2019 Recruiting

• FarmerJayhawk said:

Update on the JRE front. They’re selling Bacot up 15-501 to Dook to try to clear the way for JRE.

Are you saying they are not recruiting Bacot anymore??

• Woodrow said:

@jayballer73

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2019/zeke-nnaji-70315

got it thanks. - I checked out 247 and it shows Wisconsin in the lead at 43% - Indiana 29% & KU 29% - but interesting

• @Woodrow Bacot has always wanted Duke more than UNC, and looks like Duke is going to take him as their second big guy in this class.

• Indiana definitely wants Nnaji. They did report the KU offer was the one he wanted. Seems all the schools involved are in the midwest.

• At this point I think we try to get a visit and see what happens. I think there’s a chance we lose 3 bigs so might as well take 3.

• FarmerJayhawk said:

At this point I think we try to get a visit and see what happens. I think there’s a chance we lose 3 bigs so might as well take 3.

Or my concern might be does KU staff have some inside scoop that we might be losing out on Hurt or Robinson thusly the quick surge for the new one.- I see we had 4 cb’s just on him today alone ranked # 29 in 247 looks kind of thin hadn’t really heard much on him - I just hope we aren’t losing ground with Robinson Earle - - for me personally he is my # 1 get. - - ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• jayballer73 said:

FarmerJayhawk said:

At this point I think we try to get a visit and see what happens. I think there’s a chance we lose 3 bigs so might as well take 3.

Or my concern might be does KU staff have some inside scoop that we might be losing out on Hurt or Robinson thusly the quick surge for the new one.- I see we had 4 cb’s just on him today alone ranked # 29 in 247 looks kind of thin hadn’t really heard much on him - I just hope we aren’t losing ground with Robinson Earle - - for me personally he is my # 1 get. - - ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

AAU teammate of Hurt.

I think this offer is the staff going over evaluations during the dead period and realizing he’d be a good fit here.

• Got a question , now I understand that a lot feel like he is headed quite possibly to UNC but I read an article on Josh Green this morning and him cutting his list very soon and he was breaking down the schools and his impressions of the schools

He brought up KU’S name and he said: - - Coach Self really , really likes me. - how he thought Josh could come in and fit right in right away , and how Josh is a friend of Silvio’s and talking to him about how Silvio liked it - -really talking KU up more then some of the other schools named I think anyways

So the question is - -do we have a shot? - -I think we do - -call me crazy - I just feels like our chances might be better then what some perceive holler let me know. - -ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• I like Green a lot. It’s going to be really tough to a wing of his caliber with Garrett and KJ coming back. Now if KJ decides to go pro after this year, that’s a different deal. UNC and Arizona are the top 2 right now IMO.

• @jayballer73 If he ends up committing early, next to no chance. If he’s a spring commit, KU’s chances go up, but still aren’t that high. KU would likely need both Grimes and KJ Lawson to leave after this year, or there’s enough people in the front court that leave that KJ is forced into the 4 spot.

Garrett is a non factor in playing time for Green as long as Grimes is OAD. Garrett would slide into the second ball handler role which he is more than capable of handling.

KJ is the biggest hurdle to landing Green.

• well read where we just picked up another CB for this Zeke NNaji. That makes 5 CB"S in just the last 2 days since we have heard anything on him. - -This pick was from Jerry Meyer I suppose we could take all3 maybe Hurt – -Robinson Earle & Nnaji would be the # 6 - - # 18 - - & # 29 are we losing that much in the front Court? - guess possibly Vick - - -Doke – & Dedric I guess

• Wouldn’t surprise me if Silvio played himself into the draft.

• Josh Green cut his list to 6. Arizona, USC, Nova, UNLV, UNC, and KU.

Pretty sure he is UNC bound, but still someone to keep a eye on.

