2019 Recruiting

• https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/news/eric-bossi-s-peach-jam-blog-thursday

tl;dr Self/KU seen as slowplaying Williamson but Self called him personally and Self/Snacks were at a game recently. Hopefully KU picks up the pressure here, should be a slam dunk if they do.

• @BShark count on it. Everything slowed down on the recruiting front for Self in June (U18, AD search) but they’re really going to get after it this live period. Especially since they won’t get another, similar shot at the 2020 guys.

• @FarmerJayhawk

Big changes in the horizon. I read the NCAA will make it so coaches cannot attend event likes the EYBL Peach Jam. Also, the NBA requirement for OADs might be done away as early as the 2020 which means coaches will not have to spend lots of time courting the OADs and will have more time to scout 3-4 year players. Yes, we will miss watching a few phenoms but, given the experience teams will have, I believe the overall quality of play might actually be higher.

• @JayHawkFanToo

NBA rule change could occur in 2020, but because its a part of the collective bargaining, may not occur until 2023 or 2024 when the current CBA expires.

Even if the change is announced in 2020, it may not be effective immediately. There may be a year or two lead time before it becomes effective.

I do expect that the OAD rule will go away, with the NBA creating more evaluation opportunities for players to get feedback. Right now, getting feedback is the biggest issue. Players can’t contact teams directly except during a short window to determine what their prospects and status are.

• @justanotherfan

It is coming before the end of the agreement. as early as 2021 or even 2020.

• The Union and owners will have a deal long before 2023. Silver wants it gone and the union wants more members. Look for a new G League salary structure to make it a worthwhile endeavor.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see the draft go to 3 rounds eventually to fill the G League with more young guys. The union won’t be super happy with it but I think that’s the only way to build a legit minor league.

• @JayHawkFanToo

The only reason I think there may be more delay is that the NBA has not finished putting the infrastructure into place. Three NBA franchises (Denver, Portland, New Orleans) still do not have direct G League affiliates. Washington’s new team is joining this season. New Orleans was supposed to join as well, but cancelled plans for a team in Pensacola for the upcoming season. Portland is talking about setting their G-League squad up in Beaverton (location of Nike HQ). No location for a Nuggets affiliate has been announced.

The Nuggets have had a team in the past (located in the Denver suburbs), and there have been rumors since 2016 about them getting a new team, possibly located in Omaha or the Denver/Boulder area.

If we assume that the Blazers affiliate joins for the 2019-20 season, the Nuggets and Pelicans would probably be for the 2020-21 season, making 2021 the earliest potential non OAD class since 2005 (assuming both Denver and New Orleans actually move forward with their rumored affiliates).

@FarmerJayhawk

The Union would probably want a new salary structure and more two way contracts to give G-Leaguers more chances to earn money. Right now there are 2 two-way contracts per team. I would guess that goes up to four or five in a new deal.

Like I said above, the infrastructure isn’t all in place yet to make way for a new deal. The Player’s Union would likely be giving up a little bit in terms of revenue to help fund the G-League, and the owners would probably want some of the G-League salary to count against the cap. The only way the players make that deal is if it ends up being better for them overall by protecting the lower earners with two way contracts and incentives.

Still lots to work out on those fronts, but it is coming.

• Bham/Ryan on the Phog said to keep an eye on Lester Quinones.

• have a question for you guys. - How strongly do you feel about Andrew Slater? The reason being was checking out the Kentucky board and they had a post on there where he had made his pick where he thought some guys would land. - He had Scottie Lewis probably ending up at St Johns - - -Antoine at Duke , and then he said JRE - -you would think end up at KU.

They had a response from a guy that said he thought Slater like him or not was usually pretty dead on with his picks. -True / No ? - how do you feel? I do realize that Earl transferred to IMG some were panicked that It meant bad news for us, Like I said though doesn’t really mean a lot - -he just moving to be able to play against stiffer competition I think - - so how reliable do you think Slater is? - I’ve always thought he has been pretty decent. - -ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• jayballer73 said:

have a question for you guys. - How strongly do you feel about Andrew Slater? The reason being was checking out the Kentucky board and they had a post on there where he had made his pick where he thought some guys would land. - He had Scottie Lewis probably ending up at St Johns - - -Antoine at Duke , and then he said JRE - -you would think end up at KU.

