Recruiting Thread

• And the mystery player most likely.

• I sure hope it isn’t this Keonte Kennedy that was thrown out - -now see if this would be the case then that’s would be exactly what to me what I was talking about. - - That makes it look more like Coach just looking for a body - -any body to fill the roster.

As I stated before unless he could get a kid that could come in and benefit us properly then we would be better off just hanging on to the spot. -I mean I have nothing against this kid if that’s who it would be BUT being ranked # 229 in the Nation and the 54th best SG - I just don’t get that to use our opening at this point – I just can’t believe that he could help our need enough at this point - -SAVE IT - to me that would be a waste of a scholarship and tie it up for years unless they ended up running him off the following year because of better possibilities - and that wouldn’t be right either. - - there is nothing wrong with hanging on to it if we can’t find the right one. - -ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• Bill does not sit on scholarships. He has proven this over and over again. I agree, I would love to see him sit on scholarships. But he is a traditional guy and he would rather have another body than an empty chair. Just the way he is.

• Players are needed not just for games but also for practice; I know sometimes they use student managers to get bodies when they are short.

• @BShark AND if I were a betting man and wanting to spend more time I would be will to bet that for every ONE that you try to justify with - I could give you THREE that were busts - - and spent 3/4 of their time end up riding the pine.

However like a fiend of mine brought up - -really no need to put much credence in any of these mystery names being thrown out and till we see solid evidence that Coach Self has been seen by reliable source as actually recruiting ANY type of mystery player. - -Right now all we have is people throwing out a bunch of names. - Like my friends said also in the article this kid didn’t really bring KU that much into the topic.

Until it’s been confirmed that Coach Self is actually recruiting these kids then - -pssssssssssssssssssssssssssssst. - -Easy to toss names out, nobody other then Self really knows for sure other then that it’s all speculation

• Kcmatt7 said:

Bill does not sit on scholarships. He has proven this over and over again. I agree, I would love to see him sit on scholarships. But he is a traditional guy and he would rather have another body than an empty chair. Just the way he is.

Correct. From what I understand Self is pretty honest with them too. He’s not telling them you’re going to come in and start. It’s going to be a battle.

His batting average on late additions is pretty decent.

I did find it interesting that the staff seems to think Agbaji can contribute right away. I still think he’s going to be near the bottom of the guards next season.

• jayballer73 said:

@BShark AND if I were a betting man and wanting to spend more time I would be will to bet that for every ONE that you try to justify with - I could give you THREE that were busts - - and spent 3/4 of their time end up riding the pine.

However like a fiend of mine brought up - -really no need to put much credence in any of these mystery names being thrown out and till we see solid evidence that Coach Self has been seen by reliable source as actually recruiting ANY type of mystery player. - -Right now all we have is people throwing out a bunch of names. - Like my friends said also in the article this kid didn’t really bring KU that much into the topic.

Until it’s been confirmed that Coach Self is actually recruiting these kids then - -pssssssssssssssssssssssssssssst. - -Easy to toss names out, nobody other then Self really knows for sure other then that it’s all speculation

No that’s the point…they aren’t busts… Kids like Malik Newman who are top 10 and but up bad numbers at MSST, that’s a bust.

It’s worth filling out the roster even if the conversion rate on late low ranked additions is only 25%.

I’m torn on how to count Milton Doyle for Self. He never contributed for KU but he was a very good player and I was sad he didn’t stick it out in Lawrence. Maybe count him as a half, lol.

Anyway Self going back to 2011 class late signings only which I will quantify as after the season. I’m also not counting late additions like Josh Jackson, for obvious reasons. I really had to go back to 2011 for more data points. Even Lucas, though lowly ranked was a November commit.

Lagerald Vick

Devonte Graham

Svi

Naadir Tharpe

Braeden Anderson

Mervyn Lindsay

So Self is batting .667 on late wildcard additions somewhat recently. And you have to go back to 2011 to find bad ones. Not too bad really.

• All that said, I haven’t seen anything to indicate Kansas is going after him hard at all.

• @BShark Must really think he can play D and shoot well enough from 3. It is definitely a good thing if it happens… I’m skeptical too though.