• Doesn’t sound good for KU:

Paul Biancardi Basketball Recruiting ESPN

Espn no.8 Josh Green cut his final list to six schools. He gives his thoughts to Espn on each program. Villanova: “A great school. They have an extremely successful history, especially over the last few years, winning two national championships. They have a great coaching staff who are very good at developing the team and players and helping them get to the next level.” UNLV: “An opportunity for me to be able to get back out on the court with my brother Jay again. This means a lot to me as he has helped me so much in my progression as a basketball player, and I’d love for us to win a Mountain West title and help keep the program getting better and better.” UNC: “A program with amazing history and they are consistently successful both as a team, and also at developing players. Growing up as a kid it was my dream school, so it’s very cool for me to be able to say I could have the opportunity to play there, and for Roy Williams.” Kansas: “Also a school with a history of success, and they have had many good guards come through the school and achieve great things.” Arizona: “They have been with me since the start. They have a great program and staff who have really developed players well and have been very successful every year in the Pac 12.” USC: “They have already got about the best recruiting class in my age group, and will be a top team in 2019. Their program is very strong and I know I would come out a much better player.”

• @dylans

Agreed but sounds to me he really is not as familiar with the KU basketball program as he is with the others; either a lack of real interest or failure to do his own homework on the schools in his latest selection.

• 90% sure it’s UNC for Green.

• Looks like Bacot is announcing for UNC tonight. Not sure what affect if any that will have on JRE. Also looks like Roy is going to get Tre Mann as they are trending for him.

I am hoping we can get someone to pop at Late Night or shortly after to get the ball rolling and some momentum for this class.

• Also has anyone hear if KU is even recruiting DJ Jeffries? I saw he set some visits and KU wasn’t on the list…

• Woodrow said:

Looks like Bacot is announcing for UNC tonight. Not sure what affect if any that will have on JRE. Also looks like Roy is going to get Tre Mann as they are trending for him.

I am hoping we can get someone to pop at Late Night or shortly after to get the ball rolling and some momentum for this class.

I was wondering about UNC and Earle too with Bacot - -but then thought again They list Earle as a PF - - - & Bacot as a Center so that really wouldn’t have an impact on Earle

• Woodrow said:

Also has anyone hear if KU is even recruiting DJ Jeffries? I saw he set some visits and KU wasn’t on the list…

Not that I’m aware of. Looks like Memphis or SEC schools have the best chance of getting him. I would bet its Memphis though

• UNC is going to have quite a few big men back along with Bacot. PT isn’t plentiful for JRE. At worst he’s the 3rd big here.

• Here is something to get you by. Judge dismisses Pitino’s lawsuit against Adidas, indicates they must go to arbitration as per contract. He still has a lawsuit against the University.

• well was able to pick up on some tidbits from our old friend. -: saw where we didn’t make Jalen Lecque’s final 7 AND we didn’t make Josiah James cut either but that was pretty much a given.

So now got a couple of questions, I know we are supposed to be getting a visit and I think it’s this month but has anybody heard when Kofi Cockburn is coming in?

Then heard where we made Issac McBrides final 4. - -Someone give me the scoop Bshark says he is betTer then his ranking let me know. - -ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• Michigan St has made a move for Malik Hall offering after getting him to unofficial this week. KU has lurked in his recruitment at times

• @jayballer73

Kid can shoot and has good handles. But we have Jacobs still on board and Moore.I can’t see us taking a 3rd short guard with average athleticism. Eric Bossi says he reminds a bit of Frank Mason and I see the comps watching highlights of him.

Here’s what Bossi said

Why did his stock rise? Last week in Las Vegas, I probably got asked more about No. 4 (McBride) of the Joe Johnson Hawks than any other player I came across. So, I settled in to figure out why and his tough and confident play were why. He can score it from deep, finishes at the rim and has a calming presence about him. Is he as good as Frank Mason was? I’m not sure, but he reminds a bit of what Mason looked like when he really started to take off and went to prep school to wait out a scholarship release from Towson.

• Bacot went with UNC.

UNC insiders still think JRE is KU’s to lose.

• JRE down to Five.

KU, UNC, Notre Dame, Arizona, Villanova. Window dressing a few in there

• KU better lock in JRE before he gets full swing into IMG. With Green almost assuredly going to UNC, JRE will have Bacot and Green in his ear while playing and practicing with them daily.

• JRE will sign in the fall.