They had a response from a guy that said he thought Slater like him or not was usually pretty dead on with his picks. -True / No ? - how do you feel? I do realize that Earl transferred to IMG some were panicked that It meant bad news for us, Like I said though doesn’t really mean a lot - -he just moving to be able to play against stiffer competition I think - - so how reliable do you think Slater is? - I’ve always thought he has been pretty decent. - -ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

Slater is as good as it gets and tied in for a national guy.

• JayHawkFanToo said:

@justanotherfan

It is coming before the end of the agreement. as early as 2021 or even 2020.

Silver has said he must give teams time to plan for the change as the value of those draft picks go up significantly with basically 2 classes to chose from that season. So old trades need to be taken into account. It’s a the timeline is soon, but not next season type of deal.

• @BShark

same school as Achiuwa right?

• @BShark Info? - -who is this?

• BeddieKU23 said:

@BShark

Correct. He has been improving apparently and since KU had been keeping tabs on Achiuwa before that ship sailed, well, they were watching him play too. Could be a good fit. Defends well and has a mean jumper. Handles could use improvement.

• Here are the Rivals predictions for the remaining 2019 top prospects.

• Sticking with my prediction. Jacobs, Williamson, Hurt, JRE. As far as I know, we’re not leading for anyone else.

• Tre Mann “reopening” his recruitment. Had KU as window dressing in his final 3.

• Not sure where KU stands with Will Baker , but I saw a lot of tweets about how well he played this past week in Atlanta.

https://twitter.com/coreyevans_10/status/1018190508559077377?s=21

https://247sports.com/Player/Will-Baker-46038385/

• FarmerJayhawk said:

Sticking with my prediction. Jacobs, Williamson, Hurt, JRE. As far as I know, we’re not leading for anyone else.

If we landed that class - - -I’d be fine - -tickled pink. - - - ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• Woodrow said:

Not sure where KU stands with Will Baker , but I saw a lot of tweets about how well he played this past week in Atlanta.

https://twitter.com/coreyevans_10/status/1018190508559077377?s=21

https://247sports.com/Player/Will-Baker-46038385/

I thought I had seen somewhere that Will Baker was a pretty heavy Duke lean wasn’t he? I could be totally off with this , just thought was myunderstanding at this point anyways. - -ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• @jayballer73 UCLA leads for Baker last I knew. He totally looks like a Dookie though haha

• JRE said:

“A lot of people didn’t recruit me because they think I’m a lock for Kansas, but I always just tell them, you can’t get something if you don’t go after it,” said Robinson-Earl, who played for KU coach Bill Self on the USA Basketball Under-18 national team. “I’m open to everybody. I’m not locked in. I’m just open-minded about everything.”

http://kuhoops.com/ku-basketball-news/214739245/

What’s your % chance for/against KU on JRE @FarmerJayhawk ?

• 70:30 conservatively. The staff is selling him on playing with Hurt. UNC seems more interested in Bacot. Those two are kind of an awkward fit together. Plus they’ll still have upperclassmen in Brooks, Manley, and Garrison.

• BShark said:

BeddieKU23 said:

@BShark

Correct. He has been improving apparently and since KU had been keeping tabs on Achiuwa before that ship sailed, well, they were watching him play too. Could be a good fit. Defends well and has a mean jumper. Handles could use improvement.

Most recent update on Achiuwa says KU still in contact. Not taking much from that if he’s slow playing the process as the update says as well. If KU gets a visit things change. Until then I think the ship has sailed

• Found this gem about Matthew Hurt in Minnesota’s write up. Me Likey. He definitely is a Top 5 player in this down class.

"Rochester John Marshall five star forward Matthew Hurt has every available major conference offer in the nation so his desire is about victories, and outplaying other national names. Coming off a standout three week stint with USA Basketball the national rankings came out across the country and in most places Hurt continues to watch other players move up, and down around him while he stays about in the same spot. What that’s done is motivate Hurt in the Adidas Gauntlet Finale.

In the opening game Hurt and Zeke Nnaji combined to limit Makur Maker to 4 of 18 shooting while Hurt had 17 points on 8 of 15 shooting. Game two Hurt stood opposite national elite talent Jalen Green which motivated Matthew to produce 19 points in 21 minutes on 9 of 14 shooting while Green had a nightmare of a time with the D1 Minnesota length shooting 4 of 12 and scoring 15.

