant or a transfer, KU currently has 14 scholarships committed to next season which means someone, my money would be on either Vick or Cunliffe, transfers out of the program.

This is correct. It became the case once Agbaji committed. Given that KU is still recruiting Romeo and took some other looks, there is speculation 2 will leave. I’d love to see Newman hang around though.