IN HIS OWN WORDS Robinson-Earl broke discussed some of what he likes about each of his finalists.

Arizona: “When I went down on the visit, it was a great campus and a great location. The Pac-12 always has pro teams in each city so you are going to have NBA scouts at each game and practice though if you are good enough they will find you anywhere. I like them because they showed me what they can do specifically with my position. They do a thing called Phoenix push where the bigs can get the ball and push ahead for the guards.”

Kansas: “Obviously its the home town, it’s close and family is there. Coach (Bill) Self can do a lot of stuff that can utilize my position. Even though they have had some guys like Frank Mason and Devonte Graham who have been some of the best guards in the country they still have plenty of threes and fours who they get ready for the next level and use. They can develop guys for the league whether you are a freshman one and done or a four year guy.”

North Carolina: “Roy Williams is one of the most legendary coaches so to play for him would be amazing. He coached my dad and he’s coached a lot of great players at the three, four and five. He’s had great guards, but he’s had a lot of great bigs and they are important to him. Also the tradition, it’s North Carolina there’s not a whole lot you need to say about it.”

Notre Dame: “I really like their coaching staff. Coach (Mike) Brey is a great coach and a great person. Coach (Ryan) Humphrey, I have a great relationship with him and have really gotten to know them more as person. The University is a great school and they are really connected for after basketball, so when that’s done you can find a job and stuff.”

Villanova: “One of the reasons is the past three years they’ve won two national championships so they are obviously doing something good up there. I think they like to do a lot of five out or small ball so they will use their bigger guys as a threat on the court. I watched when they played in the Final Four they were able to use their five man and make matchups and spread the floor.”

• BeddieKU23 said:

JRE down to Five.

I think it’s coming down as I’m sure your very well aware KU & UNC

• jayballer73 said:

BeddieKU23 said:

JRE down to Five.

I think it’s coming down as I’m sure your very well aware KU & UNC

YES I THINK IT WILL BE KU OR UNC

• Malik Hall cut KU from his list of schools. Cut down to 5 and KU didn’t make it.

Kind of disappointing to me that we didn’t prioritize a top 50 kid that’s playing local.

• Woodrow said:

Malik Hall cut KU from his list of schools. Cut down to 5 and KU didn’t make it.

Kind of disappointing to me that we didn’t prioritize a top 50 kid that’s playing local.

ya kind of surprises me too. - -but he actually not from here - -just playing here if I remember right

• jayballer73 said:

Woodrow said:

Malik Hall cut KU from his list of schools. Cut down to 5 and KU didn’t make it.

ya kind of surprises me too. - -but he actually not from here - -just playing here if I remember right

That right

• A list of Oklahoma, Michigan State, Oregon, Texas and Purdue screams I want to be the top dog for lesser program rather than ride the pine for an elite program.

• @JayHawkFanToo Michigan State is a contender as long as Izzo is there. The others, I agree 💯

• @approxinfinity

In the last 3 years Michigan in the NCAA…first round, second round, second round.

• @JayHawkFanToo true. We’ve stretches like that too though. They’ve just been one Josh Jackson away from getting over the top 😀

• @Woodrow

Nike influence there. Oregon and Purdue have done a good job on him but Izzo may have turned the tide here. KU never really pressed for him so this was expected, at least he’s not window dressing KU on his list

• well we have discussed this some but yet I still am wondering with this Robinson-Earle right now. - - Reading the NC site , their fans sure seem more and more confident - they feel Robinson Earle is committing to UNC. They bring up points like:

Now with Bacot committing and him and Earle both playing this year for IMG ? right that for sure helps , they say with Lester playing for Roy and being good friends that helps , they say with the chances of Green committing to UNC and is he playing for IMG also? that helps.

They make mention ( now I don’t put a lot into this particular BUT) just like every other fan base - like we had/have with Bshark they have a so called person that is usually spot on and he had told them that UNC is widening their lead with Earle and KU is becoming a distant 2nd… - The another point they try to bring up and I don’t think this has any bearing on this what so ever makes no sense and if I were a member I would say as much - they feel with this FBI issue an KU it’s biting us in the ass. - -My point on this is - - the FBI issue will in no way more likely then not would have any effect on Earle’s standing. WHY? - mainly cause this FBI thing could go on for 2-3 more years - they haven’t even turned anything over to the NCAA yet have they? - this could drag on forever, don’t really think it will have any effect on 2019 recruits.