Yesterday was the big one though as the opponent was five star nationally elite big man Isaiah Todd from Team Loaded NC. Matthew defended Todd limiting the 2020 star to only two makes in 14 attempts (7 points total) while Hurt went at Todd, Team Loaded, and everyone in the crowd scoring 29 points on 1o of 14 shooting plus gave six rebounds and six assists. Add in a couple threes, a couple blocks, 7 of 7 foul shooting and it was the type of day even five star players would be jealous of.

John Calipari, Bill Self, Richard Pitino, and a long list others watch Hurt start the game with a baseline attack finished on the other side of the rim beating the rotating defense to the box. Transition plays were next with Hurt using a perfect K-Love outlet pass for a score and then pushing on the break a few possessions later to take contact and finish. A few minutes later Hurt Euro-stepped by a defender in transition for the Ice Man finger roll and his wrap around pass as well as the quick touch pass off the baseline in-bounds play to the cutter went for scores.

The play that angered Hurt was a second reverse lay-up: this time while getting knocked flat on his back. This clearly agitated Hurt who didn’t get the call so Matthew attacked baseline a few possessions later and dunk over a rotating big. Add in another transition throw down and it was a 29 point performance talked about across the nation.

• More Hurt from Louisville roundup.

Playing for D1 Minnesota, Matthew Hurt and his team would go 1-1 on Sunday at the adidas Gauntlet. In his first game, Hurt had 22 points and five rebounds to help his team get a 58-56 win over ITPS Wildcats in the semifinals. Hurt would have 15 points, two assists and five rebounds as his team lost 87-83 to Compton Magic in the title game.

• @BeddieKU23 -This kid is sweet. - -I had a couple of friends who questioned if he could really defend - -sounds like to me he is just fine. – Another ask if he could finish with contact?- - -umm CHECK. - -the kid may not be real flashy -but dam he can ball. - - -ROC CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• Hurt defending at a high level is making me much more comfortable with his floor at the D1 level because it means guys won’t be able to basically play him off the court because he will be at least a serviceable defender, maybe better than that.

• Ok guys got a question here not 2019 related but 2020 - the article I read was on Todd. - # 10 in the class of 2020. My question is this , I feel I just took the statement wrong , making to much out of it BUT just kinda made me wonder about this kid.

What he said was when it come to going to a school one factor will weight heavily – he said I don’t want to team up with anybody. - - -I want it to be my own thing. ( which we all know seems more and more like package deals these days ) - and he doesn’t want that - he doesn’t want to team up with anybody. - Then he says I like to make something out of nothing so people can realize that this kid is special.

OK SO my first response to these statements was WOW almost sound like a me - - me – me guy - - I - - -I – I it’s all about me - - -not team, like he might not be that team player - he wants to be in the limelight - -Just sounded kind of funny that’s all. - So what you think about that statement? - -do you think this is a kid that would fit for Coach Self? - Again I’m sure I just read to much into it - -then again MAYBE not - might be one of those type of guys that could be really disruptive to the team / a cancer who knows. - What do you think? - - I mean over this particular 3 day event , he sure didn’t stick out dominating or nothing - Averaged 8.3 ppg & 4.3 rpg - -not what you would say eye popping numbers - -ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• Ben Simmons?

• @BeddieKU23 Really good stuff. Hurt will be a star for us.

• @jayballer73 He looks like a skinnier version of Collison with more range. I don’t know if he is as tenacious on the boards as nick, but there seem to be alot of similarities. I noticed in his mixtapes that he has really good handles for a guy that tall, and I saw several long outlet passes Hurt threw that made me think of Collision.

• @BeddieKU23 Really thought this was a cool article thanks. - sure hope we can land him - would be sweet. - - Something I found interesting from the person writing the article was talking about how this class ( 19 ) was not deep. - I can’t say for sure one way or another BUT Read off the shiver Ryan Noel was saying just the opposite - -talking about how this class is deeper then the 17-18 yrs. -He was giving an example saying People might be out recruiting guys that are ranked like in the #40’s-60 type range and would still be getting a really good player. - so ya thought that was kind of interesting. - - -ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• @jayballer73

This is a deeper class overall and I agree with Ryan that the talent pool is deeper then 2018 but its a down class for star potential. With all the reclassification’s the 19 class has lost some significant names over the past yr

• KU offered PF Kai Jones today according to Corey Evans of Rivals.

• @Woodrow ya just read that today. - has offers from Arizona - - -George Town – - Illinois - -and some others. - pretty lean 6’10 200 lbs - -they talk about he is moving up fairly fast currently $ 123 by rivals. - - -ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• jayballer73 said:

-they talk about he is moving up fairly fast currently $ 123 by rivals.

