Day dreaming about next years team

• @Texas-Hawk-10 Clay also a senior. I know he doesn’t really factor a lot into this discussion but ya.

• @KirkIsMyHinrich Clay isn’t on scholarship so he has no impact on recruiting.

• I know, but he’s a senior and he’s leaving.

• Tell you for sure , I too have thought about all the crazy talent we are going to have NEXT year , going to be crazy. I also have to try and temper my expectations for next year at the same time. - Let me try and lay it out as best as I can try to explain my reasonings.

First as we have talked about and there are others that feel # 1 - just don’t see any way Newman comes back, he is I know and fully acknowledge that no way is he NBA caliber player , BUT he will take his skills what he has a go over sea’s I think everyone pretty well knew that he was just here for the year after his transition year. # 2 Vick is gone , even if he continues excluding these last three games even if he comes out of this mini funk I truly think he declares , he has shown on some NBA boards already late 1st early 2nd - - I think he is the only one at this point , I just don’t think he is coming back. We are going to be crowded the way it is - - - If Vick goes, chances really good Romeo comes # 3 - -Doke - - -Doke isn’t ready - - yet. Doke is probably the biggest question at this point - -I think he is 50/50 at this point - -we all know the NBA drafts off potential - with his physical size they always look for big men , I’ve said before I think Coach Self recruited McCormack & De Sousa from the train of thought Doke would not be back - -probably threw that sales pitch to them telling them Doke was going to be gone, if not might of been a little harder to get them to come.

Then we get to the player we know will be here. -Very talented, scary good BUT we have the Lawsons really good players, were just going to have to see how they will adjust to a step up bigger Conference - -harder competition - -they have sit for a year - same with Moore - -ya he started at Cal - -still stepping up a bit at KU competition a little better see how he plays out.

Garrett should be fine - will never be a monster or even one of our top options because of his scoring limitations - -ugly shot. - - Cunliffe? - -Are we sure Cunliffe going to stick it out? - I could possibly se another transfer out of him considering the depth next year. -Again good role player but not ever going to be a stud while here I don’t think.

Then we come to our babies - our Mickey D’s - - -Grimes - -Dotson – -McCormack - - love these guys - -it’s not going to take long BUT the thing is no matter how good they are , they a Freshman , it’s going to take time - -we are going to be in at least a smaller version of what Kentucky goes through with the talent they get every year, - look at this year - really good players - you can see them coming along - but I hop and I’m afraid we might have expectations a smidge high from the beginning with the guys. - -I know the 40-0 was a joke not being serious or at least I would hope it was.

I’m just as excited as anyone else -the possibilities are limitless I understand - I just think it’s going to take sometime - we are still going to be really young and in-experienced Grimes - -Dotson - -De Sousa - - McCormack - then Garrett a Soph - not knowing whether Cunliffe going to stick around - -Mitch? - have no idea - will he redshirt? - -still gonna be a fun ride. - -ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• Leave and be a legion. Stay and be a legend.

• @Texas-Hawk-10 Agree that Newman doesn’t have to be gone. But, don’t you think he and his family told Self to assume he would only be there one year…and Self recruited as if he would only be there one year…including informing recruits as such? Or something along those lines. I would think Newman would be welcomed back…but no guarantees about PT in a crowded backcourt…with Self committed to letting Dotson and Grimes get PT. But who really knows…

• @Hawk8086 I think Newman’s family thought he was going to play better and be projected as a 1st rounder. Aspirations have not turned into a reality for the Newman camp. That’s good for us and with a little more time he could work himself into a 1st rounder also good for us.

• http://www.nbadraft.net/2019mock_draft Udoka Azubuike projected in the first round of the 2019 draft.

• https://www.sbnation.com/college-basketball/2018/1/18/16903994/zion-williamson-recruiting-predictions-duke-kentucky-clemson-kansas-south-Carolina

Kansas Kansas is losing its best player, point guard Devonte’ Graham, to graduation. The Jayhawks are losing their best shooter, too, in fellow senior Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk. In their place comes a wave of transfers and impact freshmen who should give Bill Self the ability to play with a ton of lineup combinations. Point guard will be handled by Charlie Moore, who hit 35 percent of his threes as a freshman at Cal last season. Devon Dotson — the No. 26 recruit in ESPN’s rankings — is coming aboard, too. Dotson is another shorter guard who wins with skill and toughness over size. Malik Newman (35 percent from three) should be back at shooting guard. He’ll be joined by five-star recruit Quentin Grimes, who has a reputation as a crafty three-level scorer. There’s also Marcus Garrett, a long-armed guard who has been up and down in his freshman season and has hit only 5-of-26 shots from three. At the forward positions, Kansas can choose from Memphis transfers Dedric Lawson and K.J. Lawson, Arizona State transfer Sam Cunliffe, and potentially Lagerald Vick, though it’s possible he turns pro. Neither of the Lawsons is a great shooter, but Dedric in particular can be a stud. At 6’9, 230 pounds, he averaged 19.2 points per game for Memphis last year. Kansas’ frontcourt is currently paper thin, but that could change next year if Billy Preston finally gets on the court and Silvio De Sousa is ready to contribute. Udoka Azubuike is expected to return as starting center. Kansas did well with Andrew Wiggins and Josh Jackson, and it would do well with Williamson, too. The fit alongside the Lawson brothers seems a bit awkward, but the best players will play. Williamson would be great in Lawrence.