Then Bshark doesn’t feel as confident with us landing Earle at least that’s kind of the impression I get - -noting that UNC really making a push and let’s be honest they are for sure doing that. - all these things is just another reason when I see this late sure for the new kid - -makes me think that YES - -YES we quite possibly are losing ground on Earle - that being the reason for the new kid on the block. I mean IF for some reason Earle does commit to UNC , we would be ok IF we can still land Hurt and the new kid But DAM I want Earle hate to him slip away - let me hear you. - -ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• @jayballer73

Hurt is still the most coveted recruit at the position JRE plays. He’s better then JRE and a more versatile scorer.

JRE going to IMG wasn’t good for KU, it was good for JRE as a player but it definitely opened the door for UNC with Green/Bacot in his ear. KU will get their shot, hopefully the last visit. I can’t see Self losing this one but who knows what JRE wants for himself. The move to IMG certainly foreshadows he’s okay leaving home.

I still don’t believe offering Nnaji was in any way connected to JRE. JRE’s recruitment is months away from being finished. Normally this would matter if a kid was close to deciding. Lots of kids across the country got offered in the past weeks since the dead period went into effect. Staffs had time to meet and put together evaluations and decide on what they wanted to do.

• Until I hear differently from people in the know, I fully expect JRE at Kansas. People tend to ignore his mom’s family, the Robinson’s. They’re as big of KU people as you’ll find anywhere on the planet.

• BeddieKU23 said:

@jayballer73

Hurt is still the most coveted recruit at the position JRE plays. He’s better then JRE and a more versatile scorer.

JRE going to IMG wasn’t good for KU, it was good for JRE as a player but it definitely opened the door for UNC with Green/Bacot in his ear. KU will get their shot, hopefully the last visit. I can’t see Self losing this one but who knows what JRE wants for himself. The move to IMG certainly foreshadows he’s okay leaving home.

I still don’t believe offering Nnaji was in any way connected to JRE. JRE’s recruitment is months away from being finished. Normally this would matter if a kid was close to deciding. Lots of kids across the country got offered in the past weeks since the dead period went into effect. Staffs had time to meet and put together evaluations and decide on what they wanted to do.

I hope your right. -you are right for sure about not being good for KU with him going to IMG - gonna have Bacot AND Green on him every day. - Agree again I think Hurt is much more valuble - and I think we sit in a much better spot with him then with Earle, if you were to of ask me that a couple of months ago - - maybe not so much.

I just feel that we may be losing ground with Earle. - I also still have to think , hope I’m wrong but this is where we differ maybe some I DO feel that Nnaji’s late recruitment does possibly have something to do - we went so long and nothing on this kid , and then all a sudden BAM. -we might have been looking at him but hadn’t offered , then with UNC entering the picture as strongly as they are all of a sudden we DO offer. true could be an insurance backup I’ve got this feel he has become that insurance backup because staff feels either we might be losing out on Earle OR Hurt. - -Could be wrong - -probably wrong but I’ll feel a lot better when he commits. - Hurt is much better , but really want Earle if for nothing more then rebounding purposes - very strong. - - one of UNC’S thought process is now with them landing Bacot that Roy can promise Earle that he won’t be forced into playing the five - - we will find out fairly soon as he wants to commit in the fall. - - ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• FarmerJayhawk said:

Until I hear differently from people in the know, I fully expect JRE at Kansas. People tend to ignore his mom’s family, the Robinson’s. They’re as big of KU people as you’ll find anywhere on the planet.

I hear ya, and I understand for sure. - just that UNC feels the same way about hearing from people who they believe is in the know. - ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• jayballer73 said:

BeddieKU23 said:

@jayballer73

I hope your right. -you are right for sure about not being good for KU with him going to IMG - gonna have Bacot AND Green on him every day. - Agree again I think Hurt is much more valuble - and I think we sit in a much better spot with him then with Earle, if you were to of ask me that a couple of months ago - - maybe not so much.

