Who Do You Want Shooting?

• In certain situations, plays are diagrammed to get a preferred player a good look. The player doesn’t always get open and take the shot, but the play is diagrammed to make him the first option for a shot. Different match-ups and the desire to keep opponents guessing in different games can change who you choose sometimes, but there are tendencies of who you choose over a long season. This exercises is about those tendencies, not the exceptions. In picking who you want to shoot the shot, pick the guy you would tend to want to diagram the play for. You can specify the play, too, if you wish, or not. I threw in technical fouls at the end just out of curiosity to see who everyone thinks will be the money man at the FT stripe this season.

First Shot of the First Half:

First Shot After First Time Out:

Shot to Break the Other Team’s Come from Behind Momentum:

Shot to Break KU Out of a Scoring Drought:

Shot to Start the Second Half:

First Shot After the Last TV Time Out of the Second Half with KU +3:

First Shot After the Last TV Time Out of the Second Half with KU-3:

Last Shot Of Game with KU Down One:

Last Shot of Game with KU Down Two:

Technical Fouls:

• “I want a guy that can make the shot but also a guy that can handle missing” -Phil Jackson after Steve Kerrs game winner in the finals.

• Who do I want shooting? In any of those situations I want, in order, DG, Vick, Malik, Svi. Those four guys are our best shooters. If the first and second options aren’t open, go on down the list. My feeling is that DG, more often than not, will find his shot one way or another

• First Shot of the First Half: I want to toss it in to Azuibuke to get him untracked and to make the opponent respect his power move inside.

First Shot After First Time Out: Gotta be Malik coming off a curl screen a la Ben Mac.

Shot to Break the Other Team’s Come from Behind Momentum: Vick from 3.

Shot to Break KU Out of a Scoring Drought: Devonte driving for a short trey.

Shot to Start the Second Half: Inside to Preston to get him untracked.

First Shot After the Last TV Time Out of the Second Half with KU +3:

First Shot After the Last TV Time Out of the Second Half with KU-3: Svi off the weave because he is tough when he can drive or pop the trey.

Last Shot Of Game with KU Down One: Devonte on the drive.

Last Shot of Game with KU Down Two: Devonte from 3.

Technical Fouls: Devonte because he’s money.

• Devonte

Devonte

Devonte

Devonte

Devonte

Devonte

Devonte

Devonte

Devonte

Devonte

• Jb, I would say it is yet too early in the season to answer most of your questions. Also, specific opponents will contribute toward decision making. That said, I would, at this stage, trust Graham more than most of his teammates to take most of your posed shots. But if Bill Self promotes that scenario, then the path to successful shooting will increase incrementally for other gunners who are not guarded so closely as Devonte.