• We have one option at starting PG: Dotson. I’d say Garrett and Grimes are more of a PG in the vision and passing sense than Moore.

• KirkIsMyHinrich said:

I would guess Newman and Preston are gone and Doke will stay. I’m not sure about Vick.

If Vick stays that means there will be Vick/Grimes/Dotson/Moore/Garrett/Cunliffe/KJ and 2 of those 7 will see little-to-no minutes.

I think Doke’s decision affects next season’s team the most. If he leaves, KU is a really good team. If he stays, they are probably the favorite to win it all.

I think KJ will mostly be the back-up 4.

• I went back and looked at the Malik Newman to KU posts from 2016 and His camp had him pull his name out of the draft to improve his draft stock. They were wise enough to recognize that 2nd round draft status doesn’t come with a guarantee. He was at one time projected to go #4 in the draft but he fell to late late second round. They said he needed to go back and improve on his game and work on the things scouts told him to work on. He could have went over seas if money was driving their decision. I think Malik and company will stay put until he either graduates or is projected first round. He has had exposure to Frank Mason and knows that hard work and sticking it out could pay dividends. I guess we will get to see how things play out in April! Until then I am going to cheer for our guys this year and hope for the best!

I love our guys this year and generally don’t think about our future team until the season plays out BUT next year is different for me. For the first time ever (and I mean ever) I feel like we have a juggernaut!

• Texas Hawk 10 said:

Newman doesn’t have to be gone though. KU has 3 incoming players right now and 2 outgoing seniors. Preston will not be back because I don’t see him ever getting eligible. If that happens, KU will be insanely deep and could legitimately go 11 or 12 deep next year. There’s going to be a couple of players good enough to be rotation guys at KU next year who aren’t because of the depth.

If Azubuike is back, I would expect McCormack to be the odd man out when the front court rotation is cut. In the back court, I could see Garrett and Charlie Moore getting the short end of the rotation minutes. That still leaves 2 other guys, possibly Lightfoot and Dotson getting left out of the rotation as well when Self trims it to 8 next year.

Yeah, no way Preston gets eligible at this point.

Agree on McCormack as well. Even if Doke isn’t back I don’t think he will play a ton.

Garrett is ahead of Cunliffe right now. Do you see that changing or are you figuring he is player #12 or #13?

Dotson is starting he isn’t getting left out. He will be the only true PG on the roster. Grimes has the tools and vision but who knows if it comes together for him at PG at the D1 level.

Assuming it gets trimmed to 8 I think…

Starters: Dotson, Grimes, Vick or Langford or Garrett*, Dedric, Doke or Silvio.

Possible regular rotation contributors in order: Silvio, Garrett, KJ, Moore, Mitch

*Garrett if no Vick OR Langford on the roster

I might be a bit high on Garrett especially if his jumper doesn’t improve much.

• @Statmachine

Love your enthusiasm! ROCK CHALK!

My thoughts on next year mostly focus on experience. Any of our current guys sitting on the fence who later decide to come back will surely be a HUGE help to us!

I’m glad we are landing top-notch talent… but I’m not thrilled about becoming another Kentucky. We need a balance of over-the-top talent WITH experienced quality players.

Hey… don’t give up on THIS team! We have plenty of talent, and never look past Devonte!

Last night, I watched the WVU game for the third time. This time… I was overwhelmed by how much Devonte did in that game to help us win! He had some bad moments… but he didn’t let those moments slow him down, and in the end, Devonte’s energy level was OFF-THE-CHARTS!

• Statmachine said:

https://www.sbnation.com/college-basketball/2018/1/18/16903994/zion-williamson-recruiting-predictions-duke-kentucky-clemson-kansas-south-Carolina