I just feel that we may be losing ground with Earle. - I also still have to think , hope I’m wrong but this is where we differ maybe some I DO feel that Nnaji’s late recruitment does possibly have something to do - we went so long and nothing on this kid , and then all a sudden BAM. -we might have been looking at him but hadn’t offered , then with UNC entering the picture as strongly as they are all of a sudden we DO offer. true could be an insurance backup I’ve got this feel he has become that insurance backup because staff feels either we might be losing out on Earle OR Hurt. - -Could be wrong - -probably wrong but I’ll feel a lot better when he commits. - Hurt is much better , but really want Earle if for nothing more then rebounding purposes - very strong. - - one of UNC’S thought process is now with them landing Bacot that Roy can promise Earle that he won’t be forced into playing the five - - we will find out fairly soon as he wants to commit in the fall. - - ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

We’ll see if Green ends up at UNC as the recent buzz suggests. JRE and him are close so that’s what we have to watch for in terms of the IMG thing. Bacot is meaningless in this situation I think but I’m sure people will try and make that one a bigger issue then it is.

I don’t think KU has lost any ground at all. It looks that way because he hasn’t committed and there’s actually another blue-blood program with a connection trying to get him. For almost 3 years now its been widely speculated he was untouchable from KU. The fact he’s open to hearing other programs makes the narrative change.

Self got to coach him this summer which is still the biggest advantage any other coach has in this. If JRE wasn’t sold on Self then, its not meant to be. What else can a coach do at that point?

I would have loved for this recruitment to be over this already but how often do things go according to what fans think/want. It seems every KU recruit drags it out and we spend months, sometimes years waiting for anything to actually happen.

• @jayballer73 most people around UNC think KU is the definite leader and will be an upset to land him.

• FarmerJayhawk said:

@jayballer73 most people around UNC think KU is the definite leader and will be an upset to land him.

well believe me I’m right there with you. Not trying to be Negative Nellie - just worried – just a Smidge, in all reality I still feel like you that he will land here - of 247 yes I know only 9 predictions so far - -BUT all 9 have been for KU and that’s with UNC getting in and pushing for him - -at the present hasn’t been enough for any of these so called experts that has made a prediction for UNC. - -Doesn’t mean they won’t With him being so close to KU up until recently got plenty of saturation of KU - not sure how many games he saw in person - -my guess is ALOT. Then Coach Self having him this summer sure the hell doesn’t hurt. - Speaking of Hurt the opportunity Coach had this summer for JRE to see that him and Hurt could both play and play together -he ran them a lot together. I know I’m over reacting - that’s just typical me. - would be a really huge lift if he came in for late night again wrap it up - -ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• Tre Mann will host KU for an in-house visit and then visit KU on Sept 21st.

It was looking like KU backed away on his recruitment after he was all set to pick Tennessee from his ‘top 3’. Sifting through Florida and UNC sites you find out he has a handler that’s steering his recruitment and it was seeming Mann was set to commit to UNC in the coming months after they offered and he re-opened his recruitment. I guess it doesn’t hurt to get him on campus and see if anything changes. He definitely fits the profile of player that we need in next years class

• Kai Jones still working through his recruitment. He did have this to say in regards to KU’s interest or his interest…

The Jayahwks’ staff watched Jones on the Under Armour circuit for a particularly impressive game. KU offered, and since that time, Jones has been in close contact with Norm Roberts, while his father has connected with KU coach Bill Self.

Asked if he’d consider taking a visit to KU — Jones has taken one visit so far, which was to Dayton — the No. 100-ranked player in the class of 2019 (No. 23-ranked power forward) wasn’t ready to commit one way or another.

“That’s something I’m still talking about with my family," Jones said. "Still discussing it, as we are with a lot of schools.”

He’s taken one visit to Dayton. Georiga Tech & TCU have all recently got into contact. Stanford & Texas have CB picks for him currently. Doesn’t seem to be in a rush or have any favorites currently.