• Wiggins and Selby signed real late too. But so did the stache’. Kevin Young was picked up late in the recruiting cycle. Was Wesley a late addition as well?

Was the other junk big that couldn’t play the Braedon Anderson year Peters? Or was it a desperation signinging too?

• @dylans Peters was actually a really early commit. Dunno about Wesley. Wasn’t counting obvious high level players like Selby and Wiggins. You are right about Young and Whitman but they are transfers so I didn’t include them in this.

• @BShark Still examples that Bill sure as hell isn’t going to sit on a scholly.

• @BShark your bringing up names but NONE of these that you mentioned were rated as low as this kid, your not convincing me that a kid that is the 54th best shooting guard is going to be help a major D-1 school enough to benefit using the scholarship sorry just not.

Just like with Bill adapting his offense to the type of players he has had after the Quote unquote that’s just not Bill Self - -well Bill adapted to his players - -So now very likely he needs to change his stance IF that’s HIS STANCE - time to change about not holding on - -instead of filling a spot just to fill a spot - this kid can not help IF he happened to be the one - which I don’t think he really is - -BUT IF he was - -that is not a good move. - -My opinion - -you have yours

• @jayballer73 I don’t know that he is vouching for the specific player as much as the staffs ability to identify a piece that can in fact contribute at some point.

• jayballer73 said:

@BShark your bringing up names but NONE of these that you mentioned were rated as low as this kid, your not convincing me that a kid that is the 54th best shooting guard is going to be help a major D-1 school enough to benefit using the scholarship sorry just not.

Just like with Bill adapting his offense to the type of players he has had after the Quote unquote that’s just not Bill Self - -well Bill adapted to his players - -So now very likely he needs to change his stance IF that’s HIS STANCE - time to change about not holding on - -instead of filling a spot just to fill a spot - this kid can not help IF he happened to be the one - which I don’t think he really is - -BUT IF he was - -that is not a good move. - -My opinion - -you have yours

Svi was ranked 239th overall and the 59th SG https://kansas.247sports.com/Season/2014-Basketball/Commits

and as I read the thread I see @BShark already posted that

• Kcmatt7 said:

@jayballer73 I don’t know that he is vouching for the specific player as much as the staffs ability to identify a piece that can in fact contribute at some point.

It’s a lot of things. Definitely what you said in that staff definitely doesn’t like to leave open scholarships. Also rankings miss guys for a number of reasons. I just think it’s best to fill the scholarships if you can especially when the staff has shown they can succeed developing lower ranked players. It’s extremely low risk because if it doesn’t work out they can always transfer to a level better suited for their abilities.

I’m not vouching for this particular kid yet. I’ll check out what I can of him on youtube if KU offers.

• I seem to recall a low ranked recruit that was slated to attend Towson and another one headed to Apalachia State and they worker out pretty well. Also, Coach Self has in the past given available scholarships to walkons such as Tehan, Wesley and Young instead of bringing new players.

• @BShark Yes, Peters was signed early. I just couldn’t remember if it was him or Lucas that signed that year. (Wasn’t Lucas late ?) If it was Landon I recant my junk big statement, even if others wouldn’t. Lol

• Whatever happened to Peters after his concussion and he left UA?

• @Gorilla72 This is all I know http://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2014/05/02/arizona-forward-zach-peters-ends-basketball-career-due-to-medical-issues/

I thought maybe he played somewhere else later, but I don’t see anything to support that.

• @dylans - that’s as far as I got too. Thanks!

• He actually did quit playing basketball afaik.

@dylans I thought so too but all the stuff I found on Lucas said he committed in November. Lucas was definitely a back-up plan though.

• @BShark Maybe late shouldn’t just be defined by the calendar so much as the recruiting cycle. If almost all the known good players are signed, it’s late!

November 13th is not late at all. Lucas definitely doesn’t count.

• dylans said:

@BShark Maybe late shouldn’t just be defined by the calendar so much as the recruiting cycle. If almost all the known good players are signed, it’s late!

November 13th is not late at all. Lucas definitely doesn’t count.

If you judge late as missing on other targets and then settling Lucas and Mason are part of the equation.

• Ramey to Texas. Bam right in the nads Mutards.

