NCAA Basketball Corruption?

• If there are federal indictments brought, whether we agree with them or not, they have passed a minimum legal bar by being brought by a grand jury. There has to be a case (or cases) showing the possible breaking of a law or laws. The judicial system leaves very little room for politics to be injected.

• @mayjay The problems are in the top tier, corrupted by a political agenda, as you mentioned. I do think you should consider that the corruption you speak of is a touch more pervasive than you have acknowledged.

• @mayjay What he said.

• @drgnslayr The term prosecutorial discretion leaves a huge void for politics. A prosecutor can choose what charges to bring, and what crimes to ignore, and can decide what person he/she would like to pressure(extort) for information by the threat of destroying that person’s life.

• @mayjay

You realized that Hoover has been dead for over 45 years, right? Back then we did not have internet or cable news or the access to information we have now so the average American had little information on what went on and believed the FBI did a good job and did not have the bad impression it has now.

The agency was cleaned up extensively after Hoover and was generally considered to be doing a good job. In the last few year, the FBI along with other government agencies was “weaponized” to become an arm of a political party. This not to say that every employee and agent is corrup but then, policy is no made by the rank and file but comes from the top where the problem lies. If you don’t see that then I don’t know what to tell you.

In a previous post you said…

”The targets, in case anyone hasn’t noticed, are universities.”

Really? The indictment indicates that the universities are the victims…so, which is it?

This reminds me of Chinatown…

Evelyn Mulwray: She’s my daughter.

[Gittes slaps Evelyn]

Jake Gittes: I said I want the truth!

Evelyn Mulwray: She’s my sister…

[slap]

Evelyn Mulwray: She’s my daughter…

[slap]

Evelyn Mulwray: My sister, my daughter.

[More slaps]

Jake Gittes: I said I want the truth!

Evelyn Mulwray: She’s my sister AND my daughter!

Or perhaps…

FBI: OK, University xxx, you have to testify since you are the victim.

University xxx: But, but, but…aren’t We also the target?

FBI: Yes, you are but you have to testify anyway.

University xxx: Wouldn’t we then be testifying against ourselves?

FBI: Yes, but you would also be testifying for you…

University xxx: Thanks but no thanks, we are good and we are not testifying.

• @drgnslayr

That is really not the way it works in real life. Attorneys have an expression that says…a grand jury will indict a ham sandwich. Grand jury rules are heavily biased towards the prosecution and getting an indictment really does not say much to the actual merits of the case only that the largely one sided and uncontested information presented by the prosecutor meets some minimum threshold.

Considering how known to be false information was recently used to obtain warrants in FISA court, can you be sure it is not the same case here?

• @JayHawkFanToo A good reputation under Hoover was undeserved. Thus, the word “historians” in my post.

JFK had an undeserved general reputation as the All American cookie cutter husband with a beautiful wife. It is now known to have been as mythical as the Camelot whose name was used for the WH.

Reputations change as more facts come out. Unless you disagree, I hope you are not proud of the FBI’s work at Hoover’s behest to destroy lives and blackmail his opponents.

The argument, “The FBI may have been a tool of a power-mad fascist, but people didn’t know it because we were ignorant, so wow! what a great reputation it had!” is absurd.

• @mayjay The FBI is a joke I don’t wanna get into on this thread (or really any other lol) but big changes are needed in that agency.

• Self believes he’s clean as does Williams, interesting…

• @kjayhawks Most agencies. So long as influence and money determine who leads agencies, rather than expertise, they will not perform properly. This has been a problem under both parties.

• @mayjay

Spoken like a lawyer. I never said I agreed with what Hoover or the FBI under Hoover did, right? I believe what he did was a travesty and unprecedented and he accumulated so much power that presidents were afraid to fire him so he marched on.

I also clearly said that people back then did not have access to the information we have now so they did not know what went on under Hoover so, even if it was by ignorance, the opinion of the FBI was not as bad as it seems to be now, right?

I was never a fan of John Kennedy or the Kennedy clan. I though he was a below average president with a pretty bankrupt moral compass.

• @JayHawkFanToo Let’s agree to drop it from here. And not take it elsewhere.

• @drgnslayr different types of lemmings. That my friend is a home run post on so many levels.

I’m still chuckling.

As a matter of fact-I’m going to steal it-it has so many uses. If I get any royalties, where should I submit them!?

• @HighEliteMajor I believe part of the discrepancy can be explained by Self’s position as president of the College bball coaches assoc.

• @Bwag

Thanks!

Post your royalties to:

Save The Lemmings, LLC
    US Capital Building
    6969 Gullible Way
    Washington, DC 00000-0000

• @Bwag My first reaction was that Roy was being forceful, because he was concerned.

• See: Bagley, Marvin.

• Read that the recent reports are about the documents seized from Millers computer. I see no KU players signed with him if that makes anyone feel slightly better.

However, Tarc from Arizona and Turner from Texas were both clients. Both misses who were perceived leans.

Couple of Syracuse players. Peyton Siva.

• I just don’t see this next round being about Adidas teams. If it is really so devastating to college basketball, covering half the top 16, then it must be (largely) about Nike schools.

• Andy Miller and ASM is probably the biggest worry to programs.

http://amp.si.com/college-basketball/2018/02/21/fbi-investigation-players-payments-spreadsheets

Don’t see any KU players tied to ASM

• @Buster-1926

Yeah you have to sift through the real and the assumptions at this point until actual information is leaked out from the courts.

If the NCAA’s gets its hands on information about players which can lead back to coaches etc that’s going to be interesting.

• Buster 1926 said:

@BeddieKU23 About tournament time there will likely be all sorts of rumors, spin, accusations, etc., JMO. Maybe we’ll be able to connect the dots to Russian bots !!

Yeah I agree and that would be a bad look for the tournament if that happens. Would be typical and par for the course with reporters though.

We seem to be getting these odd insider reports that are detailed just enough to grab your attention but not enough to be front page news. I think 3 of the cases don’t go before a jury until later this year or 2019 so its likely this type of reporting continues. It is widely believed Andy Miller is cooperating and that is why his situation is likely to open up the most can of worms right now. There’s no telling when all his documents and information makes its way to the public. He has no court date or charges at the moment I believe…

• @JayHawkFanToo Exactly. So if I work for a company — Nike, Kraft, Wal-Mart — a kid signs a NLI with KU, and I go to him to endorse my product, and I employ a family friend to help convince the kid to make the deal, is that criminal fraud? A conspiracy to defraud?

An assistant coach doing it is employed by the university. Seems like a civil matter. Firing him if it violated his contract.

Edit: Realized I’m responding to your post from 5 days ago. Scrolling must be a challenge for me.

• @HighEliteMajor

No problem. I sometimes have to remind myself to go to the next page since Firefox display only 50 post per page.

Nice to see we agree on something. We have enough oversight with the NCAA already; one would think the FBI has more important things to do, like follow up on threats of school mass shootings.

• drgnslayr said:

What I will never understand… where was the DOJ when it came to the UNC bogus classes?

That should have been an obvious federal case.

Nothing.

Then… here comes this case. Perhaps this case is important because all kinds of fines can be levied?

Yeah… I smell corruption… but it isn’t just the corruption of coaches.

Yeah, at least UNC should have been prosecuted for impersonating a university. “The Carolina Way.” Really.