$123…Is that his asking hourly rate? 😃

• JayHawkFanToo said:

jayballer73 said:

-they talk about he is moving up fairly fast currently $ 123 by rivals.

$123…Is that his asking hourly rate? 😃

Lmao - - - -dam man lol - - just seen that lol - - -how about # lol - -I can’t believe I did that. - -anyways that would be some pretty decent money lol. - - -ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• @jayballer73

Looks as if Syracuse and Stanford will be tough to beat for Jones. We’ll see if KU ends up getting a visit he plans to cut it down to the programs most serious about him. Plays at the same school Thomas Robinson, Tharpe & Devonte Graham went to so we do have a connection

• So it seems to me anyways that the Zach Harvey recruitment has become more clear. I’m thinking that the recruitment with him is pretty much a is a done deal. - The reason I say this is off the 247 sight , in previous past updates the CB showed KU at 100%- -now showing KU at like 80 % and Ohio State 20 % - -with Harvey making the statement that he REALLY wants to visit Ohio State,

However that’s not why I feel it’s over with him cause to go along with KU being a 100% before we was listed in his top 5 schools - -NOW we are not even listed in his top 5. - Showing his top 5 now being Creighton , Nebraska , Oklahoma , Iowa and Ohio State replacing us, For me it’s no big thing , looks like he continues to slide in the rankings , I mean I’m all for recruiting in State and feel that’s pretty important , yet as we know I just think there are things that we all have knowledge of is what is causing us to back away some , plus on top of that I just feel we are in on better - -better recruits for 19. I think the combination of things has caused this as much as anything - - , I just think probably his minutes would be very limited - -what ya all think? - - ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• @jayballer73

I think his legal issue was the real straw buster. The ship has sailed. KU’s own legal issues are not helping things either, Self has mentioned this affecting them in the current class already.

Is KU really in better position with others? I would say that’s unclear and probably incorrect tbh.

Most national recruiting sites list only JRE, Hurt & Williamson as players KU has a good/realistic chance of landing at the moment. None of them play Harvey’s position.

It certainly looks as if KU is chasing the elite’s. Cole Anthony who’s very quiet about his recruitment. RJ Hampton who’s likely reclassifying to join Duke. Jalen Leque who KU is late to the party. Kira Lewis & Tre Mann have done nothing more then window-dress KU on their lists. Lester Quinones is name thrown around as well.

I’m surprised with the lack of traction KU has had in this class at guard with Vick a Sr and Grimes almost certainly being a OAD. They have Jacobs but you have to wonder about his fit if Moore & Dotson are still on the team in 2019… Grabbing at least 1 elite guard is a must this class, in a class lacking those options. If Self can parlay coaching Cole Anthony into a commitment its monumental

• Hampton is the biggest priority at guard. Duke wants him to stay in 20 while they chase James, Anthony, and Antoine, and possibly have Tre Jones back for a second year. They definitely won’t have all 5. Probably 3. I think Jones, James, and Antoine. KU would be the team to beat for Hampton in that scenario IMO.

• Seen a couple of new names tossed out. I’m not sure about how truly they are involved but - - -One is Nico Mannion who re=classified to the 19 class a 6’3 Pg - -# 17 in the class - -think he is in Favor of Arizona though - Then seen where we are talking with a 2020 kid Henry Coleman a 6’6 small forward from Richmond Virginia - think he will stay back there probably - -Virginia - -or Virginia Tech # 75 at the present but moving up kind of interesting

• @jayballer73

Mannion has heavy interest from a lot of schools, I do not expect KU is player there

• Mannion probably Zona, though Duke could be a factor later on.

• BeddieKU23 said:

@jayballer73

Mannion has heavy interest from a lot of schools, I do not expect KU is player there

Have you heard anything about the other kid from 2020? - - Henry Coleman?

• How about top ranked prospect Janes Wiseman? Looks like he will visiting KU…

• JayHawkFanToo said:

How about top ranked prospect Janes Wiseman? Looks like he will visiting KU…

Hes down to Memphis and Kentucky. Anything else he does is charity

• jayballer73 said:

BeddieKU23 said:

@jayballer73

Have you heard anything about the other kid from 2020? - - Henry Coleman?

Just from the article posted about him. Not familiar with his name yet? Article certainly seemed to indicate schools in the Virginia area would be tough to beat for him