Kansas Kansas is losing its best player, point guard Devonte’ Graham, to graduation. The Jayhawks are losing their best shooter, too, in fellow senior Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk. In their place comes a wave of transfers and impact freshmen who should give Bill Self the ability to play with a ton of lineup combinations. Point guard will be handled by Charlie Moore, who hit 35 percent of his threes as a freshman at Cal last season. Devon Dotson — the No. 26 recruit in ESPN’s rankings — is coming aboard, too. Dotson is another shorter guard who wins with skill and toughness over size. Malik Newman (35 percent from three) should be back at shooting guard. He’ll be joined by five-star recruit Quentin Grimes, who has a reputation as a crafty three-level scorer. There’s also Marcus Garrett, a long-armed guard who has been up and down in his freshman season and has hit only 5-of-26 shots from three. At the forward positions, Kansas can choose from Memphis transfers Dedric Lawson and K.J. Lawson, Arizona State transfer Sam Cunliffe, and potentially Lagerald Vick, though it’s possible he turns pro. Neither of the Lawsons is a great shooter, but Dedric in particular can be a stud. At 6’9, 230 pounds, he averaged 19.2 points per game for Memphis last year. Kansas’ frontcourt is currently paper thin, but that could change next year if Billy Preston finally gets on the court and Silvio De Sousa is ready to contribute. Udoka Azubuike is expected to return as starting center. Kansas did well with Andrew Wiggins and Josh Jackson, and it would do well with Williamson, too. The fit alongside the Lawson brothers seems a bit awkward, but the best players will play. Williamson would be great in Lawrence.

He isn’t picking KU.

• @BShark That’s not why I posted that. I hope he goes to UT out of no where just so we get to spank his butt 2 times! I only referenced that post for you all. Talking heads think Doke and Newman are returning too!

• I think everyone is just hoping Zion ends up staying in South Carolina.

If Cal gets another 5* wing to come in after watching Diallo and Knox not live up to the hype, I’ll be dumbfounded.

I personally think Zion to UNC is the final decision… Someone needs to be the next face of the Jordan brand. Zion has that “it” factor about him. I just get that feeling.

• @Kcmatt7

Is the magic of Calipari abating? Have prospects finally figured out the emperor has no clothes?

UK is now a marginal top 25 team and fans cannot be happy. With the current level of play plus a deep run into the tournament and KU can shave 3-5 games of the all time wins lead. 😃

• @Kcmatt7 Zion is now considered a strong Clemson lean, but SC pulling up, according to local sources. People who watched him signing autographs at a Myrtle Beach tourney talked about how animated he was posing for pics with people in SC and Clemson garb.

He has said being injured for weeks really helped him decide because he said it revealed a lot to him about whether coaches contacting him were interested in him as a person as well as for his game.

• @mayjay Oh I know what his leans are. I just have a weird gut feeling that he could end up wearing Carolina Blue. Something about it just fits in my head.

• @Kcmatt7 And I am thinking he could well decide to join KU. Those “coach caring” things resonated with my recollection of so many comments over the years about HCBS.

Then, Dok, Preston, and De Sousa all come back, joining the Lawton transfers. Overloaded with all those studs playing up front, we would be the first team ever to experiment with 1 guard and 4 bigs, and we would lose over 25 games before winning the B12 tourney and advancing to the F4.

• @mayjay lol

• Newman is the least NBA ready player at Ku since josh Selby. No chance he is a first rounder this year.

• @Fightsongwriter Oh, you are very wrong. I think we can all agree Tyler Self was much less NBA ready–oh, wait, he did get an NBA job, didn’t he?

My mistake!

• @mayjay Lol. Sorry my bad I should have qualified that…high tier scholarship player.

• I think Dok is going to go into “beast mode” in March… and then look so good, that he goes in the first round.

• @StLJhawk Very well could happen. A few good games at the end of the season can move a guy up the draft board.

• Lots of posts next year, but not much size unless Dok comes back.

• dylans said:

Lots of posts next year, but not much size unless Dok comes back.

Eh, enough size. Silvio would probably start at center. 6’9’’ 245 isn’t as big as Doke but will get the job done especially in college. Dedric and Dave also 6’9’’. You don’t need a 7’, it’s just nice lol.

• @BShark Zion for bulk!

• @BShark I don’t like a roster of 6’9” posts. It’s a recipe for March failure. Especially if it means a roster of 6’6”-6’7” posts in reality. It’s tough to protect the rim without a 6’10’ + post with wingspan, when you have a bunch of freshman guards playing.

• @mayjay Sheron2.0

• dylans said:

@BShark I don’t like a roster of 6’9” posts. It’s a recipe for March failure. Especially if it means a roster of 6’6”-6’7” posts in reality. It’s tough to protect the rim without a 6’10’ + post with wingspan, when you have a bunch of freshman guards playing.

Dedric has a 7’2.5’’ wingspan.

Silvio is a bit of a trex at 6’10’’ but has the athleticism to make up for it.

McCormack recently measured at 6’10’’, couldn’t find his wingspan.

We will be fine.

• @BShark Was just going to talk about how lanky Dedric is. He is a more than serviceable college Center.

Big Dave is a large fellow as well.

Plenty of size next season.

• @BShark

Bingo we will be fine!

• My only question mark for next season is the wing, and it’s just uncertainty, not thinking it’ll be a weakness. We’ll have either Vick, Langford, or Garrett starting at the 3. We’ll be totally fine.

• @BShark I hope you’re right