• @BShark

0_1525082623102_upload-4acbc25b-b3f1-4c47-bcaa-2984475b91ca

The high hopes of a Missouri Fan

in 2020 LOL

• BShark said:

Ramey to Texas. Bam right in the nads Mutards.

Damn. Expected though. Texas was the only team really after him which I think says something… Ramey can be good in time but we all know Shaka doesn’t help that development curve. You either show up good or else

• BeddieKU23 said:

@BShark

0_1525082623102_upload-4acbc25b-b3f1-4c47-bcaa-2984475b91ca

The high hopes of a Missouri Fan

in 2020 LOL

Bahahaha there is so much to tackle here.

Ok so…Mark Smith who was rancid at Illinois is going to be great.

KJ Santos who had an alright fr year in the horizon and was a low ranked recruit? STUD.

The best one listed might be Javon Pickett who I can only assume they took to help with Liddell, who they might not get.

But what he’s really forgetting is that Cuonzo is still the HC. He’s had better rosters than this at CAL and TENN, and we see how that went.

• BeddieKU23 said:

BShark said:

Ramey to Texas. Bam right in the nads Mutards.

Damn. Expected though. Texas was the only team really after him which I think says something… Ramey can be good in time but we all know Shaka doesn’t help that development curve. You either show up good or else

He visited Louisville again recently but they are still radioactive.

Decent class for Shaka but who knows if he can do anything with it.

• So Nike is really ponying up for Oregon. Stacked class already (#4, #18, #41, #70 recruits) and might add Brandon Williams + Okoro reclassing to 2018.

• BShark said:

So Nike is really ponying up for Oregon. Stacked class already (#4, #18, #41, #70 recruits) and might add Brandon Williams + Okoro reclassing to 2018.

Stocking talent to play on national tv 5 times

• @BShark

Beggars can’t be choosers. The Porter brothers are gone and and the one year perfect storm of recruits for MU due to hiring daddy and Cuonzo Martin’s honeymoon are both over and it is back to taking what they can rather than what they want.

• @JayHawkFanToo I wouldn’t disagree… I just find it funny that Missouri fans are hyped about that roster. I guess when you’ve had to deal with Kim Anderson rosters…

• @BShark

…we would be delighted to win 3 games in football…😄

• Zany theory (read: 100% complete speculation). What if Quickley wants to decommit from UK? They’re already recruiting over him with Maxey and Hagans. We could start him at the 2 pretty easily.

• @FarmerJayhawk

24/7 has both Grimes and Dotson ranked ahead of Quickley; no way he starts over them. I rather take Cremo who fills a bigger need for KU.

• Any update on Mystery Man? I figured if there was any truth to this rumor that we would have heard something by now.

• @FarmerJayhawk I know you already qualified it but yeah he loves UK.

@RockkChalkk Scott was on the radio the other day sounded like the player was still committed and could be in play, but KU prefers Cremo.

• JayHawkFanToo said:

@FarmerJayhawk

24/7 has both Grimes and Dotson ranked ahead of Quickley; no way he starts over them. I rather take Cremo who fills a bigger need for KU.

My bad, should’ve been more clear. He’d start alongside them both, moving Grimes to the 3.

• So am I hearing this correctly you guys think Immanuel quickley is going to decommit from Kentucky to join Kansas?

• ReggieKansas said:

So am I hearing this correctly you guys think Immanuel quickley is going to decommit from Kentucky to join Kansas?

No

• @BShark it’s probably not very likely that quickley is going to decommit from Kentucky anyway

• @ReggieKansas lol no. I needed a break from work this afternoon so I asked a question.

• Only reason I mention it is because he’s getting recruited over, we have a need, and we finished 2nd (by A LOT) in that one. Figured it would be a fun way to pass a slow day or two.

• Jordan Brown picked Nevada today.

Strange times abound

• BeddieKU23 said:

Jordan Brown picked Nevada today.

Strange times abound

LOL

• Remember the Mitchell Robinson saga? Took another turn today when he withdrew from the combine. He would’ve been terrific at KU if Self would’ve made him get his head on straight.

• @FarmerJayhawk

He was projected bottom of first round, probably will not help him to skip the combine, only top players get away with it. Whoever is advising him is not helping; I see China in his future.

• He might have a verbal. I read that.